NYP to an airport-any airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can get the same Q70 from Roosevelt Avenue - Jackson Heights station reachable by 7 or E,F too.

you can also take A to 125 St. Manhattan and take the M60 SBS from there to LGA.

Both of these choices are much cheaper than LIRR if such matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can get the same Q70 from Roosevelt Avenue - Jackson Heights station reachable by 7 or E,F too.

you can also take A to 125 St. Manhattan and take the M60 SBS from there to LGA.

Then in that vein the same 7 train could be taken to 61st St Woodside for connection to the Q70. :)

And if the train is more than four hours late, what is your plan "B"? Something to realistically plan for...
No worries. I travel so much, I don't get too hung up. I can either jump off in Philadelphia, and get flight from there, or overnight in NYC, get a piece of pizza, and fly home the next morning. I don't ever take Amtrak any time I HAVE to be somewhere. I do need to get home, but next day is still fine.

Then in that vein the same 7 train could be taken to 61st St Woodside for connection to the Q70. :)
Right, but getting to 7 from Penn Station requires an additional change at Times Square. Both A and E will take you to a bus to LGA from Penn Station without requiring a change. :)

Right, but getting to 7 from Penn Station requires an additional change at Times Square. Both A and E will take you to a bus to LGA from Penn Station without requiring a change. :)
Thanks to all....but I dont have a clue what A, E, Q70 or these others are. Never been in NYC. Are they subways, busses, what? and where/how would I find them?

Thanks to all....but I dont have a clue what A, E, Q70 or these others are. Never been in NYC. Are they subways, busses, what? and where/how would I find them?
I've been tempted to post in this thread that it's "all greek to me". I have no idea either.

All of the above. The single letters/numbers are subway trains. The combined are probably buses, but I've never taken one.

There are multiple ways to get to JFK Airport, although the E is the most convenient way from Penn Station - at the 34th St/Penn Station stop. You would need a fare card with the value of the subway ride plus the AirTrain fee ($5 now I think). The A Train (maybe you've heard of the song) takes a different route to a different AirTrain station.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm#kennedy

Laguardia is different in that the final leg is a bus. Apparently the Q70 is the preferred bus that stops outside at the Jackson Heights subway station. I think it's preferred because there's a free transfer to the bus if the same fare card is used during the subway ride.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/airport.htm

I found it convenient and cheap to take the subway to the airport. If you have any questions, New Yorkers can be more helpful than their reputation. Additionally, some of your fellow riders may not be New Yorkers but know the system. It does take more time though. On our ride to Manhattan, we took LIRR on the advice of a fellow plane passenger. She said it would be faster than the subway since we were in a hurry to meet someone.

LIRR to Jamaica Air Train to JFK is the fastest and particularly during rush hour has the most frequent service as well.You could also take the A from Penn Station to Howard Beach/JFK but that would take way too long.

If you're looking for the cheapest way to JFK from Penn, the subway is the way to go. The fare is $2.50 (plus AirTrain).

LIRR from Penn to Jamaica is $7.00 during off-peak, or $9.50 during peak (any train leaving Penn from 4pm to 8pm, or any train arriving into Penn from 6am to 10am). You'll also still need the AirTrain fare. Onboard off peak is $13.00, Onboard peak is $16.00.

On the weekends (through 4am Monday), a CityTicket is available for $4.00 on the LIRR, which is valid for travel between Penn and Jamaica.

The letters are all subway trains (A, E, etc) the letter and number combined are bus routes (Q70, M60, etc). If you are feeling skittish or unsure about using busses and subways the best alternative would be to take a taxi. However, this is also relatively expensive.

If you're looking for the cheapest way to JFK from Penn, the subway is the way to go. The fare is $2.50 (plus AirTrain).

LIRR from Penn to Jamaica is $7.00 during off-peak, or $9.50 during peak (any train leaving Penn from 4pm to 8pm, or any train arriving into Penn from 6am to 10am). You'll also still need the AirTrain fare. Onboard off peak is $13.00, Onboard peak is $16.00.

On the weekends (through 4am Monday), a CityTicket is available for $4.00 on the LIRR, which is valid for travel between Penn and Jamaica.
I couldn't quite figure out what to do when we got there, but LIRR has employees there to help with the machines. It's a bit daunting if you've never used one before, and I think they want the lines to move during busy periods. This is a bit ironic since I'm thinking it might cost about the same to have these employees operating a ticket booth.

This has been one of those Really Useful Threads for me. So many options (compared to the frozen North and West)( or even compared to the NY trip-planner app)

I'm saving most of this thread to my mobi for the next time im in NYC (along with the Haneda - Tokyo Shinkansen - Narita thread)

Thank all you who share your NYNY expertise!

This was years ago when I was kid... but once we took a good part of the day to kick around NYC to see the sights before hoping the Lake Shore Limited back to Chicago. And one of my favorite parts of the day was taking the bus from Battery Park back to Grand Central. It was a very neat and different way to see a little bit of New York City. Now, I don't know what you'd see taking a bus to one of the airports, or how long a ride it would be. But mid afternoon on a bus was one of my favorite NYC experiences. So was riding the Subway to Shea to see a Mets game. But that's a story for another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back