new menus posted, with calorie counts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeeBuyFly

I don't know if this has been discussed. There are revised PDF menus online (May 2013) for the Zephyr (maybe other trains too). Some effort has been made to make the food sound interesting, and a different brand of ice cream has been introduced. All items have calorie counts. Wow, they are high.

I assume railroad french toast is just french toast but with a more evocative name?

Now why'd they have to go and do a thing like that? I don't care about the meals, I mean I have to eat, but why the desserts? Now I have to find a new way to justify that NY Cheesecake! I've always followed the rule that if desserts don't have the calories listed they have no calories. :(

Now why'd they have to go and do a thing like that? I don't care about the meals, I mean I have to eat, but why the desserts? Now I have to find a new way to justify that NY Cheesecake! I've always followed the rule that if desserts don't have the calories listed they have no calories. :(
FACT: If you cut it down the middle, the calories leak out!

FACT: If you cut it down the middle, the calories leak out!
Good to know, thanks for the save! Just as long as my husband doesn't think I cut it down the middle to share, that could end in divorce. :giggle: But seriously, it is nice to at least have a ball park figure calorie wise. I think it's a good call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheese Cake has Calories? :eek: Who could have known??? :giggle:

and a different brand of ice cream has been introduced.
WHAT????

I love Haagen Dazs! Getting their ice cream for dessert was my favorite part of the meal! Grrrr....

Okay, initial panic is over, and the new menu actually looks pretty good. It now has a better selection of lighter fare at lunch (soup and salad, etc.), so that's good. The new fancy grilled cheese sounds good too. It doesn't look like Dinner has changed much, if at all.

However, I'm still mad about the ice cream.

I don't know if this has been discussed. There are revised PDF menus online (May 2013) for the Zephyr (maybe other trains too). Some effort has been made to make the food sound interesting, and a different brand of ice cream has been introduced. All items have calorie counts. Wow, they are high.

I assume railroad french toast is just french toast but with a more evocative name?
IT's funny here in California if a restaurant has I think 10 or more outlets in the state, they are required to post the count. I walked into Starbucks after some time away and explained how high their prices were, then I realized I was looking at the calorie counts.

Trivia: Disneyland, while they have over 10 restaurants in the park is exempt from this. The fine print in the law is all the menus must be identical. Since each food outlet has a unique name, ex. lets say Old Fashioned Fried Chicken in on outlet and Country Style Fried Chicken in another, they are no longer identical.

Back on track: Sounds like Railroad French Toast is back YEAH!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the notice.

Overall it would seem to be an genuine improvement over previous menus, both in regard to caloric transparency and preparation quality, at least so long as the meals are provided in a manner consistent with their descriptions. Something worth looking forward to trying in any case.

It's the same as any other generic French toast, except that it's made weeks or months ahead of time. The saving grace of the French toast option is that it seems to survive the freezing, storing, and reheating process relatively well. Same thing for the sausage patties.

And they now have Bratwurst on the CZ lunch menu! YUM! Now someone needs to report if it is GOOD Bratwurst :p
Most restaurants don't make their own bratwurst. What makes dishes like bratwurst better or worse at most restaurants is the way they're cooked on the grill and how the other fixings and sides complement them. I'd be happy if Aramark started cooking their hamburgers on board instead of reheating those precooked frozen hockey pucks. I noticed that the new menus refer to the hamburgers as being "grilled" although I thought Amtrak didn't use any grills on board. Maybe they're simply referring to how the frozen hockey pucks are cooked before being frozen?

WHAT???? I love Haagen Dazs! Getting their ice cream for dessert was my favorite part of the meal! Grrrr....
Those tiny kid-sized Häagen-Dazs cups only cost $0.99. A quick trip to the supermarket for ice cream cups and dry ice before you leave should be able to solve this problem. At first glance it would appear the new selection may be of similar or higher quality.

All items have calorie counts. Wow, they are high.
I think you will find that they are no higher than any other restaurant you go to, if not a slight bit lower.
I think you will find that you have no idea where or what the rest of us eat.

It's the same as any other French toast, except that it's made weeks or months ahead of time and frozen.
Yup.

Of course the French Toast found at Perkins, IHOP, Denny's, Shoney's and any other breakfast joint is made fresh right?

Now to be fair... Lou Mitchell's does make french toast right, even baking their own bread. I think the Amtrak French Toast is pretty decent, but if you want something made fresh order the eggs, pancakes when available, or an omelette.

I'd love some clarification of this. If there are no grills on board the LD trains, the steaks are just microwaved? If there are grills, what is grilled and what isn't?

