new to amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I don't know if this is the correct place for this , but. I have never been on a train before. I am absolutely terrified of flying so as a result, I really haven't been to many places. I am perusing all the different trips etc. That Amtrak offers. I keep getting unsolicited advice from people not to take Amtrak, that it's dirty etc. I live in North Carolina and thought I might start out taking a trip to DC, and then maybe NYC. I would ultimately like to be able to travel to Chicago. However, never being on a train, the trip to Chicago takes almost 24 hours. That seems to me to be a really long time to be cooped up. So, has any one ever done the amtrak heritage tour, or amtrak goes to Broadway? I would really be thankful for any helpful advice for someone who knows nothing about train travel, but it very excited to begin. Thanks so much to all.

Hi Victoria,

Welcome Aboard - this is the perfect spot for your inquiry.

I think your approach to give it a try is quite good. Most Amtrak trains are actually quite clean, though occasionally something can go wrong enroute. Service is hit or miss, but typically is passable. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is On-Time Performance, so patience is a plus.

N. Carolina to DC and back would be a good start - I'm not sure where in Carolina you are but there are a number of trains linking the two areas. Trains are really pretty roomy, especially compared to tour buses (I would also say planes, but you haven't set foot on one.) The ability to get up and roam about on a train is quite helpful to alleviate a cooped up feeling, and at times, you may be able to step off at interim stops and stand by the train to get a breath of fresh air.

Chicago would be a long trip, but still a neat trip - I've gone from Baltimore to Chicago in both coach and sleeping compartment. The latter is certainly more comfy for an overnight trip, but coach is still passable for a single night's journey.

You have a lot of people on here who are both knowlegable and helpful, so feel free to ask about any questions or concerns you might have (food, restrooms, bridges, etc.) and you're bound to get a number of replies.

Hi Victoria,
Welcome Aboard - this is the perfect spot for your inquiry.

I think your approach to give it a try is quite good. Most Amtrak trains are actually quite clean, though occasionally something can go wrong enroute. Service is hit or miss, but typically is passable. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is On-Time Performance, so patience is a plus.

N. Carolina to DC and back would be a good start - I'm not sure where in Carolina you are but there are a number of trains linking the two areas. Trains are really pretty roomy, especially compared to tour buses (I would also say planes, but you haven't set foot on one.) The ability to get up and roam about on a train is quite helpful to alleviate a cooped up feeling, and at times, you may be able to step off at interim stops and stand by the train to get a breath of fresh air.

Chicago would be a long trip, but still a neat trip - I've gone from Baltimore to Chicago in both coach and sleeping compartment. The latter is certainly more comfy for an overnight trip, but coach is still passable for a single night's journey.

You have a lot of people on here who are both knowlegable and helpful, so feel free to ask about any questions or concerns you might have (food, restrooms, bridges, etc.) and you're bound to get a number of replies.
Thank you so much. Your response is very helpful.

Victoria:

You haven't given us any idea of what it is that has made you terrified of flying. the reason I say this, is I am wondering if there are some factors here that might in some way apply to rail travel and might need to be addressed. A trip to DC from a North Carolina point would seem like a good start. Not too long, and Washington is a busy station that has plenty of people around. I would urge reasonable caution in where you go and where you stay there if you have not traveled much. If you would be willing to give us some information on your age and life experiences that might help us. I don't know whether you would feel better with a private communication with some of us or keeping everything very public.

If it is wrecks you are concerned with, trains don't wreck often, and when they do usually most people survive, in fact a lot of times there are not that many people on the train even injured. This being unlike planes where must accidents can have fairly high casualties.

Do you have a friend or some family member that could travel with you? Many times having someone that you know well can make the trip easier. Choose wisely however, sometimes the wrong companion can make an otherwise good trip miserable.

George

Hi Victoria! :) This forum is a great place to ask questions and get answers. Everyone is so helpful. I too, am afraid to fly, therefore, my husband who loves to fly, is grinning and bearing it on our first Amtrak LD ride from NYC to West Palm Beach, Florida. We booked a bedroom because the ride is 25+ hours. The Silver Meteor we'll be traveling in has a Dining Car and Lounge, so we can always walk around and meet new people. I've traveled alone via Amtrak reserved coach on shorter distances and have no complaints whatsoever. Personally IMHO, I would want a travel companion with me if I were traveling to NYC for the first time. It can be very overwhelming! :eek:

I agree with GrandmaB, I would not want my first trip to NYC to be alone, actually I've been there three times now and I still don't want to go alone! I love New York but it is so busy! Washington DC, Philadelphia PA are both along the same route and are a bit more manageable.

