NYP to an airport-any airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
Plans have changed, was taking the train from JAX-PHL-ALT, but I need to cancel my meeting in Pennsylvania, and get home- thinking I might cancel that second portion of my trip, and change my reservation to JAX-NYP just to do it. How hard is it to get to an airport from Penn? I arrive around 11 AM, and can fly out of Newark around 4 PM to head home, but never having been to New York, not sure A. if Newark is even the best option, and B. assuming the train is late, how close can I cut it and still get to Newark (or whatever airport you recommend) by 3?

You can get to JFK fairly easily. Take the LIRR express to Jamaica, and then go upstairs to connect to the AirTrain, which runs around all the terminals at JFK.

Newark is another easy option. Once you get to NYP, purchase an NJ Transit ticket to Newark Airport. The cost is $12.50. There are three or four trains an hour from NYP to EWR. The running time is about 25 minutes. Once you exit at the airport station, your NJ Transit ticket will swipe for access to the monorail to the airport terminals.

If you are running late and time is getting tight, you could get off your train from JAX at Newark and grab a cab there for EWR.

Perfect thanks, I think I'll take the EWR connection didn't even think about getting off at Newark....Always an option, but would like to see NYP, don't go East much.

Perfect thanks, I think I'll take the EWR connection didn't even think about getting off at Newark....Always an option, but would like to see NYP, don't go East much.
NYP isn't that special. It's the cellar of Madison Square Garden. A better than average cellar, but even so, Newark Penn Station might be more interesting, at least that one's still the original building.

Maybe so, but it's still an awesome place for someone that hasn't seen it or doesn't see it that often. Sure if you use it every day the novelty will wear off, but I remember my first ascent up the escalator into Penn Station. Not a warm welcome of course, but still pretty awesome.

Maybe so, but it's still an awesome place for someone that hasn't seen it or doesn't see it that often. Sure if you use it every day the novelty will wear off, but I remember my first ascent up the escalator into Penn Station. Not a warm welcome of course, but still pretty awesome.
It's pretty cool as a piece of infrastructure, but I've always seen it as a lot of people in a space that's too small. I mean, I guess that's also what makes it awesome, how busy it is, but maybe I just don't like people.

And if you find you have some extra time in NYC, do take a run over to Grand Central Terminal to see a truly awesome station.

Take a 1960s era airport and bury it and you've got NYP. A friend of mine thought it looked like an underground LAX and it kinda does.

I have a related question. This spring I will be going from NYP to JFK. I know to take the Airtrain and will take LIRR to Jamaica because it is faster and somewhat more luggage friendly than the subway. I read something about buying a ticket from a "green" LIRR ticket kiosk at NYP to get both the LIRR ticket to Jamaica and the Airtrain ticket. I know that Airtrain is $5 and takes a Metrocard. It isn't that big of a deal, but do I have to pay the $1 to get a new Metrocard, or can I just make sure I still have $5 left on the Metrocard I will already have and use that?

And if you find you have some extra time in NYC, do take a run over to Grand Central Terminal to see a truly awesome station.
Yes, GCT is absolutely magnificent.

Any one want to start the old "what if" debate that if one had to die to save the other, would it better to have been GCT that died for Penn instead of the other way around? I have no opinion, having no real sense of what Penn was like even having seen a lot of pictures.

And I always wonder why the Concourse of CUS isn't mourned. It seems barely known. CUS is another cramped underground rabbit warren because they demolished the Concourse (which in pictures has a resemblence to Penn) for a really ugly office building. Yes, the Headhouse is still intact, but it is not really an integral part of the station any more, except if you count it as an overflow waiting room/line up area for when things get really busy.

Take a 1960s era airport and bury it and you've got NYP. A friend of mine thought it looked like an underground LAX and it kinda does.

I have a related question. This spring I will be going from NYP to JFK. I know to take the Airtrain and will take LIRR to Jamaica because it is faster and somewhat more luggage friendly than the subway. I read something about buying a ticket from a "green" LIRR ticket kiosk at NYP to get both the LIRR ticket to Jamaica and the Airtrain ticket. I know that Airtrain is $5 and takes a Metrocard. It isn't that big of a deal, but do I have to pay the $1 to get a new Metrocard, or can I just make sure I still have $5 left on the Metrocard I will already have and use that?
As long as you have $5 on a metrocard to use at Jamaica you shouldn't have any issue getting access to the AirTrain. In that case just buy a one way ticket to Jamaica. The ticket from the "green machine" just has a metocard stripe on the back of it to swipe in the turnstile so even if you did it that way you shouldn't have to pay an exta $1 for a new metrocard.

