Oceanside OSD to Richmond RVR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdj

Train Attendant
I am planning an AGR three zone trip this fall Oceanside back to Richmond. When looking at the various days of the week I can get a number of routes including an overnight in New Orleans (Sunset Ltd to Crescent) However, when I look at Zephyr options, it only allows me to take the overnight bus from Santa Barbara to EMY. Can I take the CS to EMY and the next morning leave on the Zephyr and still have it count as one continuous 3 zone trip?

Thanks,

Gary

I am planning an AGR three zone trip this fall Oceanside back to Richmond. When looking at the various days of the week I can get a number of routes including an overnight in New Orleans (Sunset Ltd to Crescent) However, when I look at Zephyr options, it only allows me to take the overnight bus from Santa Barbara to EMY. Can I take the CS to EMY and the next morning leave on the Zephyr and still have it count as one continuous 3 zone trip?
Thanks,

Gary
Nope! You have to book a seperate award if you do this! How about paying from SoCal to EMY (or use a special 1,000/1,500 point award)if you want to ride the CS,then a 3 zone EMY-Richmond award on the CZ and the Cardinal or CL?? (The Card involves a bus ride and is only three days a week of course but great scenery!!) :)

Nope! You have to book a seperate award if you do this! How about paying from SoCal to EMY (or use a special 1,000/1,500 point award)if you want to ride the CS,then a 3 zone EMY-Richmond award on the CZ and the Cardinal or CL?? (The Card involves a bus ride and is only three days a week of course but great scenery!!) :)
Thanks. That's what I suspected. This will be my wife's first long distance trip so I wanted it to be a good trip for her. Hopefully, this will encourage her to want to travel by train again. She already told me she wanted to do the CL which is fine by me. I may be dating myself here but the last time I rode the CL it was operated by the B&O.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
The "Special Routes" DOES NOT include the CS. You would have to take a Surfliner to LAX, a Thruway to BFD, an SJ and IIRC a CC! (Besides, the CS and CZ do not stop at RIC!)

Back