I've ridden many amtrak trains over the years and the people that are telling you "trains are dirty" probably have not been on a train for 10+ years. Trains have changed alot over the years as I have personally witnessed. Most Amtrak cars have been refurbished in the past few years, many in the past few months! From what I have seen they are all pretty clean recently, especially the coaches.

No matter what, I cannot imagine a train being as bad as a greyhound bus both in customer service and cleanliness. (And yes I have ridden on many Greyhounds as well, seeing as I don't like to fly either) so I am very sure you will enjoy train travel!

Welcome Aboard!

Victoria:
You haven't given us any idea of what it is that has made you terrified of flying. the reason I say this, is I am wondering if there are some factors here that might in some way apply to rail travel and might need to be addressed. A trip to DC from a North Carolina point would seem like a good start. Not too long, and Washington is a busy station that has plenty of people around. I would urge reasonable caution in where you go and where you stay there if you have not traveled much. If you would be willing to give us some information on your age and life experiences that might help us. I don't know whether you would feel better with a private communication with some of us or keeping everything very public.

If it is wrecks you are concerned with, trains don't wreck often, and when they do usually most people survive, in fact a lot of times there are not that many people on the train even injured. This being unlike planes where must accidents can have fairly high casualties.

Do you have a friend or some family member that could travel with you? Many times having someone that you know well can make the trip easier. Choose wisely however, sometimes the wrong companion can make an otherwise good trip miserable.

George
I would say that George, are very astute. Are you a psychologist? I used to fly before I had children. I even wanted to be a flight attendant when I was young girl. I guess I changed because of being a mom and worrying about something happening. I tend to be anxious and prone to panic attacks when traveling. My reasoning is just what you stated,plane crashes. Train derailments rare, and even so a better chance of survival. I am ready to challenge this because there are a lot of places I want to go. I do have several good friends that would go with me anywhere I want to go :) . I am blessed with these friends. My husband usually has driven me to Chicago, but I would like to go on my own, as my daughter lives there and would like to have a mom -daughter visit. Too far for me to drive, so that leaves me investigating train travel. I love to read and listen to music so I thought if I got a bedroom car, it might be nice and hopefully relaxing. I know I would enjoy looking at the scenery. I do think some short trips first would be best. Thanks for your response. I look forward to learning more about train travel!

Hi Victoria! :) This forum is a great place to ask questions and get answers. Everyone is so helpful. I too, am afraid to fly, therefore, my husband who loves to fly, is grinning and bearing it on our first Amtrak LD ride from NYC to West Palm Beach, Florida. We booked a bedroom because the ride is 25+ hours. The Silver Meteor we'll be traveling in has a Dining Car and Lounge, so we can always walk around and meet new people. I've traveled alone via Amtrak reserved coach on shorter distances and have no complaints whatsoever. Personally IMHO, I would want a travel companion with me if I were traveling to NYC for the first time. It can be very overwhelming! :eek:
Thanks for your reply. It is nice to hear from someone else afraid to fly. Please post about your 25 hour trip. I am eager to hear how it was. I wouldn't dream of going to NYC alone, as I have never been. I have two friends that said they would take the Amtrak trip that they call Amtrak goes to Broadway or something like that. Do you know about their trips? They have a 10 day trip to New England that sounds fun also. I just don't know much about traveling in general. But, so far everyone here has been very friendly and eager to advise. Have a great time on your trip.

Thanks!

