Only 12 hours ride alone. Should I get the roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, Amtrak newbie here. Heard of the Coast Starlight ride many times and decide to take it from LAX to Emeryville. It'll be a 12 hour ride just by myself. Does it worth spending an additional $100 to get a roomette instead of coach? Thank you all

Hi all, Amtrak newbie here. Heard of the Coast Starlight ride many times and decide to take it from LAX to Emeryville. It'll be a 12 hour ride just by myself. Does it worth spending an additional $100 to get a roomette instead of coach? Thank you all
Aloha

As much as I love the CS if only going from LAX to EMY Coach is fine. once I went to San Jose in coach. And a return from SF was also in coach.

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute upgrading to a roomette! Your meals will be included, but best of all, you will have access to the Pacific Parlour Car. Wine tasting in the afternoon, a movie in the evening, less crowded than the lounge, and just an over-all special experience.

Thank you for the replies. It's a train trip I have been wanting to take for a long time. I'm sure I will enjoy the ride in coach.. but roomette sounds nice... ahhh...

How much days ahead of time I need to purchase the ticket?

Welcome!
hi.gif

If you are doing this trip round trip, I might consider taking a roomette (if a similar price) southbound. The reason is that you still get to use the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC), but you will have 3 included meals southbound. (Northbound, you only have 2 included meals.)

Thank you for the replies. It's a train trip I have been wanting to take for a long time. I'm sure I will enjoy the ride in coach.. but roomette sounds nice... ahhh...

How much days ahead of time I need to purchase the ticket?
Umm, "NOW". Sleeping accommodations sell out months and months in advance, and even if they don't completely sell out, the longer you wait, the higher your sleeper cost is likely to be.

I'd go for it at $100 bucks, as was said, you get a meal or two, and the luxury of riding in the Pacific Parlour Car. Something NOT to be missed, one of a kind, and only available to Coast Starlight Sleeping Car passengers.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad it's an active good community.

Just checked the schedule it takes off at LAX at 12:15pm. Will I get lunch and dinner?

The price is $69 coach and $156 with roomette. I think everybody seems to suggest getting the roomette. =)

Thanks for the warm welcome! Glad it's an active good community.

Just checked the schedule it takes off at LAX at 12:15pm. Will I get lunch and dinner?

The price is $69 coach and $156 with roomette. I think everybody seems to suggest getting the roomette. =)
Why are you still posting HERE! You should be making your reservation NOW!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Making reservation with or without roomette???? I'm still debating =)

Would it be ODD to have just one person in the roomette? or nobody really cares?

Aloha Again

if you use the sleeper the value of the meals on the high side would be about 50 dollars. Not sure about the value of the wine tasting, but I seem to remember that coach passengers can pay extra for that. The PPC car is really nice, but for that short of a trip, in my opinion just not worth 100 dollars.

If I go with the roomette, will they be assigning the room to me? Would I be able to pick upstairs or downstairs?

Making reservation with or without roomette???? I'm still debating Would it be ODD to have just one person in the roomette? or nobody really cares?
It's a little wasteful I suppose, but honestly nobody will care. I've rented many roomettes alone myself with no issue. I've also seen other folks do the same thing and nobody ever made any comments or even batted an eye. Twelve hours is certainly doable in coach, but having access to the Pacific Parlor Car might be worth the upgrade. I would normally say it mainly depends on what you're looking for. If you want privacy along with an older crowd go with the roomette. If you want to focus on meeting people among a younger crowd then go with the coach seat. But on the Coast Starlight the sleeper folks also have the PPC car to enjoy. If you're making a return trip maybe take coach on the outbound leg and then take a sleeper on the return leg?

OK OK.. I am going to go with roomette. My return is from SJC to LAX, a shorter ride. Then I will come back in coach. Good?

Oh also the price difference is $87. Consider free meal.. I will go for it.

Will I get 2 meals since it boards at 12:15pm?

OK OK.. I am going to go with roomette. My return is from SJC to LAX, a shorter ride. Then I will come back in coach. Good?
Sounds good. BTW, you can request specific room (including upper/lower) if you call. Unfortunately the website is still too dumb to handle specific room requests at this time. You also cannot request a specific side of the train no matter how you reserve it as the orientation of each car is handled randomly and is thus completely unknown to the reservations system. For specific sides of the train try to arrive early and then make your preference known to the sleeper car attendant and see if they can accommodate your request. Hope that helps. :cool:

You guys are great and very helpful. I just made the reservation.

My return trip is this Sunday. I will be just go with coach on the return. Should I make reservation now or later? Is it easy to change or cancel reservation?

I used to drive everywhere. Now I think I find a whole new way to entry traveling =)

Is WIFI available through the entire train ride?

You guys are great and very helpful. I just made the reservation.

My return trip is this Sunday. I will be just go with coach on the return. Should I make reservation now or later? Is it easy to change or cancel reservation?

I used to drive everywhere. Now I think I find a whole new way to entry traveling =)

Is WIFI available through the entire train ride?
Aloha

If your trip is that close, definitely make the reservation now.

Also on my last CS trip I had 2 bars of signal in the second sleeper from the PPC car. the WiFi worked only a few hours the first day. I used the sleeper as I was going to Portland.

Would it be ODD to have just one person in the roomette? or nobody really cares?
We hear once in a while of a single or couple getting an attack of scruples for booking a Family Bedroom, but never a single booking a roomette.

I've done a single in a roomette many times. If I was going with someone I might just bite the bullet and get a bedroom, but a roomette is ideal for a single.

I've rented roomettes, "deluxe" bedrooms, and family bedrooms as a single person traveling alone. Never once has anyone said anything or implied disapproval through body language. The only time anyone ever spoke up was when I had too many folks in the room. ^_^

Don't worry about booking the roomette with only one person. They are so small that you can barely fit two people at night anyway. I have stayed in a roomette many times alone and recently stayed in a bedroom alone.

Since you pay for the room only once (no matter how many people are in it), Amtrak certainly won't care since they're not missing out on any money.

Just called and talked to an agent. She's very friendly, informative and helpful. Unlike most company customer service agents, we have some laughs through the call. She confirms me I'm on the upperdeck. Need to talk to the conductor if I will have the ocean view on the day I board. Lunch and dinner will be included. I'm ready!

Just called and talked to an agent. She's very friendly, informative and helpful. Unlike most company customer service agents, we have some laughs through the call. She confirms me I'm on the upperdeck. Need to talk to the conductor if I will have the ocean view on the day I board. Lunch and dinner will be included. I'm ready!
I wouldn't worry about what side you are on, just get to the

car as soon as you board, tell your Sleeping Car Attendant, (SCA) where you are going........ THAT is where you want to be to watch the scenery. You can even eat your meals in that car, only sleeping car PAX can visit and/or eat their meals in the PPC. (different video)

I wouldn't worry about what side you are on, just get to the

If you have the cash and if you really really like the experience, check with the conductor when you get on the train for your return trip. Ask if an upgrade is available. If it is, you'll get the lowest price possible on it. ("Cash" Being a monetary term, rather than physical. The conductor can take a credit card if you want to upgrade onboard)

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the roomette. Meals are included and you get to use the PPC, plus you can get some privacy in your room and take a nap if you want etc. It's such a different experience riding in sleeper versus riding in coach IMO. Even for a day trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back