New St. Louis station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marc

Is there any word as to when the new St. Louis train station will open? It looks done to me.

Probably will sit there for five years while pointy headed bureaucrats fight over stupid details. Sorry, just have a thing about bureaucrats........ :angry:

The station is finished and open for the bus lines. The Amtrak portion should open in November as thet finish the track and platform work.

It was supposed to open in Feb.

I am wondering if there will be any more free overnight parking? They tore up the olf parking lot.

There is now a new hourly ($1 per hour) parking lot located under the highway but $24/day for parking is pretty steep.

We drove by it a couple days ago.. It is still a miracle for anyone to find the way in the place! I didn't see it from the front, if it has one. But from the rear I was sorely disappointed.. Who ever designed it must have been influenced by 60's motels.. From the rear parking lot and entrance it wanders around is a mild "C" shape that is reminiscent of a low motel.. Very ugly.. Not what I would have hoped after waiting for anything after the amshack that has been in use for 20 years or more.. I think in honesty that portion of the station may be more of the bus terminal than the Amtrak waiting room which is two stories it appears, but its all spread out under the highway and I just don't think the location or look is anywhere near what it should have been.. Heck the town of Champaign on the way to Chicago from me is 100 times better looking and the town is about 100 times smaller.

We drove by it a couple days ago.. It is still a miracle for anyone to find the way in the place! I didn't see it from the front, if it has one. But from the rear I was sorely disappointed.. Who ever designed it must have been influenced by 60's motels.. From the rear parking lot and entrance it wanders around is a mild "C" shape that is reminiscent of a low motel.. Very ugly.. Not what I would have hoped after waiting for anything after the amshack that has been in use for 20 years or more.. I think in honesty that portion of the station may be more of the bus terminal than the Amtrak waiting room which is two stories it appears, but its all spread out under the highway and I just don't think the location or look is anywhere near what it should have been.. Heck the town of Champaign on the way to Chicago from me is 100 times better looking and the town is about 100 times smaller.
There was an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch a few weeks ago that state legislators were told it would open in November. I was just on the St. Louis-Chicago train and the conductor said he'd been told it would be sometime in December!

Yes, the building is already open for Greyhound busses. The Amtrak problem seems to be that they never coordinated building the building with building the platforms and tracks! There is no longer any parking at the station. When the new building is finished there will be a direct connection to the Metrolink, but that isn't the case yet.

I'm traveling again at the end of November and I'd love to know if the train portion of the station will be open by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back