Oregon Talgos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks better in person than in these pictures. But wait 'till you get on board. One was on display in PDX about a month ago and the interior was very nice, roomy, and comfy; in both coach and BC.

I think somebody alrady answered this question but I forget, so is that front car a locomotive or does it need Genie or other locomotive to power it, and thats just the cab car?

I think somebody alrady answered this question but I forget, so is that front car a locomotive or does it need Genie or other locomotive to power it, and thats just the cab car?
Yes, it's just a cab car there should be a locomotive on the other end. I do believe however that it contains a generator for head end power.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I'm not exactly a fan of the Talgo services on the Cascades route.

Not because of the ugly duckling cab car so much as the rough and bumpy ride.

Although my experience with such considerations is limited I believe this is due to the single axle design hunting and jostling around while crossing conventional North American switches.

Has anyone ridden Talgos in other countries, and if so have you noticed a difference?

They don't look like the kind of train that would be rough and bumpy from the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
DA,

In my experience, the ride varies considerably, depending on track conditions. It's generally quite smooth between Seattle and Portland, but it's rougher north of Everett.

In case anyone was wondering, I understand from the photographer that the above picture was taken at Mccarver Street in Tacoma, between downtown and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. I believe that the train is going southbound (away from the camera), which is actually geographically northwest at that point. Search for 'mccarver street tacoma' on a map, and you'll see what I mean.

I saw Mt Bachelor sitting at King St. Station last month and I think it looks just as goofy - and just as much LIKE Goofy - in person as it does in pictures.

Yes, it's just a cab car there should be a locomotive on the other end. I do believe however that it contains a generator for head end power.

If Iam on the ball . The train needs locos to push pull them

the new talgos have a built in cabbage car NPCU . the dust buster end is the NPCU
The end pictured above is whats referred to as the "Power Car" it's basically a cab control stand and a HEP generator. There is a regular (will probably be a P42 most of the time) Engine on the other end, although I probably wouldn't be surprised to see an F59PHI powering it on occasion.

peter

Nice juxtaposition of photos, there does appear to be a familial resemblance!

Any train that can go faster than 100 mph is a step in the right direction in my book. I wish there was a way to get the Empire Builder the additional tracks, trainsets and the higher priority it would need to get up to 110 mph over a portion of its route.

Wishful thinking.

OH My! . My folks have asked me to come home for a few days to eugene .......... Hmmmm

I was gonna take the late train but Shoot ...the chance to be the first AUer on the" ugly Winnebago" for revenue .

* Ponders *

Speaking of names ........ I know there was a old Loco nick named the Winnebago ,

I purpose we re-use the name and call the new Talgos ,Winnebago's.

The Winnebago Tribe were known to be a rather mobile, just like the new Talgos ....

And the front I swear looks like a RV from the 80s

http://media.oregonlive.com/commuting/photo/130626-mt-bachelor---eugene-or-5jpg-cc6c4dfa7ba980c3.jpg

compare with

http://ballew.org/winnebago/images/78Chieftain1.jpg

I wonder why the PNW is useing so many of the P42s when the F59s are made for the route ( as in purchased to be use by it )

ha the CS the last 2 times I was on it had a F59 on as Loco #2 )

Well before the new sets were introduced there were six F59PHIs and five trainsets. With the introduction of the two new trainsets that puts you at a six motor to seven trainset ratio. So theoretically, even if all of the motors were available (nothing in for inspections or maintenance) you'd still need at least one motor from the intercity pool.

One was on display in PDX about a month ago and the interior was very nice, roomy, and comfy; in both coach and BC.
Does roomy include the luggage racks at end of the car? Last summer our folding bikes barely fit in the tiny racks.

First ride on Cascades talgo yesterday - SEA/ Aly. Mixed reactions. The 5 MPH route from Portland south really needs to brought up to 1940 specs. Talked about ADA compliance with snack attendant. He says that major issue on new talgo trainset is that counter is way too high to work for wheel-chair pax. Other issues but not related to ADA.

First ride on Cascades talgo yesterday - SEA/ Aly. Mixed reactions. The 5 MPH route from Portland south really needs to brought up to 1940 specs.
That's Union Pacific. They're not fond of improving track speed, often even if they're offered money to do so.

So, other than the Turkey Week specials, have either of the new trains been spotted in revenue service?

So, other than the Turkey Week specials, have either of the new trains been spotted in revenue service?
The Thanksgiving week specials used regular amfleet equipment as far as I know.
My bad. The new equipment was apparently used over Thanksgiving week (see post #22 on this thread) but

not specifically on the extra trains. (Though why would they need Amfleet equip if they had an extra Talgo in

service?)

Anyhow, my question remains, since the photo in post #22 was taken, have either of the new Talgos been spotted

in revenue service?

ODOT has posted its new Cascades schedule, effective January 6th. As rumored, it includes a s/b morning departure PDX-EUG with a return

afternoon trip EUG-PDX. For the first time, it will be possible to make a same day round-trip by train from Portland to Eugene. (However, this

requires a 6 a.m. departure from PDX on weekdays...not sure how popular that will be). My understanding is that the afternoon run will continue

up to Seattle. But the morning s/b PDX departure will have no connections from SEA, which (IMO) will weaken its potential impact.

At the same time, the actual number of departures will be the same. So the "victims" are n/b EUG-PDX 504 and the PDX-EUG portion of 509, which

will be replaced by a Thruway bus. Left unchanged are 500/507. There are additional Thruway bus departures, and Woodburn has been added as a stop (2x daily in either direction)

for some Thruway runs.

ODOT also says the two new Talgo sets will be "rotating in and out of service" in the short term and will "be fully participating in “revenue service”

in the Amtrak Cascades corridor beginning Jan. 6, 2014.

Press release and new schedule are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back