Oh (Toledo) Ohio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi everyone:

Contemplating taking the LSL on Friday from BOS to Toledo. I think the train gets in Toledo around 6 a.m.ish, and I am going to the airport to rent a car so I can drive to Cincinnati.

So I have a few questions, if anyone has ever done this:

1. How difficult is it to get a taxi at the Amtrak station that time of day? Should I try to order one or a service ahead of time?

What might the fare be?

2. Avis opens first at the airport so I am going with them. Are the car rental places right at the airport?

3. I am taking the LSL on Monday morning back to Boston. On my return on Sunday night, I will need to return the car and then get a hotel room?? Would it be better to get a hotel near the station (and if so, can anyone recommend one?) or should I stay out by the airport and take a cab in the morning? I know the train leaves uber early I think like 3 am something..

Thanks!

-- Jackie, who is looking forward to getting on the train, going into her sleeper and closing the door and watching the world go by outside the window....

The taxis are not very reliable in Toledo. I called for taxis upon arrival and wait up to an hour for service. Price quotes were not in line with actual cost. Found taxi drivers quickly upon destination arrival turn off meters and quoted different price than shown on meter. However, the people that work in the Toledo station at terrific! Very nice and very helpful. I have no idea what the cost would be from train station to Toledo airport. There are not any hotels near the train station, i.e., walking distance. The area around the train station is not very good. Lot's of luck, hope your trip goes well.

Jackie - is there any way you could go to South Bend? The Amtrak station and South Bend airport are much closer to each other than in Toledo. The Toledo airport is way, way west of downtown Toledo. Also, the schedule into South Bend is at a more reasonable time.

Hi -- thanks for the great idea, but unfortunately, I have to be in Dayton early so getting off in Toledo will help me get off the train, go the airport for a car, and be on the road by 9 a.m. (That is the plan anyway!)

I will definitely keep South Bend in mind, though. Taking the LSL this summer and will need to make the exact same trip.

Jackie - is there any way you could go to South Bend? The Amtrak station and South Bend airport are much closer to each other than in Toledo. The Toledo airport is way, way west of downtown Toledo. Also, the schedule into South Bend is at a more reasonable time.

Jackie,

While not quite as direct, have you considered taking the Capitol Limited for your return trip? It leaves Toledo at 11:00 PM, which would negate the need to rent a hotel room that night and solve the problem of finding a cab to get back to the train station. Just return the car to the airport shortly after having dinner, take a cab to the train station and hang out for a few hours until the train arrives.

Yes, you'll need to make a transfer in DC to a Regional to get back to Boston, but you solve so many other problems by doing this. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out that the train costs less too by going that way.

I have not flown out of Toledo for around a year. At that time the car rental booths were on the east side of the airport terminal between the TSA security point and the baggage carousel.

After you are done at the car rental counter go out the baggage claims door look to your right and you will see the rental car parking lot. It is a very short walk.

Toledo is a small airport and everything is conveniently located with no long walks involved.

A few comments:

First of all, if you're planning on taking tomorrow's LSL, it is currently sold out - so I hope you already have tickets! You could as an alternative take a Regional to connect to the Capitol Limited in WAS to go to TOL, though it would have to be a pretty early Regional (or Acela). Alternatively, you could take the Cardinal to Cincinnati directly, though to connect on time from BOS I think you'd have to leave tonight on #67 to WAS (I'd suggest business class on #67 if you were to do that).

As for the return, I'd echo the suggestion of taking the Capitol Limited + Regional instead of the LSL - the boarding time is far more pleasant in TOL that way, and you only get to BOS 2 hrs later or so (and that is if the LSL is on time, which it very frequently is not). You don't really need a hotel that night - the station is open overnight (as that is when all the trains arrive/depart) so you can just wait there until it arrives and then go to sleep once you get on the train.

Have you considered using Enterprise? According to my smartphone mapping feature, they have an office 1.4 miles and 27 minutes by foot from the Toledo Amtrak station. Based on what I can determine, it opens at 8:00am weekdays and 9:00am on Saturday. I would confirm those hours using a phone call to the facility. This still may not meet your needs, but it seems like an option to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back