new rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Port Authority bus terminal is at 42nd Street & 8th Avenue. Penn Station is at 33rd Street & 8th Avenue. If the weather isn't bad, it's a short 11 block walk. Otherwise catch a downtown A, C, or E subway train from Port Authority on the lower level of the bus terminal. Ride one stop and follow signs into Penn Station.

I find it odd that you don't have more bus choices, but assuming that you don't want to look for a hotel, you could spend the night in Penn Station. I believe that the general waiting room is open all night and a ticket is required for admittance. Might not be the most comfortable place to wait the night, but it will do in a pinch.

Next, when you join AGR you'll get your number right away. That's all you need to make your reservations and get credit for the trips. Don't worry about the actual card, you won't need that on the train.

Finally, PDF versions of the schedules can be found here. Or when you get to Penn Station, you can pick up a system timetable at the information booth.

I find it odd that you don't have more bus choices, but assuming that you don't want to look for a hotel, you could spend the night in Penn Station. I believe that the general waiting room is open all night and a ticket is required for admittance. Might not be the most comfortable place to wait the night, but it will do in a pinch.
yes their are only 1 bus that leave my area for NYC 09:10 PM

Wed, 12/01 11:05 PM

Wed, 12/01 1H, 55M 0 $21.121 $18.00 $24.00 $29.00

+ SCHEDULE DETAILS- HIDE DETAILS

Location Arrives Departs Layover Carrier Meals/Rest Stop Schedule

(START) - EASTON, PA 09:10 PM GLI 4692

NEWARK, NJ 10:25 PM 10:35 PM :10 GLI 4692

(END) - NEW YORK, NY 11:05 PM (END) GLI 4692

Last edited:
The tour guides you mentioned are the Trails and Rails program, it is seasonal and shuts down for the winter, at least on the Empire Builder.

You are departing on train 141 from NY Penn at 945, correct? I also gather you are starting your day in the greater Allentown area from the bus information you posted. Bieber runs a number of buses to NYC that will arrive in plenty of time to connect to the train. If you can get a ride to their Wescosville stop there are departures at 5/5:20/5:40/6AM that will get you to the Port Authority by 8AM.

Howard,

If you're leaving from Easton, then do NOT use Greyhound. Use Trans-Bridge lines to get to NY. Many more departures each day and I suspect that it will be cheaper too!

The big thing though, no overnight stay in NYC will be needed!

Ps. Trans-bridge arrives at Port Authority too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howard,

If you're leaving from Easton, then do NOT use Greyhound. Use Trans-Bridge lines to get to NY. Many more departures each day and I suspect that it will be cheaper too!

The big thing though, no overnight stay in NYC will be needed!

Ps. Trans-bridge arrives at Port Authority too.
y family lives in pen argyl pa and only willing g to drive me to either the easton bus terminal or the Allentown airport as far as city bus i do not think their is any this far deep in the woods my mother is blind and cant be left alone she like to get into things that will hurt her so my step dad wont drive far i know i sound like an excuse box i am sorry and it is very frustrating for me as i try to make it as easy for them as i can trans bridge and bebier charge the same price it was only 16.00 nothing to bark over i can take a 9 am bus but the train leave at 6 45 am right to Chicago or 9 45 to washing dc then to Chicago i did a lot of homework and thank you for all the information the closer i get to the time to leave the more excited i will get as i have been wanting to take a train for a few years

i just realized that it is only 7 cent a mile from here nyc Seattle wa by train that's less then a cup of coffee and less then feed the children network ask :cool:

Howard,

My mom lives in Saylorsburg, just down the road.

If you can get your stepdad to drive you, just go right down Rt 33 to the William Penn Highway bus stop for Trans-Bridge. He gets off the exit for William Penn Highway, just south of 22 it's the very next exit. The bus stop is right on the exit ramp. He pulls up, drops you off, makes a left, goes under the highway, and gets back on 33 to go home. It couldn't be easier.

If you're going to go via DC, then you catch buses at 6:25 AM, 6:50 AM, & 7:00 AM and still get to Penn station on time for the trains to DC. If you take the Lake Shore, then I would catch the 11:25 AM bus which will get you to Penn in time for the 3:45 PM departure. You could go earlier, but you'd have to kill more time in NY. Your choice.

But again, from Pen Argyl, this is the way to go. It's very easy. This is how my mom comes to NY to meet up with me when we take our train trips and again, she's right down the road in Saylorsburg.

i got a really dum question

i noticed under everyone name they have a train employee title like service attended conductor and so on are you all employees of Amtrak if you your jobs are way cool to et to surf web while at work always wanted to know how he guy driving the train stayed awake they must have the web in the engine care as well

Howard,

My mom lives in Saylorsburg, just down the road.

If you can get your stepdad to drive you, just go right down Rt 33 to the William Penn Highway bus stop for Trans-Bridge. He gets off the exit for William Penn Highway, just south of 22 it's the very next exit. The bus stop is right on the exit ramp. He pulls up, drops you off, makes a left, goes under the highway, and gets back on 33 to go home. It couldn't be easier.

