NTD in DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan,

AFAIK

All the checks were Ok at the end. I know there was some confusion on the one at our end but, the servers seemed quite happy at the end and I believe one of the checks ended up with significantly more then the check amount.

I had a MILESTONE, a FANTASTIC Train Day with all of you who were there! It's true what they say about sharing with someone, it would've been just been ok if i were alone, but having a sort of FAMILY to be with, bouncing ideas and reactions back and forth, are TIMELESS. Some of the emotional faces I saw as we walked past the various equipment displays, including my own maniacal-can't-shut-up-how-great it was to be in an Auto Train Superliner lounge, was a victory over the sadness that had been haunting me throughout the week, mainly the result of recent news headlines. This victory is tremendous, meeting and laughing with all of you at historic Union Station. Alan: you could not have picked a better plan. Despite the confusion, as previous post said, the time went quick. And it's a good sign of the public's interest and advocacy of Amtrak. And i'm very glad of your work to negotiate with the Brewery restaurant to hold our table; i cou'ld not have found a better group of people to break bread with, to share a toast. I ask humbly of anyone who gets the brainstorm to concoct a meeting during future rail events to submit the idea to the AU website, and all those who can make it can attend. Life is too short of precious moments.

Some of the emotional faces I saw as we walked past the various equipment displays, including my own maniacal-can't-shut-up-how-great it was to be in an Auto Train Superliner lounge
I don't recall if you were in the group near me as we walked that car, so just in case: That car wasn't built as an Auto Train lounge car. It started life as a Superliner Dining car. It was then rebuilt into a lounge car by the fine mechanical staff in Sanford that maintains the Auto Train equipment.

The car yesterday as we saw it was technically backwards, with the curved booths next to the dining car. In the AT's normal consist, the table end would be next to the dining car and on a full train those tables would be used to serve dinner and breakfast, with the crew members carrying the food in from the dining car. There are only 5 such cars in existance and all are used exclusively on the AT. They also have one special Sightseer lounge that can also pinch hit should too many of the regular lounges be out of service for one reason or another; slight chance there are two.

As for getting together again, the next big planned event is the Gathering in Seattle this fall. If you can't make it to that, odds are good we'll do something for next year's NTD. And next year's Gathering will be on the east coast, maybe Philly, maybe DC. Still too far away to decide that one.

Some of the emotional faces I saw as we walked past the various equipment displays, including my own maniacal-can't-shut-up-how-great it was to be in an Auto Train Superliner lounge
I don't recall if you were in the group near me as we walked that car, so just in case: That car wasn't built as an Auto Train lounge car. It started life as a Superliner Dining car. It was then rebuilt into a lounge car by the fine mechanical staff in Sanford that maintains the Auto Train equipment. When did that rebuild happen???

The car yesterday as we saw it was technically backwards, with the curved booths next to the dining car. In the AT's normal consist, the table end would be next to the dining car and on a full train those tables would be used to serve dinner and breakfast, with the crew members carrying the food in from the dining car. There are only 5 such cars in existance and all are used exclusively on the AT. They also have one special Sightseer lounge that can also pinch hit should too many of the regular lounges be out of service for one reason or another; slight chance there are two. So the tables are overflow seating and they just basically take food in between cars? Correct?

As for getting together again, the next big planned event is the Gathering in Seattle this fall. If you can't make it to that, odds are good we'll do something for next year's NTD. And next year's Gathering will be on the east coast, maybe Philly, maybe DC. Still too far away to decide that one. Alan if you pick Philly it's one of if not the only I'll be able to make plus I'll be able to give some insight if you need any on hotels and eatery's. Plus Septa rides and what not. It would be good to be attend a gathering!

I'm not sure when they were converted, but it was more than 10 years ago and I suspect that it may have been done before the Superliner II's arrived.

And yes, some crews fill up the diner first for each seating and then the lounge, other crews start filling the diner from the 3 sleepers on that side and the lounge from the 3 sleepers on that side and they eventually meet in the middle in the diner. They have as you may have noticed, an area in the lounge car to handle all the drinks for those eating in the table section of the lounge. However, all the food is still cooked & preped in the dining car, sent up on the dumb waiter, and then carried across the threshold into the lounge. The crews will typically lock the doors open, which can make things a bit noisy if you end up at the tables closest to the door. The same is true in the dining car, the 2 tables closest to the door can be noisy.

Although 29 departed nearly an hour late, we arrived a few minutes early, a first for me and #29!
Did they board you on time and just leave late? Or were you still in the lounge as we ran through?
I looked up and saw Grace hustling out the gate towards your Acela. Missed you, Alan. I waited a bit longer, then boarding began.

Thanks again!

Mike

Although 29 departed nearly an hour late, we arrived a few minutes early, a first for me and #29!
Did they board you on time and just leave late? Or were you still in the lounge as we ran through?
I looked up and saw Grace hustling out the gate towards your Acela. Missed you, Alan. I waited a bit longer, then boarding began.

Thanks again!

Mike

I heard an announcement that boarding for #29 was delayed due to late arrival of equipment.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/jacorbett70/status_0507.jpg

I am in WAS union Station right now (10am 5/8). Where is everyone?? Did I make a wrong turn somewhere or look at the wrong calendar? :lol:

The Silver Meteor arrived in WAS over a half hour early. I was able to eat breakfast - barely. I hung out with the_traveler and jimhudson for a while and saw them off on their points runs on the NE regional. I am waiting to board my first Acela trip. :)

I am sorry I missed the fun on Saturday and will plan better for next year.

Happy Mothers day to all who celebrate it.
I was there briefly after spending the night in WAS and before boarding a NEC regional.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/jacorbett70/status_0508.jpg

Alan: Bravo on a great job. Though the lines were long the wait seemed short with pleasant conversation with kindred spirits. Lunch was fun. My rides up and back were uneventful but fun. I enjoyed meeting everyone, always nice to put a face with a name.
Agreed, well planned in spite of the delays. And it looks like everyone made their trains. This coming from someone who had a 16-hour cushion before my train to NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back