Not the only Empire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

I called Amtrak today and found out that there is more than one Empire Builder train. So the question is - which one is getting refurbished first?

There actually is only one, but it has two sections. The train splits in Spokane, with half the train going to Seattle (trains 7/8) and half going to Portland (trains 27/28). Both sections are being upgraded simultaneously.

Well when I talked to the woman on the phone, she said that the train leaves every day from Chicago. How can that be?

Guest_Gingee said:
Well when I talked to the woman on the phone, she said that the train leaves every day from Chicago. How can that be?
The train leaves every day from Chicago heading west. When it gets to Spokanne Washington, it splits in half. One half goes to Seattle Wa., the other half goes to Portland Oregon.

Going the other way, the halves leave from the same cities and are combined in Spokanne.

Amtrak has enough of the newly refurbished cars to run both the east and west bound trains at the same time.

I think I see the confusion. The Empire Builder is one route (well, two, if you cout the Spokane-Portland leg), one schedule, but it uses five sets of equipment to cover the schedule for daily service.

As Alan noted, Amtrak has refurbished enough equipment that most trains have been operating with rebuilt cars for several months now, but the new on-board services are officially launched later this month.

I just rode the Empire Builder this morning. It was actually the July 31st departure from Chicago. All the cars were refurbished, including the lounge. They did an excelent job on the louge with new seats and tables. It will for sure be the hot spot in the train. I tried to peak into the sleepers. It looked nice from what I could see. I guess this train will become the second upgraded train to depart SEA/PDX, on August 2nd.

Can't wait to experience the new service when I take it again in about 2 weeks!

Chris

I'm still not getting it. I understand that it splits on the west coast but wouldn't there be one heading back at the same time?

I can't wait to see pictures of the "new train".

Back