Notes on the City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noordam

Train Attendant
Short note on the City of New Orleans.

The people were not talking about it jumping the tracks on the City. But on the Sunset they said nobody is "talking" about it and that normally points to crew problems with drugs or alochol.

It appears Amtrak has gone to one menu for a train. So the Sunset will only have one menu for the whole trip. I was told that a lot of people are upset for multi-night trips.

The City left on time. (Sunset was late and I had only 30 minutes between trains)

const

Train 58

04/19/04

Eng 85

Baggage 1213

Trans Sleeper 39045

Diner 38004

Lounge 33020

Coach 31530

Coach 34049

Coach 34008

Sleeper 32053

I believe Amtrak never, at any point, had multi menus for one trip. In fact, the new menus are much better as they offer more selections for each meal and dinner includes the daily special, which changes every night.

dinner includes the daily special, which changes every night.
You keep believing that Jon. :lol: The Specials change when the cycle changes for that train, the special on Cycle 2 down here forever was the Short Ribs. The Special does change when the cycle changes though. It'd be too hard for Amtrak Chefs if they had a different menu item every night, and besides which you run out of items after a while.

battalion51 said:
dinner includes the daily special, which changes every night.
You keep believing that Jon. :lol: The Specials change when the cycle changes for that train, the special on Cycle 2 down here forever was the Short Ribs. The Special does change when the cycle changes though. It'd be too hard for Amtrak Chefs if they had a different menu item every night, and besides which you run out of items after a while.
And it still is the short ribs of beef, which are not bad by the way. I was more talking about trains like the Sunset that has three dinners in the course of it's route. Then I would think the special changes.

The Specials do not necessarily change with every cycle. At least out West, I have seen several special items on different trips with the same menu.

I would think it would be wise to avoid any speculation about the City of New Orleans incident - especially when you are quoting other peoples' comments.

The Sunset Ltd uses one menu cycle for one direction and another for the other direction. The menu doesn't change during the one direction trip, though, regardless of how long you are on the train. From what I have seen each train usually has two dinner specials which alternate every night. Mon night might be the stuffed chicken breast, Tuesday the meatloaf, and then Wednesday back to the stuffed chicken breast. At least that's how it's been when I was on the Sunset, SW Chief, Coast Starlight and California Zephyr.

One other note on the Sunset. I do not know about all the crew, but my sleeping car attendant was doing a round-trip from LA. She said she got only 8 hours sleep on the trip out do to problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back