Nothing Could Be Finer Than Dinner In The Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jebr

Enthusiastic Transit Rider
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
As I'm one of those people who likes to take pictures of my meals, I'm starting a thread for us to share our meals on the train. Feel free to post any meals on Amtrak you may have had recently - it may help someone decide what to have for their next meal.

Amtrak 11 - Coast Starlight - Lunch - 10/11/2016

Salad with bread was offered as a starter. Substantial salad with various vegetables.

Had a veggie burger with bacon and cheese. Standard issue, although the bun seemed to be a bit better than normal. I generally prefer this over the Angus burger and it adds some variety.

Dessert was a cheesecake (single serving) with fresh/frozen strawberries added on top. Better execution than the one where strawberry flavoring was mixed in.

1476224276730.jpg

1476224442065.jpg

1476224465310.jpg

1476224569478.jpg

I will never get that song out of my head.

Pics in a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the LD diners, but have to go with a recent Acela First Class trip from WAS to BOS.

Scrambled eggs with bacon and potatoes. Followed by the short ribs for lunch.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

The lighter fruit breakfast selection. Add something to wash it down.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

I took a picture of my very first meal on a LD trip on the westbound Empire Builder between LaCrosse and Winona from back in May, 2012 and also of breakfast on day 2 in Libby as the train was 8+ hours late by then.

010.JPG

Breakfast 5-18.JPG

Dinner on #14 in Parlour Car (Lamb Shank) and Dessert. Third picture is lunch on #14 on the second day.

20160807_180250.jpg

20160807_182413.jpg

20160808_124558.jpg

The lighter fruit breakfast selection. Add something to wash it down.

attachicon.gif
IMG_0024.jpg
What are you washing it down with? It looks good.

Here are the Turkey Meatballs that don't seem to be on the menu anymore. I liked them. This was lunch on the CZ 2015.

P4300113.JPG

And another Acela First Class breakfast selection.

IMG_0006.jpg

I don't eat eggs so that picture is of my usual AMTRAK breakfast, except I usually add a side of bacon.

What is that huge meat covering the entire plate with the asparagus. Is that the steak? Some foods do not take a good picture and more is not always better and that meal has little appeal to me, I tend to eat with my eyes and if it looks good, it is good. The Turkey Meat Balls look great and appealing. The smaller steak looks better.

The bowl of whipped cream looks good! I used to use cool whip and tons of it until I realized how artificial it really was. I use the real thing now only less. I have managed to loose 110 pounds after 2 heart attacks and death, brought back at age 65. I just eat smarter, less carbs and less.

About 5 or 6 years ago when gourmet chefs were hired to develop the food menus the food served on Amtrak was very good. That program died along with the table flowers,newspaper, ice and desert chocolates. Since then the food quality has declined. Its not terrible by any means, just a disappointment for the premium sleeper prices that they charge. We've dined with some of the best; Alain Ducassse, Joel Robuchon, Mario Batali, Danile Bolud, Jean-Michel Burgougnoux so perhaps we are a bit spoiled but hopefully the food quality will get better in the years to come.

Max, did you order a bowl of whipped cream for dessert or was there something underneath the whipped cream?
It was a chocolate mousse, I think. I liked the strawberry on top!
The bowl of whipped cream looks good! I used to use cool whip and tons of it until I realized how artificial it really was. I use the real thing now only less. I have managed to loose 110 pounds after 2 heart attacks and death, brought back at age 65. I just eat smarter, less carbs and less.
You were brought back from death? I've heard of different stages of death, but I never would have thought someone who went through that would be posting here.

Breakfast on the Hoosier State (northbound).

Beverages on the Hoosier State (southbound)--gratis in Business Class.

DSCN1663.JPG

hoosier state beverages.jpg

The Culinary Advisory Team still exists, but I'm not sure what constraints or parameters they are given. Just got back from a roundtrip on the Crescent, dinner and breakfast Southbound, dinner, breakfast, early lunch Northbound. Not bad, not great, but certainly at least "good" Salad seemed a little better than my last trip, steak was cooked as I ordered it, sauce on Southbound, on the side Northbound (probably a good idea if it is not asked by server whether you want it), tried the chicken and biscuits Southbound, not bad, didn't have Northbound went with "old standby" scrambled eggs, decent bacon, they haven't gone to the see thru portion control stuff, pretty good veg burger. LSA, one waiter, and a chef, could have used a little extra help, but they were polite and efficient. Short of most desserts on the Southbound, had the vanilla pudding, Northbound had the chocolate cake with the liquid center. Small but very good. OJ was good at breakfast. All in all not bad. My first time in 8400/Indianapolis (Northbound)

Max, did you order a bowl of whipped cream for dessert or was there something underneath the whipped cream?
It was a chocolate mousse, I think. I liked the strawberry on top!
You were brought back from death? I've heard of different stages of death, but I never would have thought someone who went through that would be posting here.
I been posting here long before I had two heart attacks and I am pretty normal, just healthy, so why would I not post here, I even travel on Amtrak,without wings.

What is that huge meat covering the entire plate with the asparagus. Is that the steak?
SHORT RIBS WITH MOREL MUSHROOM SAUCE - Boneless short ribs with cauliflower and leek mash, asparagus and morel sauce.

It was really good. Had it both directions on the Acela.

Pork Shanks for lunch on the Southwest Chief this year.

Second picture is the steak on The Starlight in 2012.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are off topic but were from the same trip as the Starlight steak. But were taken on the Canadian.

DSC_2900e.jpg

DSC_4432e1.jpg

DSC_3295e1.jpg

DSC_2187e1.jpg

The Culinary Advisory Team still exists, but I'm not sure what constraints or parameters they are given. Just got back from a roundtrip on the Crescent, dinner and breakfast Southbound, dinner, breakfast, early lunch Northbound. Not bad, not great, but certainly at least "good" Salad seemed a little better than my last trip, steak was cooked as I ordered it, sauce on Southbound, on the side Northbound (probably a good idea if it is not asked by server whether you want it), tried the chicken and biscuits Southbound, not bad, didn't have Northbound went with "old standby" scrambled eggs, decent bacon, they haven't gone to the see thru portion control stuff, pretty good veg burger. LSA, one waiter, and a chef, could have used a little extra help, but they were polite and efficient. Short of most desserts on the Southbound, had the vanilla pudding, Northbound had the chocolate cake with the liquid center. Small but very good. OJ was good at breakfast. All in all not bad. My first time in 8400/Indianapolis (Northbound)
We ride the Crescent every so often, most recently back in February, and I've never been unhappy with the food. Some of it is just okay, and some of it is legitimately good.

I like the omelet with a croissant in the morning, typically a salad with chicken for lunch, and a steak for dinner. We've been pretty happy with something along those lines. I've also had the baked chicken, which was just okay, and the vegetable lasagna, which was good but a small portion. Wife has had the Angus burger and likes it a lot.

The woman sitting across from me had the spinach salad with chicken (lunch item) at dinner Northbound because she wasn't that hungry, and said it was pretty good. Vegetable Lasagna is on hiatus, and has been previously discussed in other threads, the half chicken has been replaced by a few different chicken breast offerings. I was pretty happy with everything I ate.

Pork Shanks for lunch on the Southwest Chief this year.

Second picture is the steak on The Starlight in 2012.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are off topic but were from the same trip as the Starlight steak. But were taken on the Canadian.
Noticeable difference between Amtrak and VIA. The Canadian meals appear more elegant and inviting, probably comes with the higher fares. :)

Back