Gad Victoria you sound like me. I have flown in the past but it has been many years (before kids). The plane ride that spooked me the most was coming back from Switzerland they couldn't get the engines going and we were sitting in the plane watching the men with the fire suits on the outside. All the way home I could swear I heard noises. I think I flew once after that. After that, it was car trips. Two years ago we started taking the train. Started out taking the Cardinal (from Indy) to NYC. This was in coach. Toward the end of the trip, the bathrooms started looking icky. The next time we took the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle (went on a Alaskian cruise from there). We stayed in a roommete. This past year we went on the Texas Eagle (Bloomington, IL to upper Texas). We rented a bedroom since there was three of us. We are already booked for next August on the Lakeshore Limited (Chicago to NYC). Anything I can help you with, ask away. Believe me - I ask a lot of questions. Everyone on this board knows that.

Hello,

I travel from Atlanta GA many times so I have travelled the route that you are talking about traveling many times. I have travelled from Atlanta to Chicago a few times both on the Capitol (DC - Chicago) and the Lake Shore Limited (NYC - Chicago). Honestly I find the train to be very relaxing, if you have a sleeping compartment, you should have no problem relaxing and just enjoying the scenery like you said. One of the nice things about traveling on this route is where your layover point is (DC or NYC) you have a few hours to explore the city you are in, even if it's just walking around the train station you are in.

Just so you know, the Lake Shore Limited from NYC- Chicago, is single level equipment. The Capitol from DC-Chicago has the double decker "Superliner" equipment. I am personally in the minority but much prefer the single level equipment, so I prefer the Lake Shore. Either way, if you have a preference, you know which one is which.

I am personally in the minority but much prefer the single level equipment, so I prefer the Lake Shore.
Actually at least when it comes to the sleepers, I much prefer a Viewliner single level sleeper over the bi-level Superliner sleeper. Where the bi-levels hold the advantage IMHO is with regard to the higher capacity dining cars and of course the Sightseer lounge cars with their wonderfully large windows.

Victoria welcome! I hate to fly. My brother was killed in a small airplane crash in 1979 in Alaska. Since then, I fly when I have to and only recently discoverd Amtrak. (March 2006) I didn't really "discover" it then, I just finally got off my *** and booked a trip on a train. Loved every minute of it. On airplanes, I always felt that I needed to wear clean underwear (in case it crashed) :lol: don't have to do that on the train, they don't crash much, and when they crash into things in there way (cars), train always wins. Remember this, "train hits car" is wrong terminology, it should state: "Car hits train". Are you wired for 110 and always going 220? I am, and I have lived such a hectic life and lifestyle that I simply can't wait to get on a train, take my dang watch off my wrist and repeat the mantra, "I'll get there when we get there". I simply find train travel relaxing. I don't care if I'm 1 hour late or 10 hours late. If you decide to take a trip, DO NOT plan something for the second you are to arrive in NYP (New York Penn Station), you will be glancing at your watch over and over and "fretting" about being late or "running behind". Gonna go to a Broadway show? Plan it for the day after you arrive in NYC. Find a good book, bring along your favorite beverage (if its alcohol, it can only be consumed in your bedroom accomodations if you book that, otherwise you will have to purchase alcohol on the train) Keep your expectations of Amtrak modest, they are not trains from the "1940's" with beautiful mahogony wood and "attendents" at your beck and call. You've found the right place Victoria so please fire away with any questions. And if you think you have "stupid" questions, good God gurl...I go back to posts I posted almost 2 years ago and I'm so.....embarrassed, but no one here made fun of my "stupid" questions back then nor will we now.

Al

'Tis no such thing as a stupid question! As you've already discovered, Victoria, there are any number of friendly folk here that are happy to answer any question you might have. I'm getting ready for another Amtrak trip next month. 3 weeks, 4 days, and 5 hours and 15 minutes until my train leaves, in fact (but who's counting??? :lol: ) I've taken a couple of long trips (Chicago to Sparks, NV and Chicago to Los Angeles), and for me being in a train that long is no problem. I just take a good book or two or spend my time just watching the scenery. It doesn't take much to entertain me, so that helps! And even though I'm far from the most social person in the world, I've found just talking with other passengers is very enjoyable.

Enjoy! :)

Anything I can help you with, ask away. Believe me - I ask a lot of questions. Everyone on this board knows that.
Aloha

I got a great :lol: which is why I quoted Gingee, She is good people. Obviously I am not afraid to fly as every trip begins and end with a flight. But every chance I can, I get off the plane to take the train. I find the plane too crowded and only looking at clouds boring. All the AU fans that know these routs will help you enjoy your trip.

