One way long distance trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregL

Service Attendant
We are starting to plan a long distance trip.We would like to fly out of Chicago to Seatle or Los Angeles, then take Amtrak back to Chicago, or vice versa. Anyone ever done is? We don't really have enough time to the whole trip via Amtrak.Also would consider San Fransisco area. Any help would be appreciated. A airport that is conveniently located is a plus!

If you can find a reasonable airfare for the one-way trip to SEA,SFO,LAX -

This kind of trip can work very well. I've done it a couple of times.

On the Amtrak side there are many options - to and from SEA,SFO,LAX -- to-from Chicago.

Can you consider taking the Coast Starlight to connect from any of the West Coast hubs to another? and add PDX as an option.

I took the EB to Seattle last year and returned via air. Didn't use a car the entire vacation. A 30-minute light rail ride from the airport will take you directly to downtown. You can also take the Victoria Clipper ferry to San Juan Island. Plenty to see and do in Seattle!

One of my favorite cities is PDX ( Portland,Or.). If you were to fly there, you would have more options for your return on Amtrak Routes, (Empire Builder, Coast Starlight & California Zephyr, Coast Starlight & Texas Eagle or Coast Starlight & South West Chief)

Last edited by a moderator:
The best scenery is to go westbound from Chicago to San Francisco. Eastbound you could miss some of the Rocky Mtn scenery if the train is late.

So of course fly back.

Several times, I've flown to West Coast endpoints and taken LD trains back to Chicago the same day. For some reason, it just feels more relaxing to me coming home by train than by airplane.

My strategy is to book an early morning flight out of Chicago so that if there are any weather or equipment delays, I still have a good chance of reaching the West Coast with ample time to get to the train station for the trip home that same day. I've done this on the Empire Builder, Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle . . .

Empire Builder eastbound - leaves Seattle 4:40 p.m.

Quick taxi or easy public transportation from SEA-TAC to King Street Station

(I haven't done a similar trip from the Portland segment, but its 4:45 p.m. departure would be similar)

Southwest Chief eastbound - leaves Los Angeles 6:15 p.m.

Quick and easy Flyaway bus from Los Angeles International Airport to Los Angeles Union Station

Texas Eagle eastbound - leaves Los Angeles 10 p.m.

Quick and easy Flyaway bus from Los Angeles International Airport to Los Angeles Union Station

I have not done this with the California Zephyr . . .

California Zephyr eastbound - leaves Emeryville 9:10 a.m.

I've never been confident I could arrive early enough in San Francisco or Oakland to catch a taxi or public transportation to Emeryville. I'd also be worried about delays. I'd be more comfortable staying overnight in Emeryville to do this one-way trip.

I've been lucky and arrived early enough in Seattle or Los Angeles that I could check my bags and meet friends for lunch or take a quick tour of the city.

Hope this helps!

That is what I have done for all my train trips - flown one way. It is a great idea!

My 2 suggestions fo fly/train or train/fly would be either 1) take the CZ from CHI to EMY, then catch the CS to PDX or 2) fly to PDX and take the CS to LA and catch the TE to CHI. The northbound CS arrives in PDX about 3 pm, allowing plenty of time to get to the airport for a red eye flight. The southbound CS departs PDX after 2 pm, and the connection in LA is the same day. (As is the other one also.)

Note though that the TE only runs 3 days a week!

To or from the airport to Union Station in PDX is very easy. MAX runs right to the airport and the stop for Union Station is right next door (within a block).

Last edited by a moderator:
We have taken a couple of long distance train trips. We wiil have a couple with us, and she has never been a long train ride. I'm thinking I would like to the CZ again, only west bound this time.Are any major airports near any stops on the CZ toward the end of the Zephyr?

We have taken a couple of long distance train trips. We wiil have a couple with us, and she has never been a long train ride. I'm thinking I would like to the CZ again, only west bound this time.Are any major airports near any stops on the CZ toward the end of the Zephyr?
Yes. The CZ ends in Emeryville, which is close to either Oakland, CA or SFO (San Francisco).

If you didn't want to go all the way to EMY on the Zephyr, you could take it as far as Sacramento and take the YOLO bus out to the airport (SMF). I don't know if you can get a direct flight from Sacramento to Chicago.

I never flew out of SMF but I did take the YOLO bus out to rent a car.

If you have a few hours in Sacramento, you should go to the California Railroad Museum in Old Sacramento.

Only two nonstop flights Sacramento to Chicago, but you would have to overnight in Sacramento since the CZ arrives after both flights depart.

So another option would be to take the CZ all the way to Emeryville, ticket your Amtrak trip to the San Francisco Ferry Bldg (which is a bus connection from Emeryville over the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge), then take BART from Market Street and Embarcadero to the SFO airport and take an evening red-eye back to Chicago, if you didn't want to stay a few days in San Francisco to enjoy the sights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back