Need Input on the Vermonter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow winter days have got me thinking I need to get out of Texas and take a long train ride. Having done the west coast I have taken a serious look at going north to Vermont. Would like to hear your comments and experiences you have had on this train. Needless to say just looking at my choices of which trains to take to get there is half the fun.

Having taken the Vermonter numerous times, southbound is by far the most scenic (especially in the fall and winter!) because it runs through Vermont during the daylight hours. Depending on the season, you might get through part of VT during the daylight hours on the northbound run, but certainly not this time of year. I've never had a bad experience on the Vermonter, the conductors have always been fantastic even when we're delayed (one time was when we struck a very large tree on the tracks at full speed- 79mph- which delayed us about 3 hours). The train now runs quite a bit faster through VT with New England Central RR recently redoing the track through the length of the state, allowing nearly an hour to be shaved off the schedule if I'm not mistaken. w

I always get on in Waterbury (WAB) since it's the closest stop to where I live, and personally I think it's one of the nicest stations in the state since it was recently renovated by Green Mountain Coffee (which has it's corporate offices and their main roasting facility right next door, and their visitor center inside 2/3rds of the train station). So if you're at all into coffee, definitely check out their cafe!

If you're looking for two routes to knock off your list, in the summer it's possible to take the Adirondack northbound to Port Kent, NY (PRK), and take the Lake Champlain ferry over to Burlington. From there you could get on the southbound Vermonter at Essex Junction (ESX), which is about 15 minutes from Downtown Burlington and accessible by bus. Also, sometime in the next few years the Ethan Allen Express will be extended northward to Burlington from it's current terminus of Rutland, once track improvements are made.

Also, if you're looking to explore multiple towns along the Vermonter route, you can travel on the Vermonter between any two stations in VT for $12 (or less if the standard fare is less than that). You can go all the way from St. Albans to Brattleboro, or even just Essex to Montpelier for the same fare. More info is available here

Also, if you're looking to explore multiple towns along the Vermonter route, you can travel on the Vermonter between any two stations in VT for $12 (or less if the standard fare is less than that). You can go all the way from St. Albans to Brattleboro, or even just Essex to Montpelier for the same fare. More info is available here
Loophole: SAB to BRA for $12 plus BRA to SPG for $21 (total $33), compared to SAB to SPG for $54.

I really should spring for BC sometime- I've never done it on the Vermonter. The one time I did it on a Regional it didn't seem all that great, just a little more legroom and free drinks, but the Vermonter is different with 2x1 seating in BC.

If you're looking for two routes to knock off your list, in the summer it's possible to take the Adirondack northbound to Port Kent, NY (PRK), and take the Lake Champlain ferry over to Burlington. From there you could get on the southbound Vermonter at Essex Junction (ESX), which is about 15 minutes from Downtown Burlington and accessible by bus. Also, sometime in the next few years the Ethan Allen Express will be extended northward to Burlington from it's current terminus of Rutland, once track improvements are made.
I second this if time permits. I did it at the end of September - just before the Port Kent to Burlington ferry stopped running for the season. At this time the Great Dome car was on the Adirondack north of Albany. Too bad this trip is impossible in mid October when the leaves are getting close to peak. Unfortunately The ferry stops at the end of September.

Having taken the Vermonter numerous times, southbound is by far the most scenic (especially in the fall and winter!) because it runs through Vermont during the daylight hours. Depending on the season, you might get through part of VT during the daylight hours on the northbound run, but certainly not this time of year.
The Vermonter southbound tip is also right on!

The Vermonter is a nice ride! I suggest going BC as the train runs with the 2x1 seating that is wonderful! :)
I offer another second on this tip too. The 2x1 leather seats are great for a small upcharge.

Be aware that the Vermonter changes direction in Palmer Massachusetts. So you will be facing one way north of Palmer, and the other way south of Palmer.

Heh heh - I read the title to this thread "Need input on the Vermonter" and immediately, I thought "I need PUT on the Vermonter."

Wishful thinking...

So what is the process for doing the ferry? How far is it from the train station to the dock?
The ferry is a short (maybe a quarter mile) downhill walk from the station. http://www.ferries.com/ They have a gift shop and snack bar where you can purchase your ticket. I believe the one way fare was $8.00.

The ferry goes from Port Kent to Burlington. The Vermonter leaves the next morning from Essex Junction. Public transportation is excellent. You can take the #2 bus to Essex Junction. http://cctaride.org/. When I went, I found a decent hotel close to the bus route. Some of the downtown hotels can get a bit pricey for a quick overnight stay.

We did the Adirondack-Vermonter loop a few summers ago. No problem with the short walk down the hill from the train to the ferry, though I was glad it was a clear day, it might be a bit miserable if it's raining. We were picking up a rental car in Burlington, so we called ahead to make sure a cab was waiting for us at the ferry terminal in Burlington, and we drove to the airport to pick up our rental car. On the return trip, we dropped the rental car at the airport and got a cab to Essex Jct.

Being that we rode on summer weekends, both trains were extremely crowded. Had I been traveling alone, I would have sprung for Business class on the Vermonter, but with the whole family riding, we decided the extra cost wasn't worth it. The Adirondack, of course, has no business class, and, indeed, all the coaches I could see were the high-capacity Amfleet I's, though I've heard they put some Amfleet 2's on the Adirondack. Maybe they were reserved for the people going to Montreal. The vermonter was packed to capacity from about Amherst, MA to NYP. (It was a Sunday, and I guess people were going home from their New England weekends.)

I

I did an Adirondack-Vermonter loop of sorts for Labor Day weekend. The northbound Adirondack was running very late (about 2 hours if I recall correctly), and I was about to miss the 4:15 ferry from Port Kent (we were due into PRK at 4:25). The ferry was ready to go at 4:15, but the woman who was selling the tickets in the ferry booth knew the train was coming in a few minutes and held the ferry. I was the only one getting off at PRK that day, and was very appreciative that they held it for me! Thankfully that wasn't the last ferry of the day (I think the last was around 6:30).

The Adirondack, of course, has no business class, and, indeed, all the coaches I could see were the high-capacity Amfleet I's, though I've heard they put some Amfleet 2's on the Adirondack. Maybe they were reserved for the people going to Montreal.
They do--I was on an Amfleet II when I did NYP-YUL this past summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back