new menus posted, with calorie counts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the new menus mean they are cutting out the lamb shank or did I miss it on the many menus? The lamb shank is one of my favorite meals on the LD trains.

Update: I tried the specialty sandwich (the fancy grilled cheese) again today and it was gross. This time, the cheese was not thoroughly melted. The last time, the cheese was gooey and dripping, and that apparently makes all the difference in the world for taste. Moral of the story: if you order this, and it's not ready to drip out, send it back for more "griddling".

The chef on this train appears to undercook everything we've ordered so far. Annoying in the case of the sandwich and the kids' pizzas, but it worked to my advantage when I ordered the "slamon fillet", since I like my salmon a little on the rare side anyway. Now, if only he could make a rare burger...

I have also found many misspellings in the route guides. Lack of attention to detail is a hallmark of Amtrak.
One of the many things I do at work is proofread huge government reports. Sometimes we even get to do a bit of writing. I was all excited to get to pen a caption for a picture, so I wrote up my caption, looked it over, and was pleased. It went through three review cycles. At least 22 people read that caption at some point during the review and approval process. There was a typo in it. Probably from the very beginning. And to make things worse, somewhere around the first review cycle, it was rewritten in the first place (but a different sentence, not the one that had the typo).

I'm guessing they did that in InDesign, which doesn't have spellcheck turned on by default (seriously!?). It gets harder to notice certain mistakes after you missed them the first time too. Especially that kind of mistake. Your brain doesn't really care what order the letters are in, just as long as there's no more or no less.

Anyhow, I'm a bit disappointed that my Capitol Limited doesn't seem to have changed. Oh well. I generally stick to a sandwich from the cafe. I don't care about the calories there. I know the label should just have a skull and cross bones on it and some sort of warning about what the lethal dose of salt is.

Update: I tried the specialty sandwich (the fancy grilled cheese) again today and it was gross. This time, the cheese was not thoroughly melted. The last time, the cheese was gooey and dripping, and that apparently makes all the difference in the world for taste. Moral of the story: if you order this, and it's not ready to drip out, send it back for more "griddling".
The chef on this train appears to undercook everything we've ordered so far. Annoying in the case of the sandwich and the kids' pizzas, but it worked to my advantage when I ordered the "slamon fillet", since I like my salmon a little on the rare side anyway. Now, if only he could make a rare burger...
afaik, the specialty sandwiches, with the exception of the burger, are pre-made. the cold sandwiches can be ok but generally not the reheated offerings

I will be seven days in sleepers, that's a lot of Amtrak food. Still looking forward to the cheesecake at least once!

When I had the specialty grilled cheese on the Coast Starlight it was one of the best Sandwiches I've ever had in my life. Same sandwich on the Empire Builder left a lot to be desired. So yes... Cook time is very important on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently enjoyed the most fantastic "Specialty Sandwich" on Amtrak's Silver Meteor out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It's worth every calorie and every bit of cholesterol - at least once. You'll dream of it later on and enjoy the dream. My best to the chef.

I assume railroad french toast is just french toast but with a more evocative name?
Railroad French Toast is a name meant to evoke old railroads (especially the Santa Fe) which had special french toast recipes on long distance trains which were highly praised.

That said, I think Amtrak french toast tends to be pretty good, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back