Norm?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
I found this comment in the Narp Hotline news release from Sept. 9 regarding Amtrak's evacuation train from New Orleans.

A Department of Transportation news release, issued September 2, has this positive comment from Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta: “We have clear tracks and an empty train ready to help get residents safely out of the city. Amtrak gives us yet another way to help move people so we can get the job done as quickly, comfortably and reliably as possible.”

What the heck is up with him?

I assume this was a political move, any thoughts?

Jon

Well Amtrak was indeed ready, but it seems like FEMA dropped the ball on that one.

But yes, I'm sure that it was a political move. Bush was already catching it for the slow pace of rescue and evacuation, so Minetta like the rest of the Bush cabinet was in damage control.

Even if they had been pro-Amtrak this statement would have still been made, since the point of it has nothing to do with Amtrak being good or bad, it's simply to make it look like help is on the way.

Sadly as we all know, help wasn't on the way. :(

Back