I'd be happy if Aramark started cooking their hamburgers on board instead of reheating those precooked frozen hockey pucks. I noticed that the new menus refer to the hamburgers as being "grilled" although I thought Amtrak didn't use any grills on board. Maybe they're simply referring to how the frozen hockey pucks are cooked before being frozen?

It's the same as any other French toast, except that it's made weeks or months ahead of time and frozen.
Yup. Of course the French Toast found at Perkins, IHOP, Denny's, Shoney's and any other breakfast joint is made fresh right?
I don't reguarly patronize IHOP, Denny's, or Shoney's and I don't know what Perkins is so I honestly couldn't say with any accuracy. The generic chain diner I visit regularly is Jim's. Their $4.99 plate of French toast is still made the same way it was when I was a kid. They don't bake their own bread, which I certainly wouldn't expect from Amtrak either, but if you sit near the kitchen you can watch them mix the eggs and dip the bread and throw it on the griddle before serving. Does that really sound like an unreasonable expectation for a generic French toast plate costing nearly twice as much on Amtrak?

Link to Jim's menu: http://www.jimsrestaurants.com/assets/file/jims_menu.pdf

Now to be fair... Lou Mitchell's does make french toast right, even baking their own bread. I think the Amtrak French Toast is pretty decent, but if you want something made fresh order the eggs, pancakes when available, or an omelette.
The Amtrak French Toast isn't bad per se, it's just not freshly prepared. When was the last time you visited a restaurant that prepared fresh eggs but only if you ordered them scrambled? Or put frozen vegitables in their watery omelets?

I'd love some clarification of this. If there are no grills on board the LD trains, the steaks are just microwaved? If there are grills, what is grilled and what isn't?
I believe the steaks are cooked in a convection oven. To the best of my understanding that's how everything is cooked or heated at this point. Supposedly they have a griddle on board as well but I'm not sure they actually use it for anything. Any grill marks you see on your food presumably came from a commissary kitchen further up the chain.

I am not sure if they have a "grill", but I think maybe just a griddle. And the steaks are cooked to order on it.

Yup. Of course the French Toast found at Perkins, IHOP, Denny's, Shoney's and any other breakfast joint is made fresh right?
I don't reguarly patronize IHOP, Denny's, or Shoney's and I don't know what Perkins is so I honestly couldn't say with any accuracy. The generic chain diner I visit regularly is Jim's. Their $4.99 plate of French toast is still made the same way it was when I was a kid. They don't bake their own bread, which I certainly wouldn't expect from Amtrak either, but if you sit near the kitchen you can watch them mix the eggs and dip the bread and throw it on the griddle before serving. Does that really sound like an unreasonable expectation for a generic French toast plate costing nearly twice as much on Amtrak?

Link to Jim's menu: http://www.jimsrestaurants.com/assets/file/jims_menu.pdf
Perkins' is a little bit nicer Denny's (and a bit more expensive.) I see a lot of them here in Minnesota...I believe the headquarters are here.

Many chain restaurants use pre-prepared food and simply microwave or convection oven heat it on site. The idea is that it ensures more consistency, so that no matter which Denny's you go to the quality is the same. It does bring the level of quality down compared to good cooks, but when you have a nationwide chain it's easier to just lower the level of quality somewhat to help guarantee that the food is usually decent, if not anything to write home about.

I think that's what Amtrak is aiming for. I don't think that they really care if people rave about their food or not; they just want to make sure people aren't complaining that the food is horrible or nasty. Having pre-prepared food helps that.

I believe the steaks are cooked in a convection oven. To the best of my understanding that's how everything is cooked or heated at this point. Supposedly they have a griddle on board as well but I'm not sure they actually use it for anything. Any grill marks you see on your food presumably came from a commissary kitchen further up the chain.
Only for a year or so right after SDS first came out were the steaks done in a convection oven. Then Amtrak went back to cooking them to order on the grill. The eggs & pancakes are also cooked fresh on the grill. The better chefs start the reheating process for the French Toast in the convection oven and then toss it on the grill to finish the process. The bad cooks don't. And you can tell the difference!

But except for the Cardinal, which only has the Diner Light car with no grill, the grills are being used on all other Amtrak LD trains.

WHAT???? I love Haagen Dazs! Getting their ice cream for dessert was my favorite part of the meal! Grrrr....
Those tiny kid-sized Häagen-Dazs cups only cost $0.99. A quick trip to the supermarket for ice cream cups and dry ice before you leave should be able to solve this problem. At first glance it would appear the new selection may be of similar or higher quality.
I agree with you that Haagen-Dazs cups are available at the supermarket - my freezer will attest to that!

As for the quality - I would claim that you can tell the quality of a product by reading its ingredients label. The more fillers and preservatives it has, the lower the quality.

