New ticket stock

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
The new Amtrak ticket stock is out and in circulation (and has been for a couple of weeks at BWI Airport station).

Those of you that like to collect ticket stock, well, time is running out to get your "blue" tickets. Those will stop being issued by the end of the year.

The new tickets are white/grey, and slightly thinner than the existing stock.

Do the tickets look the same, other than the paper? Is it the same fields, etc that are printed out from the computer in the same location as on the previous tickets?

and slightly thinner than the existing stock.
It seems that every agency is cutting paper thickness on its distributed materials to save paper costs. For one, NJT's timetables are now printed on thinner stock.

and slightly thinner than the existing stock.
It seems that every agency is cutting paper thickness on its distributed materials to save paper costs. For one, NJT's timetables are now printed on thinner stock.
It also saves in terms of the environment. Less paper used, but not only that, less fuel needed to transport the lighter paper stock, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thinner paper causes less wear and tear on the printers, as well as allowing more tickets to be loaded for the same amount of volume, reducing the number of times ticket printers need to be reloaded (which can be important for QuikTrak machines at unstaffed stations).

The information layout will be the same, so all the printing will still be in the same places.

No, VIA's ticket stock is pretty similar to Amtrak's current stock. That is to say the blue ticket stock that Amtrak's been using now for years. Not only is VIA's similar in thickness, but they use up much more "paper" printing their tickets. For my recent trip on the Canadian, both my mom and I essentially had what would be the equivalent of 3 Amtrak tickets in length if you placed the Amtrak tickets end to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back