NTD in DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Since we're now just 3 weeks away from NTD, I guess that it's time for this.

First, I'd like very much to get together an accurate list of who is going to be there. As you saw, I failed miserably when I rattled off a bunch of names earlier, missing several people. While I don't expect to take attendance and won't necessarily delay things to look for someone, I'd still like to know just who we should be looking for so as to try to ensure that we all do get together.

So to that end, I'd like for each person attending to just send me an email to let me know that they will be in DC for at least some portion of the day and looking for the group. Please let me know how you’re arriving, Amtrak & train #, Metro, other, etc and approximately what time if you’re not on an Amtrak train. If you don't have tickets for the 12PM tour or are coming in later than that, please include that info in your email, otherwise I’ll assume that you’re ticketed for the 12 PM tour.

Please also let me know if you plan to join us for the group lunch. I’m thinking to make the reservation for 1:30 PM, so as to give us enough time to get through all the train car exhibits. I’m going to give everyone a week before trying to make a reservation, so you’ve got until Monday April 25th to let me know if you’re joining us for lunch. After that, I’ll try to add anyone, but I cannot promise that we can add you.

I’ll acknowledge your email by sending you my cell phone number, such that you can call/text me to let me know if your train is running late or if you’re having trouble finding the group. At your option, if you also include your cell phone number I’ll be able to send you a text message should plans change, like finding that the planned meeting point isn’t going to work. I’ll be heading down to DC on Friday, so I should be there early on Saturday morning before the first Acela arrives.

For those that tweet, I’ve decided to join the modern era and setup an account. Don’t expect much from me, except maybe during Gatherings and get together’s like NTD, as I’m not overly interested in the idea. But if you do tweet, that will save me having to send out separate text messages to everyone should plans change. So if you wish to follow me you can either find my by my user name of “ahblid” or by email addy of Alanb at this website’s address. Please let me know if you’re going to follow me, such that I don’t need to text you directly should any plans change.

Finally, to the meeting place. While it is possible that a few of us may come and wait by the arrival gate for the 2 major trains coming in, the bulk of the group will meet in the hall by the Amtrak Customer Service office. I think that this is a safe place, since we'll be clear of the lines for the exhibits and not in an area where they generally setup booths to sell things and/or provide information.

If you're arriving by Amtrak, after exiting through the doors the waiting area for Gate G is on your right. Turn right and walk down the long hall in front of the various waiting areas. You'll pass one hall on your left, the baggage claim area, the Club Acela and the info booth. At the second hall, about opposite gate B, turn left. The Amtrak CS office is on the left side. We may stand on that side or on the opposite side of the hall; I'll make that decision on Saturday as I see what conditions are like.

If you're coming off the DC Metro, if you take the exit at the head end of the train, when you get upstairs and walk into the station, the Post Office Annex is on your left and a book store is on the right. Turn left down the long hall leading to the gates and walk past a liquor store & Sabaros on the left. At the first hall on your right, turn right and look for the CS office and the group.

If you come off the DC Metro via the middle exit you'll be entering more in the great hall. Turn left and walk past all the stores & exhibits/tables. Just before you get to the Amtrak ticket windows, turn left into the hallway for the CS office.

The alternative meeting point, just in case something stops us from meeting at the above point, will be near the escalators that take you down to the food court, which are located in front of the Amtrak ticket windows.

Since we're now just 3 weeks away from NTD, I guess that it's time for this.

First, I'd like very much to get together an accurate list of who is going to be there. As you saw, I failed miserably when I rattled off a bunch of names earlier, missing several people. While I don't expect to take attendance and won't necessarily delay things to look for someone, I'd still like to know just who we should be looking for so as to try to ensure that we all do get together.

So to that end, I'd like for each person attending to just send me an email to let me know that they will be in DC for at least some portion of the day and looking for the group. Please let me know how you’re arriving, Amtrak & train #, Metro, other, etc and approximately what time if you’re not on an Amtrak train. If you don't have tickets for the 12PM tour or are coming in later than that, please include that info in your email, otherwise I’ll assume that you’re ticketed for the 12 PM tour.

