Nothing Could Be Finer Than Dinner In The Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dinner and desserts on the hoosier state south bound #850 train on Nov 28, 2016
Is that "pie?" I don't think it is - pie comes in a little round plastic container with a cellophane peel-off top.
I'm sure that one did too.... Iowa Pacific is just smart to plate it and serve it with some class!
EXACTLY!

Plate the frozen Amy's enchiladas and sprinkle some herbs and cheese on top, and I'm happily (at least not-unhappily) eating "Southwest Chief Special Southwest Enchilada" - even though I KNOW it's just a frozen entree.

Serve it to me in the same tray it came out of the box in, and I'm feeling like a sucker for paying $18.99 for a frozen dinner.

Recent dinner on the Hoosier State. Grilled Cheese with Pasta Salad and Tiramisu for dessert.

Yes the tiramisu is served Amtrak style in the plastic cup that it was pre-packaged in. Not a complaint, just stating a fact. :p

Eating dinner in a full length dome on a regional train seems like a dream, I reccomend everyone grab the opportunity while it lasts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hmm, Cholula Sauce is great! But why do you use the phrase "while the opportunity lasts"?
I realize they are not being paid "union rates" but they had 3 attendants (for coach and business class), a LSA type position, and a cook on board the train.
I don't see how that works out financially but they claim that revenue is up. If it lasts... Great. But I am going To be surprised if it makes it long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, Cholula Sauce is great! But why do you use the phrase "while the opportunity lasts"?
I realize they are not being paid "union rates" but they had 3 attendants (for coach and business class), a LSA type position, and a cook on board the train.
I don't see how that works out financially but they claim that revenue is up. If it lasts... Great. But I am going To be surprised if it makes it long term.
You might be on to something. Something that I've been saying for a long time to watch out for. Ride it while you can. Same with any other IPH car or line.

The "Griddled, made to order trio of buttermilk pancakes" on the SL / TE last week. Gigantic portion. Replaced the French Toast.

IMG_1279.jpg

Had the pancakes on the EB a month or so ago and didn't like them at all - about 3/8" thick, stiff and dry. I thought the French toast was much, much better But then I prefer the thin moist pancakes like the Wife makes. However, Amtrak's pancakes are no doubt someone else's gustatorial delight.

As I'm one of those people who likes to take pictures of my meals, I'm starting a thread for us to share our meals on the train. Feel free to post any meals on Amtrak you may have had recently - it may help someone decide what to have for their next meal.

Amtrak 11 - Coast Starlight - Lunch - 10/11/2016

Dessert was a cheesecake (single serving) with fresh/frozen strawberries added on top. Better execution than the one where strawberry flavoring was mixed in.
I rode the Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA back in the 1980's. I don't remember any meals in particular.

But, the cheesecake I ate, was so delicious, it was a divine culinary experience.

The afterglow of eating it stayed with me for a long long time.

I can count on one hand, the number of times that food has had that deep an impact on me, that I could and would reminisce about it, even decades later.

There was the prime rib at Lakeway in Austin. I think they must have slaughtered the cow that day.

Had the pancakes on the EB a month or so ago and didn't like them at all - about 3/8" thick, stiff and dry. I thought the French toast was much, much better But then I prefer the thin moist pancakes like the Wife makes. However, Amtrak's pancakes are no doubt someone else's gustatorial delight.
Lord, when they went with heat and serve pancakes, people cried, now were back to fresh made now people cry about inconsistency between the cooks. :rolleyes:

My best dinner combo would be a medium-done steak and a glass of Merlot wine, sided with any dessert but the sugarless vanila pudding. Had exactly that for dinner for the most part of my winter trip on the Builder, Chief, and the Starlight. I also like the fact that on the Hoosier State you get four boozy drinks with a business class ticket, and dinner that you would never expect on other routes' diners. Na zdrowie.

Lord, when they went with heat and serve pancakes, people cried, now were back to fresh made now people cry about inconsistency between the cooks.
It's almost like they're upset to be paying for poor quality food in a captive environment. The nerve of these people. To be fair pancakes are one of the easiest meals to screw up if you're not precise during preparation and paying attention to the cooking process, so they might not be the best possible match for a challenging work environment.

Here's "Sliced Turkey Breast" on the Empire Builder:
The string bean piercing the gravy is a nice touch.
The fast food ketchup cup and random drip mark really completes the look.

Back