NYC Subway car seating?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked in New York for about 4 months in 1995 and 1996, have not been back since. Touristed there once in the mid 1970's. I won't say that if my company transferred me to New York that I would quit my job, but it is not far from that. If you like the place that's fine with me, I certainly will not fight you for a share of the place.
I actually have more complaints about the people i find riding NJtransit trains than NYC subway. Most people i've interacted with in the subway system from MTA employees to the lost tourist have been, if not outwardly friendly, genuinely receptive and polite. I don't know where in NYC you were located for work and housing, but i've never run into 2 rude people in a row.

- Andy

adam_aussie,
Also, not to discourage you from doing some sightseeing from trains, but a lot of windows are hard to see through for another reason: scratched or acid-etched graffiti. Especially the latter, which makes the windows nearly opaque. The problem has gotten so bad that on my last visit to NY I was having trouble reading station names through some windows.
By the way, I just got back from New York City, and was pleasantly surprised by the state of the windows on most trains. 90% of them now look pristine, whereas just 6 months ago 90% of them were scratched / acid etched to death. Looks like MTA recently replaced windows on most trains. Enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Back