Eric.

Hi Victoria,

I started taking Amtrak trips because I was also afraid to fly. After many Amtrak trips, I flew last year to Seattle and found out I was no longer afraid of flying, but oh, they do pack you in like sardines! I hated it.

Lately I usually travel alone because over the years I have found my travel schedule never seems to coincide with vacation time my friends have and hubby hates to travel. What I'm saying is, if you can't find a friend to travel with you, don't let that stop you.

Since you have a daughter in Chicago, you'll have someone to meet you there, so: No Worries. I've traveled the Capitol Ltd. many times from Chicago to Washington, not the same route you're looking at, but close enough. It's a nice ride and you'll meet a lot of interesting people. Generally, you'll find everyone is friendly.

Welcome!

Betty

There are many, many resources avaliable to first time travelers all over the internet, and many even on this forum. To start, you might want to visit the Useful Links section of this forum, which provides links to many great websites.

For travelogues (trip stories/reports), RAILtravelogues.com offers thousands of travelogues for basically every Amtrak route.

For photos of Amtrak trains and/or accomodations, search on Railpictures.net, Flickr, or Web Shots. The Amtrak Photo Archive, Geno Dailey's Amtrak Photo Archive, and Chris Guenzler's Trainweb page are a few of the private travelogue/photo sites that come to mind.

RAILsearch.com is helpful in finding more assorted information; it is powered by Google but only includes rail related material.

To take a look at pictures of the stations you'll be using, surf to USA Rail Guide. Since you're in NC, you would want to take a look at the NC DOT webpage, which includes a wealth of info about NC's Amtrak trains and stations.

Youtube has a huge selection of Amtrak videos. Trainweb's virtual tour site has many virtual tours; however, you must download free ipix to view them.

That's all that I can think of right now, but if any other helpful sites come to mind, I'll post.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one website which it will drop your jaws! It's in Kaemena's website.
Thank you for promoting my content on Anthony's site. You can also visit my sites directly with Amtrak Content or with a more wider view the trains of Europe, Germany, Portugal ( so far). What you will get is an impression on your computer screen as you would be right there in the train. All based on Quicktime Virtual Reality where you can look around 360 degrees and zoom in and out and look even straight up and down. Quicktime ( free download) required and DSL/Broadband recommended.

Victoria, you have received some great advice from many people. My only advice is to "just do it." Go with an open mind, an adventure, a first step of many. I recently traveled round trip from Hartford to Washington, D.C. and the trip was uneventful, on-time and the equipment was clean.

For the record I am 68 and planning a 30 day trip criss-crossing the U.S. and Canada next year. Will there be problems, OH I am sure, will I worry about them, NO.

Do not go with a lot of preconceived ideas or expectations. Things happen, it is unavoidable and a person called Murphy will show up from time to time. Life is not perfect nor should it be.

"Just do it," and be sure to let us know all about your adventure.

I'm throwing myself into travelling on Amtrak for a few hours and I've never been on US trains before and not on a sleeper anywhere.

Never been on a big foreign holiday, never been outside the UK on my own and I've decided to have 2 weeks in the US, NYC to Washington, then Washington to Chicago then Chicago to San Francisco, all on Amtrak.

I've not really got a great deal against airplanes, more the getting there, waiting around, the taking off and landing!

Just liked the idea of going by train and when I found this forum it made me even more interested in doing it.

So I'll be on Amtrak for about 77 hours! Mind you I've booked a bedroom for the WAS-CHI and CHI-EMY bits so should be ok.

I think I'll be loading large amounts of tv programmes, films and music onto my laptop for those journeys!

I would say that George, are very astute. Are you a psychologist?
Victoria:

<_< Don't know whether to consider that a compliment or an insult. :rolleyes:

I am an engineer of the civil, not train driving variety. 62 years old and living in a few different places and a lot of flying has given me quite a bit of experience with people. Also, I at one time said no more flying unless absolutely necessary. (If you had ever been on one of the considered-unsafe-to-haul-cargo planes that the military chartered to haul guys across the pacific 35+ years ago you would know why. They ask you how much you weight when you get on. The final flight and final straw was my return from that lovely southeast asia vacation land when after 8 hours for a one hour refueling stop in Japan where they were seen with the cover off one of the engines, as we were climbing out of a takeoff roll that had to have used up the last foot of runway, the pilot announces, "We will attempt a non-stop flight to Travis Air Force Base, California." That one word was so reassuring: ATTEMPT. What, ATTEMPT? There is a notable lack of large land masses between Japan and the US. I finished my trip home by train.) Have also had a couple of situations involving psychologists that were, shall we say, not overly impressive.

