Niagara Falls Trip Plans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajbrook

I'm planning a trip from New York to Niagara then on to Chicago. My planned route at the moment is NY - Buffalo Exchange (for overnight hotel) - bus or cab to Niagara Falls - but what is the best way to get from Niagara to Buffalo Depew for the 2359 train to Chicago? Any advice welcome. Thank you

Why not take the Train all the way to Niagara Falls, Ontario and spend the night, not much in Downtown Buffalo @ Night!

On the Return consider taking the Maple Leaf from Niagara Falls to Utica and catching the Lake Shore Lt. there! This is a day Trip and you would also be able to have Lunch on the Train, Dinner (theres a really Good Cafe in the Beautiful Utica Station) or even Eat Dinner in the Diner if Boarding in Utica!! Waiting around Depew Station for a Midnight train (it's usually Late!) isnt fun and theres nothing close to the station either! I've done this several times, it's an EZ Connection!

When we've been to Niagara Falls we were quite cheesed off by the touristy atmosphere. The Niagara Falls, ON station is linked to the falls by the WEGO buses.

http://www.niagaraparks.com/wego/ The falls itself are quite impressive, though.

However, don't miss the craft brewery, close to the train station, they do great stuff:

http://www.tapsbeer.ca/blog/

It just stinks that the International Limited has been canceled a few years ago, otherwise you would have had a decent connection via Toronto.

What's the 2359 train? Never heard of such a train before.

Should just ride to Buffalo, stay overnight, ride a bus to Niagara, ride a bus back to Buffalo, then Train 49 to Chicago.

What's the 2359 train? Never heard of such a train before.

Should just ride to Buffalo, stay overnight, ride a bus to Niagara, ride a bus back to Buffalo, then Train 49 to Chicago.
I would guess it's the time the train arrives...on a 24 hour clock.

From downtown Buffalo there are city transit bus routes to Niagara Falls, NY. If you take the train to the Falls, there is no baggage storage on the American side. If you go to the Canadian station, there is storage at the bus station across the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually like Buffalo a lot, it has a rather faded, "past its best" feel. One can use the No. 40 local bus to visit Niagara and return same day for a couple of $... I seem to remember that there is no easy public transport way to get from either downtown Buffalo or Niagara Falls to the Depew station. We did things the other way around, arriving at Depew and leaving for NY from Exchange. We just got a cab from Depew into town, but I can't remember the cost...

Ed :cool:

Take the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls Ontario. the view from the Canada side is better anyway. Scheduled to arrive at 4:40PM. Hang out at the falls until after sunset to see the lights on the falls.

The returning Maple Leaf the next moning stops at both BUF and Depew. You still will have over 10 hours to kill in the buffalo area before getting on the LSL about midnight.

Why not take the Train all the way to Niagara Falls, Ontario and spend the night, not much in Downtown Buffalo @ Night!

On the Return consider taking the Maple Leaf from Niagara Falls to Utica and catching the Lake Shore Lt. there! This is a day Trip and you would also be able to have Lunch on the Train, Dinner (theres a really Good Cafe in the Beautiful Utica Station) or even Eat Dinner in the Diner if Boarding in Utica!! Waiting around Depew Station for a Midnight train (it's usually Late!) isnt fun and theres nothing close to the station either! I've done this several times, it's an EZ Connection!
Not sure the restaurant in Utica station is still there. I like the general plan but would flip back west at Syracuse not Utica. The station at Syracuse has a food opition, but there a mall next door. The lack of a sidewalk to the mall, and the fact you walk under several bridges to get there is a downside. But the mall recent open a new section with some intresting time killers.

Not sure the restaurant in Utica station is still there. I like the general plan but would flip back west at Syracuse not Utica. The station at Syracuse has a food opition, but there a mall next door. The lack of a sidewalk to the mall, and the fact you walk under several bridges to get there is a downside. But the mall recent open a new section with some intresting time killers.
The restaurant is still there. Don't know the operating hours for sure though. ESPA holds at least one of its working meetings each year in that restaurant. I was there last about 4 months back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back