New York Penn Station passengers lining up early

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty surprised when I took the Vermonter earlier this year that it was departing from the lower level.

First off track 9 is the first track with a catenary if I recall right. I'm sure ThirdRail can correct me if I'm wrong. Which basically guarantees 6, 7, and 8 will be MARC trains. Generally MARC will also be on 9, 10, 11 as well.

But in the evenings especially I've seen regionals come in on all of them. Generally Acela's are never really on 9 and 10 but again I've seen it happen when I've been sleeping on 9 track. The Capitol Limited generally leaves from fifteen I think and comes in down on the lower level I believe usually 25.

The tracks that aren't used on the lower level are 30 (private car storage, stub end), 29 (electric holding track), 24 (diesel holding track).

Acela's are generally departing from the last track on the upper level, along with regionals. I've never seen a MARC on that end of the station.

Now one time I've seen an Acela on the Lower level but it was purely there waiting on a track to open up on the upper level. With no passengers. But I've only ever seen it once and it was on a day of major delays.

First off track 9 is the first track with a catenary if I recall right. I'm sure ThirdRail can correct me if I'm wrong. Which basically guarantees 6, 7, and 8 will be MARC trains. Generally MARC will also be on 9, 10, 11 as well.
The lowest numbered station track in WT is 7 track. There is no 6 tk. 7-9 do not have catenary. The lowest number with catenary is 10 track.

But in the evenings especially I've seen regionals come in on all of them. Generally Acela's are never really on 9 and 10 but again I've seen it happen when I've been sleeping on 9 track. The Capitol Limited generally leaves from fifteen I think and comes in down on the lower level I believe usually 25.
In general, you will not see an Acela set on any track except 20-17. The Capital usually departs from 15 and arrives on 23, if it is available.

The tracks that aren't used on the lower level are 30 (private car storage, stub end), 29 (electric holding track), 24 (diesel holding track).
30 track is a storage track for the Amtrak special cars and private cars, 29 is generally used for inspecting electric engines and 22 is the diesel staging track.

Acela's are generally departing from the last track on the upper level, along with regionals. I've never seen a MARC on that end of the station.

Now one time I've seen an Acela on the Lower level but it was purely there waiting on a track to open up on the upper level. With no passengers. But I've only ever seen it once and it was on a day of major delays.
MARC trains will often arrive on 17-20 at the tail end of the morning rush hour. One of the things I like to point out to newbies is Maryland paid for the high platforms on the lower numbered tracks (9-14). That is why you'll often see Amtrak trains on the lower level during rush hour while the MARC trains are on the upper level.

All and all, not too bad Seaboard. I'm not sure if I'll qualify you though.
default_happy.png

The lowest numbered station track in WT is 7 track. There is no 6 tk. 7-9 do not have catenary. The lowest number with catenary is 10 track.

In general, you will not see an Acela set on any track except 20-17. The Capital usually departs from 15 and arrives on 23, if it is available.

30 track is a storage track for the Amtrak special cars and private cars, 29 is generally used for inspecting electric engines and 22 is the diesel staging track.

MARC trains will often arrive on 17-20 at the tail end of the morning rush hour. One of the things I like to point out to newbies is Maryland paid for the high platforms on the lower numbered tracks (9-14). That is why you'll often see Amtrak trains on the lower level during rush hour while the MARC trains are on the upper level.

All and all, not too bad Seaboard. I'm not sure if I'll qualify you though.
default_happy.png
I generally don't pay attention to the tracks with the exception of 30, 29, 28 when my cars are on the lower deck. And I also know 9, 10 because of my car. The rest of the stuff in DC I just walk to where I need to go. Which is usually the commissary, or the crew office for the shuttle.

For hat ever reason I forgot a platform on the lower level.

Back