Please also let me know if you plan to join us for the group lunch. I’m thinking to make the reservation for 1:30 PM, so as to give us enough time to get through all the train car exhibits. I’m going to give everyone a week before trying to make a reservation, so you’ve got until Monday April 25th to let me know if you’re joining us for lunch. After that, I’ll try to add anyone, but I cannot promise that we can add you.

I’ll acknowledge your email by sending you my cell phone number, such that you can call/text me to let me know if your train is running late or if you’re having trouble finding the group. At your option, if you also include your cell phone number I’ll be able to send you a text message should plans change, like finding that the planned meeting point isn’t going to work. I’ll be heading down to DC on Friday, so I should be there early on Saturday morning before the first Acela arrives.
========================================================================================

Hey, Alan! I'll be arriving on Northeast Regional #153 due in at 11:30AM. And it seems this meeting was written in fate, becausse I have tour tickets for 12:00PM! Like, wow. I'd love to meet with you and others in the group, go to the tour and all the other things, and 1:30 lunch sounds perfect. I'm guessing since you're one of the AU administrators, you have my email, if that's true then use that if you wish, to give me your cell number. As for Twitter, well, I'll keep my comments to myself.. :)

Thanks for this thoughtful invite of company and rail bonding!

rje aka. NE933

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bumping this topic back to the first page, since while I've heard from several people so far, there are many more who indicated that they would be in DC in the other topic regarding what time that I've not yet heard from.

Just bumping this topic back to the first page, since while I've heard from several people so far, there are many more who indicated that they would be in DC in the other topic regarding what time that I've not yet heard from.
Another heads up... there may be about 4 or 5 folks from the Indian Railways Fan Club of North America (IRFCNA) (a group that I mentioned on the "Happy Birthday Indian Railways" thread, who might decide to join our merry band at various points. I know that they will be there and some have got 12 noon tickets and expressed a desire to join up with rail minded folks. All of them are arriving by 11:30. Some are students and being on really low subsistence budgets, are taking Megabus from NY. With your permission I will let them know where this group will meet up, if that's OK by you. While I cannot take full responsibility for anyone, I think they are a cool and generally well behaved, as well behaved as railfans can be when confronted by an Acela or an Amtrak 40th Anniversary special that is. :)

I think they are a cool and generally well behaved, as well behaved as railfans can be when confronted by an Acela or an Amtrak 40th Anniversary special that is. :)
If they are as "well behaved" as the AU Gang - I feel sorry for them!
mosking.gif

Another heads up... there may be about 4 or 5 folks from the Indian Railways Fan Club of North America (IRFCNA) (a group that I mentioned on the "Happy Birthday Indian Railways" thread, who might decide to join our merry band at various points. I know that they will be there and some have got 12 noon tickets and expressed a desire to join up with rail minded folks. All of them are arriving by 11:30. Some are students and being on really low subsistence budgets, are taking Megabus from NY. With your permission I will let them know where this group will meet up, if that's OK by you. While I cannot take full responsibility for anyone, I think they are a cool and generally well behaved, as well behaved as railfans can be when confronted by an Acela or an Amtrak 40th Anniversary special that is. :)
Arriving by bus to a train event? :eek: Sacrilege!

No objections Jishnu. :)

I'm guessing from the limited budget issue that they won't be joining us for the group lunch, but if some do want to do that, I'll need to know and very soon such that the reservation can be made.

I just sent you an email, but twitter says that there's no account with that email address so I'm not sure that I got it right.

I'm a n00b to the twitterverse as well, but would suggest that folks use a hashtag when making posts about the event (#ntd_was_au perhaps?) - that'll make it easier to connect with folks without having to follow everyone that may tweet about it. If there's a better way to do it, I'd be all ears as well. It seems like twitter is made for these kinds of things, though...

