Oregon Tour Bus Crash

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
With all the interest in tour buses that has recently been shown on the boards, is there any word yet on what kind of bus was involved in the Oregon crash of 30 DEC. And although it is still way too early in the investigation to speculate, is one brand of bus better than another in handling treacherous road conditions?

I've dug up all the info I can about this crash but have only been able to find one picture. From that picture I can't see the front of the bus which is the easiest way to identify it but I can see that the roof is warped and the rear end fell off. The tag axle was dislodged into the rear of the body.

I will continue efforts to identify this bus.

Edit: Anybody that can identify it, please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
That bus was apparently a Prevost H3-??. It is slightly heavier than a MCI D-Series. It is also taller, 146 inches compared to 137 inches. This height could have been a factor in this crash.

I think that Mijoo should have cancelled or suspended the run due to inclement weather, especially if that route was notorious for its dangers. The huge height of their bus obviously didn't help, either.

I don't know because I haven't taken that route in winter, but now that this happened I'm not gonna risk it! It seemed fine when riding in May (2010).

Last edited by a moderator:
The one time I was on that route, riding with a friend of mine, was in June. What I'd really like to see is the resumption of the Pioneer happen so I can ride that route via Amtrak. As I've said in so many other occasions, I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'd much rather be on the train than I-84!

The one time I was on that route, riding with a friend of mine, was in June. What I'd really like to see is the resumption of the Pioneer happen so I can ride that route via Amtrak. As I've said in so many other occasions, I'm not holding my breath on that one. I'd much rather be on the train than I-84!
I want to see the Pioneer and DW back, too. I'm personally not a fan of controlled-access roads.

Back