Newbie Travel Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStarJeffe

Train Attendant
Hi everybody. I am booked in a roomette on the Sunset Limited departing Houston at 9:45 PM. This is my first Amtrak trip and I have a few questions.

• How large physically are the tickets? I am wondering about the best way to carry them while on board. Looking at the kiosk demo they seem the same size as airline tickets on the harder card stock the way airlines used to use. Is that the case?
  • Leaving that late, does the conductor usually collect the ticket before I board or after I get on board?
  • Will the roomette usually be configured for sleep given the time of boarding?
  • Will a tall travel mug work with the coffee machine in the sleeper or will only a normal mug fit?
  • I hear space is limited in the roomettes. Is there a hook in roomettes to hang a backpack from?

Thank you for any advance for your help with these questions.

Regards,

LoneStarJeffe

1. Tickets are a bit larger that airline tickets but on stiff card stock like airline tickets. I can keep mine in a shirt pocket, although usually my wife keeps both of ours in her purse.

2. If you're in a roomette the Sleeping Car Attendant will take your ticket. Not sure about coach. And in HOS, the conductor may check your ID and ticket before you leave the terminal.

3. The room will probably be configured for daytime.

4. Tall mug may be a problem. But you can fill one of the provided paper ones a few times and pour it in your mug.

5. There is a hook in the roomette; I've hung a day pack on it. An average size back pack should be OK.

Your comparison to airline tickets is a good one. Although the paper stock is thinner.

Odds are that your sleeping car attendant will take your ticket, if the conductor doesn't meet you at the door first.

The sleeping car attendant should also have your room ready for sleeping when you board.

You most likely will not be able to get a big mug under the spicket for the perk pot. I can't get mine under it. So I just use one of Amtrak's paper cups, and refill it to fill up my mug.

Space is indeed limited. Depending on which type of sleeping car you get, you may or may not have more options. One comes with a small closet, while the other has a large metal loop that holds hangers. If you can unbuckle one of the straps, then you can easily hang it from the metal loop if you get that type of car. If not, then the weight of your backpack will determine if you can hang it from one of the small metal pop out hooks for things like a light jacket or a pair of pants. You may also be able to put your backpack on the small steps for the upper bunk.

Hi everybody. I am booked in a roomette on the Sunset Limited departing Houston at 9:45 PM. This is my first Amtrak trip and I have a few questions.

• How large physically are the tickets? I am wondering about the best way to carry them while on board. Looking at the kiosk demo they seem the same size as airline tickets on the harder card stock the way airlines used to use. Is that the case?
  • Leaving that late, does the conductor usually collect the ticket before I board or after I get on board?
  • Will the roomette usually be configured for sleep given the time of boarding?
  • Will a tall travel mug work with the coffee machine in the sleeper or will only a normal mug fit?
  • I hear space is limited in the roomettes. Is there a hook in roomettes to hang a backpack from?

Thank you for any advance for your help with these questions.

Regards,

LoneStarJeffe
Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems like the roomettes have bigger closets than the bedroom and family room. If the pack doesn't fit in the closet, it should easily fit elsewhere. Keep in mind the roomette is only one seat in width but takes up about the same real estate as 2 side by side coach seats. Plenty of room in there for one person.

If you are riding by yourself you can lower the top bed and store your pack and any other stuff you want to take to the Roomette! There is also a Large Luggage Rack Downstairs for Bigger Stuff by the Roomettes and Family Bedroom. (on the other side Downstairs are the Bathrooms, Shower and H Room!) Believe your other questions have been answered, be sure and enjoy looking @ the old RR Memrobelia on the walls of the Houston Station, from back in the days when Railroads were King!!! And if the Creative Charter PV Cars are stored on the Siding @ the Station check them out(from the Outside), pretty nice Rides!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back