NY Acela Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77E9

Train Attendant
Hello All! I made Select Status with AGR this past year, and got the usual coupons for one class upgrade and acela lounge access. I am taking Empire Service to Albany on Sunday, and I would like to use my acela lounge access coupon for access to the lounge at NY. What I would like to know is this: Does the Acela Lounge announce and board people from the lounge first before the general public for any train? Any info and tips is appreciated.

Thanks!

What I would like to know is this: Does the Acela Lounge announce and board people from the lounge first before the general public for any train?
No.

The NYP lounge does not have direct access to the platforms. You have to exit the lounge, and get in line with everyone else.

As noted, there is no direct access to the tracks from the lounge. Most times, although not always, they announce in the lounge early enough that if you don't dilly dally, you can be at the head of the line at the gate however.

Empire service trains by the way will almost always leave from tracks 5, 6, or 7.

Let me ask you this? Would you be willing to pay $5.00 to pre-board? Get ahead of the line? I would. So ask for a Red Cap, and tip them a $5.00, unless you have a lot of luggage, then tip MORE!

BEST MONEY ever spent on travel. Do it in NYC every time, L.A., and especially in Montreal. Haven't seen a need to do it in D.C. or Chicago, but if you find out (no matter what city) that they WON'T be pre-boarding from the "club/lounge" you are in, just ask for a Red Cap!

I concur!
cool.gif

Even if you do not use a Red Cap, but somebody else in the CA is using one, just follow them!
wink.gif
In fact, you'll probably get down to the platform before the train (if it is a thru train) arrives at NYP!
biggrin.gif

Last time I was on acela and waiting in Club Acela, I noticed a red cap come to get some luggage for a family on my train. He had a big cart and was pushing luggage, so I asked if he was going to my train and he said yes. I gave him my bag, he threw it on the cart as well, and I followed him and the family down to the platform. We arrived just as the train was pulling into the station :) I of course tipped the red cap, but it was so nice to avoid the mob.

Let me ask you this? Would you be willing to pay $5.00 to pre-board? Get ahead of the line? I would. So ask for a Red Cap, and tip them a $5.00, unless you have a lot of luggage, then tip MORE!

BEST MONEY ever spent on travel. Do it in NYC every time, L.A., and especially in Montreal. Haven't seen a need to do it in D.C. or Chicago, but if you find out (no matter what city) that they WON'T be pre-boarding from the "club/lounge" you are in, just ask for a Red Cap!
No need ever to have to do this in LA. While Amtrak likes people to line up, the tunnels to the platforms are always open to anyone because they are also pedestrian underpasses to the east side of the station, as well for access to Metrolink and the Light Rail Gold Line platforms. You find out which platform your train is boarding from, and then just go.

I agree. Having used NYP for years by myself, standing under the board and rushing to the line-- last week I was with my mom and got my first Redcap to board a regional to WAS. Best five bucks I ever spent. We were the first on the train, and were all settled before the general boarding began.

No need ever to have to do this in LA. While Amtrak likes people to line up, the tunnels to the platforms are always open to anyone because they are also pedestrian underpasses to the east side of the station, as well for access to Metrolink and the Light Rail Gold Line platforms. You find out which platform your train is boarding from, and then just go.
True, true. However, while booked on the Starlate this summer, I choose the Red Cap option. And they not only took us down early, they drove us trainside

, you just wave as you speed by!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always simply gone to the head of the line and shown my ticket or simply said "I'm in a sleeper" and they have let me go down ahead of everyone else. I know others have done this because I've seen it with my own eyes.

Another "trick" if not using the CA is to wait in the general waiting area. Keep an eye on the ARRIVAL screen (if it is a thru train)!
wink.gif
As soon as it shows "train #90" or "train # 175" will arrive at "track 12" or "track 9" or whatever, I head for the west gate for that track! I'm usually standing there waiting while everyone else is looking at the big board!
laugh.gif

Most every time a train arrives and departs on the same track!
mosking.gif

And no Jerry, I never gift AGR points, BUT if someone wants to get some off their hands, I be glad to be the caretaker of them!
b0230.gif

Just this Sunday they announced my train about five minutes before general boarding, especially useful since it was a curveball (14/East due to another train boarding 13/West). It is also possible to go down the escalator in the middle below the big Solari board to the LIRR/NJT level for the short staircase to track level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back