If you're going to go via DC, then you catch buses at 6:25 AM, 6:50 AM, & 7:00 AM and still get to Penn station on time for the trains to DC. If you take the Lake Shore, then I would catch the 11:25 AM bus which will get you to Penn in time for the 3:45 PM departure. You could go earlier, but you'd have to kill more time in NY. Your choice.

But again, from Pen Argyl, this is the way to go. It's very easy. This is how my mom comes to NY to meet up with me when we take our train trips and again, she's right down the road in Saylorsburg.

cool thank you

Howard,

If you click here, you'll be taken to a Bing Map showing the exit off of Rt 33 at William Penn Highway. He'd be driving south on 33 towards the bottom of the map. As you come down the exit ramp you can see the big parking lot to the left. That's the bus stop. He doesn't even really have to pull into the parking lot, he could just stop in front of the small bus shelter and drop you off.

Then again he makes a left onto William Penn @ the light, goes under the highway, makes another left to get back on 33 north to go home. Probably would take an hour at most round trip. And definately closer than either the Allentown airport or the Easton Bus station.

i noticed under everyone name they have a train employee title like service attended conductor and so on are you all employees of Amtrak if you your jobs are way cool to et to surf web while at work always wanted to know how he guy driving the train stayed awake they must have the web in the engine care as well
No, those are honorary titles based upon how many posts someone has made. While there are a few posters here who actually do work for Amtrak, most of us do not work for Amtrak. As a guest, you don't get those titles, you'd have to join up first before you would see those titles next to your name.

Ps. The bus driver will sell you a ticket on the bus, as there is no place to buy a ticket at William Penn. I'm not sure though if you need exact change or not, so try to be prepared with the exact fare.

If you're returning the same way, then buy your return ticket at the bus station in NY at a New Jersey Transit ticket window. They sell Trans-Bridge tickets. The driver will not take cash on the return from the Port Authority bus terminal.

No, those are honorary titles based upon how many posts someone has made. While there are a few posters here who actually do work for Amtrak, most of us do not work for Amtrak. As a guest, you don't get those titles, you'd have to join up first before you would see those titles next to your name.
i did join before my first post but it wont let me sign in i even got the email from someone in admin

I can't understand a word he is saying. He can't catch a bus to meet his train because his dad won't drive him because of his blind mother, but he can catch a bus if he takes greyhound cause his dad will drive him. He then has to stay at Penn station?

I am so confused.

i did join before my first post but it wont let me sign in i even got the email from someone in admin
Yes, your account was approved by me yesterday.

You set your display name, the name that shows to the left of your posts to Howard. However, you set your login name to hwst4. You must use hwst4 with your password to login. If you're still having problems, then I can reset your password. But first try using hwst4 with the password you selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't understand a word he is saying. He can't catch a bus to meet his train because his dad won't drive him because of his blind mother, but he can catch a bus if he takes greyhound cause his dad will drive him. He then has to stay at Penn station?

I am so confused.
my dad said to me he will only drive me to the bus station in easton pa or to the airport in Allentown he will not drive me to nyc or to Phil airport or west a place in wescoseville to catch a briber bus to nyc which offer more time slots for buses that arrive in nyc closer to the time the train leave to go to Seattle wa greyhound only offers one time to catch a bus to nyc and it leave at 9 45 pm and arrive in nyc at 11 45 pm and the train dose not leave nyc until 6 45 am ot 9 45 am the next day so i am sitting in penn station until then

Great, glad you're in! :)

So again, show that map to your stepdad and look at taking one of those Trans-Bridge buses. It will be better for him, easy-off the highway and easy-on, and better for you since you won't have to spend the night sitting in a train station.

He's got to drive down Rt 33 anyhow to reach Easton, might as well take the easier choice and drop you at William Penn Highway.

i promises i will blog on here about my whole trip on the train and add pictures if i can i love to chat with tons of people and make new friends

Howard, we will all look forward to hearing about your trip. I'm excited for you. Since you seem like an interesting and friendly sort of person, I'm sure you will meet many great people and make new friends.

Enjoy your trip! Have fun!!

I am so confused.
my dad said to me he will only drive me to the bus station in easton pa or to the airport in Allentown he will not drive me to nyc or to Phil airport or west a place in wescoseville to catch a briber bus to nyc which offer more time slots for buses that arrive in nyc closer to the time the train leave to go to Seattle wa greyhound only offers one time to catch a bus to nyc and it leave at 9 45 pm and arrive in nyc at 11 45 pm and the train dose not leave nyc until 6 45 am ot 9 45 am the next day so i am sitting in penn station until then
Ahhh ok. Is a briber bus an east coast thing?

Howard,

I used to live in Wind Gap. It is a quick trip down Rte 33 to the Park and Ride at William Penn Highway. Trans-Bridge has a good bus schedule into New York from there.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back