NYC Airporter has a shuttle every 30 minutes from Penn Station to LGA and JFK. EWR is reachable via NJT or Amtrak.

We will need to get from Manhattan to LaGuardia next month. Any ideas as to how to do that? We arrive on the LSL, but will fly back to Dallas.

Thanks!

For Manhattan to LGA I'd probably do the NYC Airporter. The only ways via public transit I can think of involve taking the subway to a bus to the airport which wouldn't be pleasant with luggage.

We will need to get from Manhattan to LaGuardia next month. Any ideas as to how to do that? We arrive on the LSL, but will fly back to Dallas.

Thanks!
Take LIRR one stop to Woodside, walk downstairs and get on the Q70 Limited bus. The bus makes one stop between Woodside and LaGuardia and stops at all the terminals except the Marine Air Terminal.

Agreed that Penn Station isn't much to see, but if you have the time, pop up aboveground for a bit and you'll be near many of the sights of New York, and about 300 hot dog stands and pizza places.

NYP is a not an attractive place unlike the magnificent 30st station in Philly. Take a short but interesting SEPTA ride from there direct to airport concourse. Southwest may have a direct JAX flight.

NYP is a not an attractive place unlike the magnificent 30st station in Philly. Take a short but interesting SEPTA ride from there direct to airport concourse. Southwest may have a direct JAX flight.
But there is nothing like Herald Square or Times Square a few block from Philly 30th St. :p Whatever rocks ones boat I suppose.

My first experience with Penn Station was in the 70s, after the Garden had been built, but in the 70s it still seemed to retain some of the charm of a railroad station... at least in my 5-7 year old mind. The ceilings seemed higher and it seemed to have some semblance of being a railroad station. By the 90s... when I showed up, after years of riding the LSL into GCT... wow it did look like a late 70s airport! I'm not sure it was all that different... or I just grew up... but it was disappointing. If you do go into Penn though, do venture up and out and get yourself a dog or a pretzel from one the carts. That was one New York Penn tradition my mother and I had the numerous times we'd ride from Chicago to NYC on the Broadway.

If you want to see a great Eastern train station, I second the Philly idea. 30th Street Station is just beautiful.

As for Chicago's Union Station -- I don't know if I'd say rail fans or architecture buffs don't mourn the loss of the concourse. Especially those in the Chicago area.

What's amazing to me, I remember when they did the remodel, what 25 years ago now? (Someone else I'm sure can pin point it, I'm thinking early 90s? Might be off. It's amazing to me that it was THAT LONG AGO! Wow!) The attempt (at least according to Passenger Train Journal) was to clean up the concourse's narrow passageways that were there and make it easier for everyone to navigate. Either they failed at that, or they underestimated how many people the station would serve in the future. 'Cause at the end of rush hour when Amtrak has all their midwestern regional trains going out... wow, it's every bit as crowded and congested as ever. Amtrak's waiting room is dismal as well. Reminds me of a bus station. That said, I really like the remodeling they did by the gates to the tracks. They did a nice job of doing an art deco kind of theme that classed that part of the station up a little bit. Certainly better than what was there before that.

As for the head house at CUS... it is underutilized and frankly it's under utilization takes a little bit of the awe out of seeing it. I mean there's something about getting off a train at 30th Street or Grand Central and then walking into their waiting rooms. In Chicago... you can avoid that altogether. And sometimes you can't even have that experience if you want to. They've either buttoned up that part of the station for the night. They're holding an event there. Whatever.

I agree about GCT vs NYP. Growing up in upstate NY, before the West Side Connection was built in the early 1990's, all Amtrak trains from NYS only went (and could go) to GCT. It was a big disappointment to get off at GCT and transfer to NYP! :(

Thanks!
Take LIRR one stop to Woodside, walk downstairs and get on the Q70 Limited bus. The bus makes one stop between Woodside and LaGuardia and stops at all the terminals except the Marine Air Terminal.
Never knew that trick. Otherwise, you have to take the 7 subway on a longish ride to Queens and transfer to a local bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back