One dead, others injured in Amtrak-semi collision near Galva, IL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GALVA --The driver of a tractor-trailer unit was killed about 10 a.m. this morning in a collision with an Amtrak train. The dead man was not immediately identified.

The collision occurred where Hayes Road crosses the track about one mile southwest of Galva, according to reports from the scene.

Reports at the scene indicate several passengers aboard the train were injured, though none of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening.

More details were not immediately available.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=amtrak&oq=amtrak&gs_l=news-cc.12..43j0l9j43i53.1794.1883.0.5090.5.2.0.0.0.0.1148.2154.7-2.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.wXFMKgw0uns

GALESBURG — The Carl Sandburg Amtrak train collided with a vehicle near Galva around 10 a.m. Thursday while traveling from Chicago to Quincy, leaving one person dead, according to GateHouse Media Illinois.

Amtrak Train 381, headed westbound from Chicago to Quincy, struck the cab of the semi minutes after stopping in Kewanee.

The accident occurred at an unmarked crossing from Hayes Road into a field, just east of the “dry bridge” over the tracks.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said none of the 46 passengers, or crew members, were injured, although a female passenger received medical attention “as a precaution.”

Amtrak sent a bus to transport passengers from the train to their destinations along the route from Galesburg to Quincy.

Because of damage to the Carl Sandburg locomotive, the train will be taken to Galesburg, where it will be reversed and head back to Chicago.
http://www.galesburg.com/news/20160414/carl-sandburg-amtrak-train-collides-with-vehicle-near-galva

Last edited by a moderator:
Another engine needs a nose job. They going to run out of engines at this rate.

As s former area resident who frequented it often I can only imagine the grief gripping this lovely town. I also prey for the Amtrak crew and passengers. I am saddened to know that the train always wins is not understood

Sounds like the truck was needing to cross to the other side.

I rode that train on a day excursion to Galesburg last month. I think there were two (or even three) busloads of passengers on board that day.

GALESBURG — The Carl Sandburg Amtrak train collided with a vehicle near Galva around 10 a.m. Thursday while traveling from Chicago to Quincy, leaving one person dead, according to GateHouse Media Illinois.

[snip]

Because of damage to the Carl Sandburg locomotive, the train will be taken to Galesburg, where it will be reversed and head back to Chicago.
The CZ dropped off a locomotive in Galesburg and went to Chicago with only one. The locomotive dropped will take today's 382 to Chicago. A BNSF engine pulled the damaged locomotive and consist to Galesburg at less that 30 mph.

(Info from T.O.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Were all used to bells, lights, whistles. None of that was at this crossing. This guy Driving a heavy slow truck made a bad misjudgment and didn't clear the track and it caused him his life along with threatening many others. It's very sad.

Were all used to bells, lights, whistles. None of that was at this crossing. This guy Driving a heavy slow truck made a bad misjudgment and didn't clear the track and it caused him his life along with threatening many others. It's very sad.
If the driver was familiar with the crossing and only saw slow freight trains on occasion on that track, that can lead to developing bad habits of driving through the crossing without coming to a full stop and looking. Or driving around lowered crossing arms because they think can beat the slow long freight train. The passenger train comes through at 70 or 79 mph and splat. Easier to to put longer crossing arms, or quad gates, or gates & lights at cross buck crossings or grade separate the crossing than to change the habits of the American driver.

For the record, it was a 65 year old man who was killed in the incident: Kewanee man ID'd in Amtrak fatality. The 3rd photo in the article set shows the front end of the damaged P-42.

If the driver was familiar with the crossing and only saw slow freight trains on occasion on that track, that can lead to developing bad habits of driving through the crossing without coming to a full stop and looking. Or driving around lowered crossing arms because they think can beat the slow long freight train.
If he was *familiar* with the crossing, he'd have seen at least one of the 8 Amtrak trains spaced through the day, and plenty of NOT-slow container/intermodal trains. Unless someone lives in Wyoming coal country where nearly all they see is coal unit trains, there's a word for someone who presumes all trains are slow freights: fool.

Another engine needs a nose job. They going to run out of engines at this rate.
I'm willing to bet this engine is tied up for quite some time. The lawyers will like want a hold on it since it was involved in a fatality.

Those nose pieces are not that ahrd to manufacture in house given the right gauge sheet metal and the appropriate bending tools. I suspect Beech Grove can cook up one in short order, unless for some reason they have it done by some supplier.

Those nose pieces are not that ahrd to manufacture in house given the right gauge sheet metal and the appropriate bending tools. I suspect Beech Grove can cook up one in short order, unless for some reason they have it done by some supplier.
I thought they were fiberglass. Just a hunch, could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back