One more question SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njulian

Service Attendant
It's almost time for my trip to Chicago on the SWC then on to Milwaukee.

I actually lied..I have two more questions.

We have a roomette. On the top bunk how much head space is there? Can you turn over comfortably or is the roof right over you? (which sounds kinda icky if so)

Second: what is the food quality in the dining cars? I've been reading alot about the degradation of quality such as it's all microwave. So..what level of quality? Would if be like a TV dinner (Banquet, Swanson) or a chain restaurant (Applebees, Golden Corral?) Also, any suggestions to best picks for each meal?

Thanks

We spent almost a week om three Amtrak LD trains last month. For breakfast, the omelets were good, most of the time we had the continental breakfast though. That was almost more than we could eat. The french toast was also good. For lunch I usually had the angus beef burger, and my wife had the caesar chicken salad most of the time, which she said was good. For dinner, there is a catfish filet dinner,most diners that we talked to didn't care for it. Also the tortilenni was deceint.

In closing, I would say the meals were a cross between tv dinners and Applebee's. Hope you enjoy your trip!

If the food sucks, can you send it back for something else like a restaurant?

If the food sucks, can you send it back for something else like a restaurant?
Yes, you can, although a better idea is to ask the servers for their opinions - for example, with the above-mentioned catfish, ask if it's coming up "wet" (mushy) or "dry" (better texture). The attendants really tend to know their chefs, and will steer you the right way according to your tastes.

We have a roomette. On the top bunk how much head space is there? Can you turn over comfortably or is the roof right over you? (which sounds kinda icky if so)
Well you can't sit up in the upper bunk to read a book for example, it would be more like a deep slouch. But I have no trouble turning over when I'm sleeping in the upper bunk.

I have a rather good opinion of railroad food myself, though I have not had too much of the more recent. It seems ok. Far above a Swanson TV dinner. I have had meals through the years which were superb by any standard.

Keep in mind much of the fun of eating on the train is the novelty, seated with strangers(which works out well, most of the time) and riding in a moving restaurant,the scenery going by, that almost automatically stimulates the enjoyment of the food and the atmosphere.

Realize the limitations of a railroad dining car, they do not have the capacity for a huge number of seelctions in their small space. In fact, the inner workings of a dining car kitchen is one of the train's most interesting aspects, that they can accomplish as much as they do in such a narrow, steaming hot space.

I was on the SWC a little over a year ago about a month after they implemented the SDS system. We found the food to be fine. The only item I had any complaint about was the quiche which was a bit on the rubbery side. Otherwise, we had plenty of food on hand.

Have a great trip!

Dan

Second: what is the food quality in the dining cars? I've been reading alot about the degradation of quality such as it's all microwave. So..what level of quality? Would if be like a TV dinner (Banquet, Swanson) or a chain restaurant (Applebees, Golden Corral?) Also, any suggestions to best picks for each meal?
Even with the SDS program all of the items on the menu are quite good. Most are cooked in convection ovens to maintain the quality. A little word of advice...

AVOID (at all costs): Bob Evans Scramble at breakfast, the Chicken Fried Steak *"SPECIAL"* at dinner. Other than that you should enjoy.

I have a rather good opinion of railroad food myself, though I have not had too much of the more recent. It seems ok. Far above a Swanson TV dinner. I have had meals through the years which were superb by any standard.
Keep in mind much of the fun of eating on the train is the novelty, seated with strangers(which works out well, most of the time) and riding in a moving restaurant,the scenery going by, that almost automatically stimulates the enjoyment of the food and the atmosphere.

Realize the limitations of a railroad dining car, they do not have the capacity for a huge number of seelctions in their small space. In fact, the inner workings of a dining car kitchen is one of the train's most interesting aspects, that they can accomplish as much as they do in such a narrow, steaming hot space.
Oh yes, I understand and that's part of the great thing with having a sleeper..meals in the dining car! Really the food quality isn't that important, but I did read about alot of mircowaving and some gripimg at other sites, so wondered where the quality was. The only time I've eaten in a dining car before (usually suck it up and just eat in the snack bar) was on the SL and a friend and I shared a table with two very interesting Australian guys who were traveling all of America for their summer. It was fun and food was good too.

Thanks for all your input.

Even with the SDS program all of the items on the menu are quite good. Most are cooked in convection ovens to maintain the quality. A little word of advice...

AVOID (at all costs): Bob Evans Scramble at breakfast, the Chicken Fried Steak *"SPECIAL"* at dinner. Other than that you should enjoy.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that diner personal always pairs couples up to make a full table. On a recent trip we were on, we had 15 meals in the dining cars, only one gentleman wished not to talk,with all the rest we had an enjoyable conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back