Edit:

Also just found that @natltrainday is the account that's posting Train Day related news...

I just sent you an email, but twitter says that there's no account with that email address so I'm not sure that I got it right.
I found the same thing about Alan's Twitter account. So it's just not you. (Maybe Alan's trying to hide!
mosking.gif
)
And yet someone else has managed to find & follow me!

So I'm not sure what's up with that. So make sure that you're using all lowercase letters when you search for ahblid.

I'm guessing from the limited budget issue that they won't be joining us for the group lunch, but if some do want to do that, I'll need to know and very soon such that the reservation can be made.
I have asked them to get back to me within the next two days if they would like to be included in the lunch group. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

BTW, I sent you a PM about myself. Do you want me to find you on Twitter in addition? :)

I found the same thing about Alan's Twitter account. So it's just not you. (Maybe Alan's trying to hide!
mosking.gif
)
And yet someone else has managed to find & follow me!

So I'm not sure what's up with that. So make sure that you're using all lowercase letters when you search for ahblid.
PS. You could also try to find me by the phone number.

I have asked them to get back to me within the next two days if they would like to be included in the lunch group. I will let you know as soon as I hear back.
K.

BTW, I sent you a PM about myself.
Got it! :) Sorry I forgot to acknowledge it! But then I also knew that you already had my phone number, which was the bigger part of acknowledging things.

Do you want me to find you on Twitter in addition? :)
Your choice; but not really necessary. At this point there are only 3 on 2203, so I can just text one of you if no one from that group follows me.

I still think Alan's hiding from the KGB and doesn't want to be found!
mosking.gif
Thanks for the link - now I can stalk Alan!
laugh.gif
It is very easy to hide from the KGB these days since one has to do nothing to hide from a non-existent thing. OTOH hiding from the FSB - now that would be something :p

Even after following you, Twitter still can't find you:
I'll be quite honest, I've barely taken the time to figure out how to setup my account, much less do anything else. So perhaps it's the fact that I've done nothing with my profile or maybe that I've not sent a single tweet to date. I warned everyone that I don't plan to use it with any regularity.

But I can assure you that you're now listed as a follower on my pages. :)

Even after following you, Twitter still can't find you:
I'll be quite honest, I've barely taken the time to figure out how to setup my account, much less do anything else. So perhaps it's the fact that I've done nothing with my profile or maybe that I've not sent a single tweet to date. I warned everyone that I don't plan to use it with any regularity.

But I can assure you that you're now listed as a follower on my pages. :)
I think you have to put one tweet out for the search to find you.

I'm planning on being there sometime that day, but not exactly sure when. Any way to meet people later in the day?

A few final thoughts for Saturday:

Many of those attending have met one or more of the group that will be in DC. However, there are several whom as far as I know have never met anyone before in real life. So to help with things, in addition to the meeting place outlined earlier in this topic and my cell phone number that I supplied to all who informed me that they were coming, here's a few other helpful tips to help find us.

We'll be a rather large group, at least 25 people.

I'll be wearing my Vicksburg Southern RR baseball cap, which has a white, yellow, & black patch. Won't promise that I'll wear this all day, but certainly for the meet prior to our tour.

I'll be wearing my name tag from the AU Gatherings.

The plan is to start walking towards the entrance to the exhibits a couple of minutes before Noon, so as to join the line right at the Noon hour. If for some reason you get there late and miss us, but you're still within the half hour window, take the tour and then catch up with us. Try to let me know and we can try to wait at the exit for you. Or if you're too late for the tour, meet us at the exit. If you're super late, hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone, look for us at the Capitol Brewery.

I suspect that after lunch is over most of us will want to wander back through Union Station and some of the other exhibits and displays; prior to gradually splitting off to catch our trains home. Those with access to the Club Acela will no doubt want to head there prior to their departures.

Sorry! :( My apologies, somehow I missed sending you that info.

But I've rectified things now, so check your PM's. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back