NY Penn Red Cap service question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortpants

Train Attendant
I searched old threads for an answer to my Red Cap at NYP logistics and tipping question, but didn't find the specific details I was looking for, so here goes...

We (2 adults, 2 kids, 5yo/2yo) are leaving tomorrow on our first LD train trip to FL. We will be taking the Empire Service #280 from ALB to NYP, 2 hr layover if everything is on time, then Silver Meteor to FL. I am VERY nervous about getting around Penn Station with 2 little ones and getting us from the first train to the Club Acela (we have a sleeper on the Meteor). I do know Red Caps are available for us to use, but will they be around the platform where we arrive on the Empire in NYP to help us to CA, or should we request one with someone? I know we can request one once we get to the CA at Penn, but it's getting to the CA that worries me most, how bad is it really?

Now the tipping question... If we do use a Red Cap from the Empire to the CA at NYP, wait a couple hours (again, if everything is on time), then from the CA to board the Meteor, do you tip for each leg, or just once when you board the outgoing train? For instance: Arrive at NYP, get Red Cap to CA - Tip - Wait for 1-2 hours - use Red Cap to board Meteor - Tip again? Or does the same Red Cap that gets you off the first train see you through to the end? Help! LOL!

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Before the Empire Service train arrives in NYP, ask the Conductor for a Red Cap upon arrival. He/she can call ahead to request one. You should tip for each Red Cap. It is very possible that the one that brings you to the CA will not be the same one to take you from the CA.

If this is the first time you will be in the Club Acela Lounge, they have snacks available, from coffee, hot tea, to soda fountain and juices. They usually have sweet snacks too and potato chips. It depends on if the lounge attendant has time to replenish items on the counter.

I know they can call boarding for the Star as early as 1/2 hour.

Bruce-SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back