Ciao Bella Tahitian Vanilla Gelato: "milk, cream, organic cane sugar, nonfat dry milk, tapioca syrup, vanilla extract, guar gum, Locust Bean Gum, Carageenan, Vanilla Bean specs."

Haagen-Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream: "cream, skim milk, sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract."

I might have to try the Chocolate Fudge Brownie Cake instead. Has anyone tried that before?

Devils Advocate...

The reasons eggs are only scrambled is because there is only one cook and it simplifies the process. When was the last time you were at a restaurant with a kitchen the size of Amtraks, that only had one cook, yet had to feed 50 or so passengers a seating on a rocking car.

I do not think amtrak dining cars are perfect... I want to see real flowers, china customized to each route, all cars with real china and glassware, I want to see all dining car crew members in suits and no TSA blue in site. Ha. And yes i would love it if everything were cooked to order using fresh locally sourced ingredients. (Locally sourced for each specific route).

But this is the real world, and I'm counting my blessings cause freshly made scrambled eggs is 10 times better than the Bob Evans Scramble in my book.

if anyone doesn't already have it here is the site with the menus and nutrition info:http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/
Ooh, it has the calories and sodium and everything... I love you so much right now. THANK YOU. I've never been sure how to enter Amtrak food into SparkPeople, so I've always had to wing it based on the ingredients, estimated weight, etc.

And, after checking the lists, I overestimated on every single thing. Yay! I'd rather overestimate than underestimate. :)

They got rid of that Chocolate Triple-Layer Crunch Monstrosity we split on the SWC last year. I was really looking forward to checking the calorie count on that thing. It was a monster.

The reasons eggs are only scrambled is because there is only one cook and it simplifies the process. When was the last time you were at a restaurant with a kitchen the size of Amtraks, that only had one cook, yet had to feed 50 or so passengers a seating on a rocking car.
If I visit a stationary restaurant that handles 150+ people with two or three cooks on duty is it really that different? Are the cooks and/or food being violently tossed around by the movement of the train? If I ask for a single egg over easy at six in the morning am I competing with the orders of forty nine ghosts? I'm not sure this is as convincing of an explanation to me as it is to you.

I do not think amtrak dining cars are perfect... I want to see real flowers, china customized to each route, all cars with real china and glassware, I want to see all dining car crew members in suits and no TSA blue in site. Ha. And yes i would love it if everything were cooked to order using fresh locally sourced ingredients. (Locally sourced for each specific route).
I thought we were comparing Amtrak to a generic diner. My local Jim's doesn't have fresh flowers or "china" or glassware or suits or locally sourced anything. What it does have is freshly prepared French toast, eggs cooked however you want, and omelets made with fresh vegetables instead of frozen. It also has two or sometimes three cooks covering up to 150 guests. If I were comparing Amtrak to a Ritz-Carlton meal I could see why folks would think I was being unfair, but we're talking about a generic chain diner here. The kind that a well trained chef should be able to work circles around.

if anyone doesn't already have it here is the site with the menus and nutrition info:http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/
As the OP. I should say that I was not looking at this legal-disclosure web page, but at the Amtrak page that provides PDF copies of the full dining car menus:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241305537990

Regarding grilling, it's interesting that Amtrak regulars have so many different versions of how food is cooked on board the LD trains. Are passengers ever allowed downstairs to look for themselves? Probably not.

Regarding grilling, it's interesting that Amtrak regulars have so many different versions of how food is cooked on board the LD trains. Are passengers ever allowed downstairs to look for themselves? Probably not.
In this case I have no specific reason to doubt Alan, at least with regard to the steaks.

Although he's almost certainly referring to a griddle rather than a grill.

Keep in mind that Amtrak itself has used many different methods over the years.

At one point Amtrak was cooking and serving meals in a manner similar to the trains it replaced.

Over time Amtrak began to make many changes and even to reverse itself all over again in some cases.

So it's not that surprising that information gathered is both varied and contradictory over time.

I too would heartily welcome a visit to an active Superliner kitchen if I were ever offered one.

It would be great to clarify and dispel some of the nagging questions I have about what exactly is going on down there and why.

I thought we were comparing Amtrak to a generic diner. My local Jim's doesn't have fresh flowers or "china" or glassware or suits or locally sourced anything. What it does have is freshly prepared French toast, eggs cooked however you want, and omelets made with fresh vegetables instead of frozen. It also has two or sometimes three cooks covering up to 150 guests. If I were comparing Amtrak to a Ritz-Carlton meal I could see why folks would think I was being unfair, but we're talking about a generic chain diner here. The kind that a well trained chef should be able to work circles around.
Does your local Jim's rock and roll at 90 mph on rough track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back