New AGR policy on routing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some folks stalker calling the reservations line is no bother, maybe it's even fun some, but for me it's very annoying and not something I enjoy in the slightest. I would prefer that AGR's website be updated so that it can book more than non-connecting coach tickets. Most of the bookings I want to make the website is completely helpless to create. If they can fix the website they can let go of their reservations crew for all I care. Even if the website booking rules are much more restrictive at least I'll never have to plead my case to another faceless cube jockey.
I disagree. The thing I find most annoying about airline frequent-flyer programs is the capacity controls. I much prefer AGR, where I know that I can get a sleeper as long as it's not a black-out date, and where I might be able to spend fewer points than I'd expected, or have a more interesting itinerary. Clearly I have a much greater fondness for chatting up agents than you, which is, of course, a personal preference.

I will agree that the Web site is useless. Since almost all of my AGR redemptions are in sleepers, I was amazed when I realized that I could actually book my Kansas City - St. Louis trip on line.

ETA: I also am fortunate that I can plan my travel long in advance, so it's easier to deal with AGR's peculiarities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Ispolkolm. With AGR, you know how many points your trip will be, no matter when you book it - as long as a seat or room is available. With the airlines, once the "low mile award seats" (and of course nobody knows that number) are gone, you can only get the "higher mile award seats"!

A good example of this is what my BlL had happen to him. He flew from the US to Europe, at a coach award level of 50,000 miles each way. He later had to change dates, and on that later date the 50,000 mile coach seats on the return flights were sold out. So he would have to pay 100,000 miles to fly coach on the return! Then he checked First Class, and the "fare" was only 80,000 miles! (Low mile award seats.) Guess which one he picked for his return? :blush:

How is an airline frequent flyer program less confusing than AGR when a coach seat cost 20,000 miles MORE than a First Class seat? :blush: On one AGR trip a few years ago, I got the last room on 2 of the 4 trains I took from coast to coast. And my award was the same amount as if I had booked it 10 months prior!

I'll take AGR any day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention, when you call in an an agent incorrectly says "No.", it's a lot easier to refer to "Paragraph A-4.1.3 of Policy Memo 27" than it is to say "AGR_Insider over on Flyertalk told me that it was OK the last time I booked that trip".
That's easily solved, as 1) Insider can send out an update to all agents; 2) could simply take down your info and then prep an agent with the correct answers and have them call you; 3) simply tell you to tell any agent to call the head of AGR if they have any questions.

I don't think I could pull that off, either. Especially with my southern accent. I can imagine how it would go over.

This inconsistency and lack of rules drives me crazy(er)!

I like the idea of booking from Mendota. Great idea!

Regarding AGR: It's a lot better than it was when it was in Canada. I was booked from WPB to BOS and wanted to change my booking to go from MIA to BOS, same train, same day. Well without telling me, the agent booked it on the next day, and said there was nothing available for my day. I told her just to give my old res back and she said that was not allowed. I'd have to take the later train. I ended up having to take the later train even though there were plenty of rooms available. Grrr!

I remember a few years ago when AGR was in Canada, the AGR agent told me that "Amtrak now has these NEW sleepers with only roomettes on the upper level"!

You may have heard of these cars before. They're called trans-dorms! :wacko:

I wonder how often that agent rode on Superliners or even on Amtrak in the last 25 years? :blush:

I wonder how often that agent rode on Superliners or even on Amtrak in the last 25 years?
I've asked a few agents who didn't seem to mind admitting they don't ride Amtrak often. From what I can deduce it would appear that from their perspective we're the odd ones for going out of our way to ride a train all over the place. I'm not sure they're specifically against us doing that, but neither do they seem to consider it normal and legitimate use of our points.

Back