Never mind on the train being full.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Gingee

Gad these Amtrak people are getting me confused. I called over the weekend to get a price on Chicago to Seattle round trip for three people in a bedroom and she gave me a price of $1353. She said the train was full though. Then I called just now and said there was openings and that the price for us is now $3100 for us. Somebody doesn't know what they are talking about. This is for next June. Is there a better time to book a train?

Have you tried pricing on Amtrak's website? I just put 6/1/2006 in and got $3200 (about) roundtrip for two adults and one child. That's without any discounts. The website gives good prices. Try it and see what you get with discounts, etc.

Hi again, I just did a quick search for next july and it shows fares of $1233 for 3 adults in a first class sleeper from chicago to seattle and return is double that. Ed.

B)

MrFSS said:
Have you tried pricing on Amtrak's website? I just put 6/1/2006 in and got $3200 (about) roundtrip for two adults and one child. That's without any discounts. The website gives good prices. Try it and see what you get with discounts, etc.
Hi, that is better than what I got with a family bedroom with 2 adults.one child for 6-1-06, that price was $1304.50 each way. Still not bad.

Amtrak web site. No discounts.

Wow those prices are crazy. I am getting a better price on a seven nights cruise.

Guest_Gingee said:
Wow those prices are crazy.  I am getting a better price on a seven nights cruise.
It all depends on when you book, and how popular a date is. Amtrak uses a price scale where the price goes up as availability goes down. I figure that makes sense, but I was shocked to see just how wide that price range was.

I booked in March for an October trip on the Empire Builder from MSP to SEA. The coach fares were $244 each, plus then we added one deluxe room for the two of us adults, and it was only $260 each way for the room.

Now I see the coach fare has gone up to $250, and the deluxe room price is $1030 each way. That makes the total trip, including NARP discount a whopping $1500 higher now than what I paid in March! That is a *huge* difference in price just for booking early and getting a room before anyone else!

And just to make sure they didn't just change the whole price structure, I picked a date for next February, and got $280 one way for the deluxe room from MSP to SEA.

Guest_Gingee said:
Wow those prices are crazy. I am getting a better price on a seven nights cruise.
And yet there are those in Congress, along with other critics, who complain that Amtrak isn't making a profit. :eek:

It should also be noted that Amtrak recently (today, IIRC) raised the Empire Builder's fares a bit, to coincide with the introduction of the new premium service. The higher fares apply to peak demand periods, including the summer and holidays. I think the lower set of fares might still apply for off-peak travel.

My favourite airline lets me see airfares for a period of 28 days at a glance, wouldn't it be nice to be able to see which dates are cheaper on the amtrak website.

I find roomettes offer the best value of comfort + food for cost..although coach class seems phenominal value for long distances. At least most of you dont have to pay $550 to fly to America before you start riding on Amtrak!

Ed B)

caravanman said:
My favourite airline lets me see airfares for a period of 28 days at a glance, wouldn't it be nice to be able to see which dates are cheaper on the amtrak website.I find roomettes offer the best value of comfort + food for cost..although coach class seems phenominal value for long distances. At least most of you dont have to pay $550 to fly to America before you start riding on Amtrak!

Ed  B)
You can ride Amtrak anytime you want in the UK. Just hop on board one of the Amtrak (UK) package delivery lorries. :D

http://www.amtrak.co.uk/

Geesh. I did it wrong again. I am looking for train travel in the summer (can't get away from that time period). My husband says we might have to cancel our cruise to Alaska or FLY!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if there is a better time to try to book it?

Back