New to AU, not to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
Greetings from Kansas City. Next month I am relocating back home to Seattle and I'm doing it all in an Amtrak roomette via the SWC to Chicago and then on the EB, my favorite route. This will be my 2nd time in a roomette and while I was tempted to take the SWC in the other direction with a transfer to the CS for a change in scenery, I must admit the salmon dinner on the builder lured me in, again.

I have been riding Amtrak since the early 80's, I have fond memories of The Pioneer and linking up with the DW and CZ forming one grand train to Denver and Chicago. I really miss The Pioneer, it was a small consist making for a very cozy atmosphere.

I have not so good memories of the Capitol Limited and even worse, the Crescent, but I won't go into any of that now.

Since having the roomette a couple of years ago I have never gone back even though I have great memories of riding coach and meeting some wonderful people.

I leave on the 8th and can't wait, until then, the personal stories/travelogues are keeping me entertained. It's always great to read about trains I've been on, as I can easily picture what is being experienced.

Garethe

Welcome back to the Northwest! I too have fond memories of meeting wonderful people in coach, but I'm too old to go back to sleeping in a seat, so we always get roomettes now. We meet nice people over the meals in the diner as well, but I agree, it's not quite the community you can find in coach.

Please leave a trip report so we can see how the journey goes. Hubby and I will be heading eastbound a month after you.

Thank you for the welcome. I will definitely post a trip log. Did you have the salmon? I know I'm not the only one that raves about it, I met a number of people my last trip on the EB that also loved it.

I forgot to add in my intro that I work as a machinist and much of my job involves unloading rail cars, you have no idea how high up you are until you have to climb up on top of them.

I had the salmon, and although it is Atlantic salmon (farm raised) and I much prefer Sockeye, Coho, Chinook or King salmon (wild), I must admit it was quite good! :)

And a slight correction on my earlier statement: It is also offered in the PPC on the southbound CS. Thus, for me 5 out of 5 of my last LD trains during the past week!

I've had the full salmon dinner on the EB, and it was delicious every time. And there's a different salmon opportunity as well: if you ever take the Portland section east bound, go for the cold salmon box dinner on the first night -- prepared locally, and one of the best I've had (on a train, or off!!). Have a great trip, the EB is lots of fun!

Back