Need trip planning input please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I have posted, but we are considering doing a last minute trip. Me, my 6 year old son and husband. As I have been off the boards for a while I am not up to speed on any recent issues or concerns or changes about Amtrak (trying to get caught up quickly!)

Here is what we are planning:

San Diego to Portland - we had wanted to go all the way to SEA but the only way we could get a family bedroom on the EB is if we originate in PDX.

3 nights in Portland

Portland to Chicago

2 nights in CHI

Fly home to San Diego (got an awesome $99 rate on SW)

Any thoughts, concerns, issues to consider before I book? I gotta commit to this one quick as we are leaving in a couple of weeks!!!

Thanks! C.J.

If you really want to go to Seattle instead of Portland, then by all means, do so. Then, after your three (or however many) nights in Seattle, take a train back down to Portland (either the Cascades service, or the Coast Starlight), and catch the Empire Builder from there.

Other than that, you seem to have it all figured out. You know best what you're looking for in the trip. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

rmadisonwi said:
If you really want to go to Seattle instead of Portland, then by all means, do so. Then, after your three (or however many) nights in Seattle, take a train back down to Portland (either the Cascades service, or the Coast Starlight), and catch the Empire Builder from there.
Gosh I had not even thought of that idea! Well after researching PDX a bit I am kinda excited about staying there. We found a decent hotel that we can use our Starwood frequent guest points for and stay free and it's right on the light rail system so it seems like we could enjoying checking out Portland very easily (and cheaply). Portland seems like a pretty cool city actually.

I booked it this morning - I have not paid my deposit yet but we are all set to do so.

My wife and I did the EB trip and stayed in Portland. Here are pictures if you are interested. It rained most of the time we were there, though. Hope the weather is better for you.

I'll be taking the trip in two weeks. I'm going from Chico, CA to Seattle, stay overnight, and then the EB to Chicago. Return will be Chicago to Portland then the same day CS to Chico.

My only concern is that the CS is always very late and I could arrive in Seattle in the wee hours of the morning, possibly ruining any sightseeing.

BTW: You can always switch to coach at Portland since it is only a few more hours to Seattle. (Assuming coach in available). You should spend at least a day in Seattle as long as you are in the area.

Staying in Portland is what I did last fall. It was very enjoyable staying. The public transportation in Portland is very good. You'll have to ride on bus from Portland Union Station to downtown area. Downtown area is the "magnet" of light rails. Also the downtown in Portland is very clean than Seattle.

Must "see" in Portland- rose garden, Japanese gardens, under the bridge on the weekends to see the craft displays, musuem with IMAX screen (requires some walking). Even the IMAX screen offers the movie on weekend nights such as Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

You'll have to explore on websites for Portland area and its attraction.

The Spanish Talgo-equipped, tilting Amtrak Cascades trains that operate between Portland and Seattle are an attraction in themselves. If you have the time and are up for an adventure, you could always consider a day trip from Portland to Seattle in the morning, sightsee and take a narrated tour during the day, and then return to Portland on a Cascades train in the evening. Its just another option that's out there. :)

jccollins said:
The Talgo-equipped Spanish-tilting Amtrak Cascades trains
I'd like to note that we do not have any "Spanish-tilting" trains.

What we do have are Spanish (as in from Spain) Talgo-equiped, tilting trains. B)

Thank you sechs. B) Thats what happens when my fingers get going faster than my brain. It has been corrected.

Bill Haithcoat said:
Radsmom, glad to see you back on the forum. We are always here.
Hey thanks Bill - it's good to be back and have a trip in the works! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back