Generally, if you go at your travel with a good attitude, mental flexibility, reasonable caution, and no irrational expectations, things go reasonably well by whatever mode. But then I have been on trains in US, Australia, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, China, Malaysia, and Thailand, and regular scheduled buses - not tourist buses, in Taiwan, Malaysia, and the Philippines, and the airlines based in a few of these. There are some countries' airlines I wll stay off of, though.

George

I'm throwing myself into travelling on Amtrak for a few hours and I've never been on US trains before and not on a sleeper anywhere.Never been on a big foreign holiday, never been outside the UK on my own and I've decided to have 2 weeks in the US, NYC to Washington, then Washington to Chicago then Chicago to San Francisco, all on Amtrak.

I've not really got a great deal against airplanes, more the getting there, waiting around, the taking off and landing!

Just liked the idea of going by train and when I found this forum it made me even more interested in doing it.

So I'll be on Amtrak for about 77 hours! Mind you I've booked a bedroom for the WAS-CHI and CHI-EMY bits so should be ok.

I think I'll be loading large amounts of tv programmes, films and music onto my laptop for those journeys!
wow that's a long time on the train. Please post and let everyone know how it is. Thanks for your response!

I would say that George, are very astute. Are you a psychologist?
Victoria:

<_< Don't know whether to consider that a compliment or an insult. :rolleyes:

I am an engineer of the civil, not train driving variety. 62 years old and living in a few different places and a lot of flying has given me quite a bit of experience with people. Also, I at one time said no more flying unless absolutely necessary. (If you had ever been on one of the considered-unsafe-to-haul-cargo planes that the military chartered to haul guys across the pacific 35+ years ago you would know why. They ask you how much you weight when you get on. The final flight and final straw was my return from that lovely southeast asia vacation land when after 8 hours for a one hour refueling stop in Japan where they were seen with the cover off one of the engines, as we were climbing out of a takeoff roll that had to have used up the last foot of runway, the pilot announces, "We will attempt a non-stop flight to Travis Air Force Base, California." That one word was so reassuring: ATTEMPT. What, ATTEMPT? There is a notable lack of large land masses between Japan and the US. I finished my trip home by train.) Have also had a couple of situations involving psychologists that were, shall we say, not overly impressive.

Generally, if you go at your travel with a good attitude, mental flexibility, reasonable caution, and no irrational expectations, things go reasonably well by whatever mode. But then I have been on trains in US, Australia, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, China, Malaysia, and Thailand, and regular scheduled buses - not tourist buses, in Taiwan, Malaysia, and the Philippines, and the airlines based in a few of these. There are some countries' airlines I wll stay off of, though.

George
George,

Thanks for the reply. My response was very definitely a complement. BTW I see that I left out a word. I guess that is a problem with written communication!

I was just suprised that you picked up on my agoraphobic tendencies, as I don't like to share them unless I have to. I haven't had a bad experience on a plane like you have, it's just that after I had my children I became overly concerned about if something should happen to me etc. I don't feel in control at all when thinking about a plane ride/crash etc. My issues are as a result of "not being in control". I don't really even like to ride with other peole driving, and I can't handle driving long distances, thus my hoping to resolve my issues by train travel. I love to look at nature and read and listen to music, so I think I would enjoy the ride, if things didn't happen to make me anxious. Such as, the sleeper car not being clean enough, just feeling trapped in general knowing I would be on there 24 hours, etc, or some other such occurrence. I am just trying to anticipate everything I can before I attempt this. I think this month I am going to take a trip to Raleigh which is only 1 1/2 hours away. I think that would be a perfect introduction. Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. My daughter is also an engineer of the chemical specialty! Sorry If the reply seemed sarcastic, it truly wasn't.

Sincerely,

Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back