Need a convenient airport near railroad station.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregL

Service Attendant
We are getting the itch to take another long distance train trip. However, we have some serious time restraints. Is any airport within an easy commute of a station in LA, Emeryville, Seattle, or other city? We will have to fly one way, or the other.Thanks in advance for any sugestion.

In Seattle, SeaTac airport can be reached from King Street (Amtrak) Station with a simple, direct light rail ride that takes about half an hour. Unfortunately, while Tukwila Amtrak station is close to SeaTac airport, transportation options between the airport and the station are poor, so I wouldn't recommend trying to make a train-air connection that way.

From Los Angeles there is the Fly Away bus which will take you direct from LAX to Union Station or vice versa.

Baltimore/Washington (BWI) has shuttle service to and from the BWI Rail Station at the airport which is served by Amtrak's Northeast Corridor regionals and MARC.

In the San Francisco area you can make a direct connection to BART at either Richmond or the Oakland Coliseum; from there you have BART service to OAK and SFO.

Those are the best options with which I am personally familiar.

Chicago:

Walk two blocks south to the Clinton Blue Line stop, and then it's 45-50 minutes to O'Hare.

-or-

Walk a half-mile north to Quincy and catch the Orange Line to Midway. It takes about 30 minutes.

From Emeryville, Oakland is about 5 mi to the south (a Bart ride and I think it stops actually there, if not very close); and a Bart ride to SFO - where it stops at the airport.

Burbank (CA) Amtrak station is across the street from the (Bob Hope) airport...

St Louis airport is about a thirty minute light rail ride from the downtown station.

In Addition to The Other Cities Mentioned on the West Coast, San Diego's Airport is EZ to Reach from the Old Santa Fe/Amtrak/Light Rail Station! MTS Route 992 Runs To/From the Airport Down Broadway! You can also Hop on the Light Rail Train to the Airport (a 15 Minute Ride) in Portland By the Greyhound Station which is Located Next to Union Station!(about 100 Yards Away!)

Edited: Updated to Correct San Diego Info!

Last edited by a moderator:
Newark Airport has a direct connection via AirTrain. There's connections available to PBI, FLL, and MIA via Tri-Rail in South Florida. There's a connection to DFW via TRE or DART. From WAS there's connection available via Metro to DCA. From PHL there's a connection available via SEPTA. From BOS the Silver Line connects to Logan.

In Addition to The Other Cities Mentioned on the West Coast, San Diego's Airport is EZ to Reach from the Old Santa Fe/Amtrak/Light Rail Station! You have to take a Cab Since the Light Rail Doesnt go there But its Only about a $10 Fare! You can also Hop on the Light Rail Train to the Airport (a 15 Minute Ride) in Portland By the Greyhound Station which is Located Next to Union Station!(about 100 Yards Away!)
MTS route 992 says otherwise Jim. I rode it a couple of weeks ago (and last year as well) and it goes from the airport to downtown running on Broadway and stops on the south side of the Santa Fe station.

From NYP it's a short trip on the LIRR to Jamaica to connect with the AirTrain to JFK. You can even take the subway to Jamaica but I believe it's the same fare on the LIRR ($2.50).

Boston and PVD are also very convenient from Amtrak to airport. In Boston take the silver line direct from south station to Logan.

In PVD you can take the mbta commuter rail from the train station to the airport.

In Addition to The Other Cities Mentioned on the West Coast, San Diego's Airport is EZ to Reach from the Old Santa Fe/Amtrak/Light Rail Station! You have to take a Cab Since the Light Rail Doesnt go there But its Only about a $10 Fare! You can also Hop on the Light Rail Train to the Airport (a 15 Minute Ride) in Portland By the Greyhound Station which is Located Next to Union Station!(about 100 Yards Away!)
MTS route 992 says otherwise Jim. I rode it a couple of weeks ago (and last year as well) and it goes from the airport to downtown running on Broadway and stops on the south side of the Santa Fe station.
:cool: Thanks for the Update and Correction :hi: , it's Been a Few Years since I was in San Diego! (I hope to visit again Next Year when the Gathering is on the West Coast!)

San Francisco. Forget Emeryville. Think San Francisco Ferry Building stop. It is a full service station, that is tickets, checked baggage, waiting room. You can access it easily from both SFO and Oakland airports by BART.

The Ferry Building Station is not in the Ferry Building itself, but in a separate building about a block south of the Ferry Building. The waiting room and ticket office on the back side of the building. The Amtrak buses stop of the street in front of the building. The street is the Embarcadero.

The BART station is the Embarcadero Station which is about two blocks away from the Ferry Building under Market Street.

In SFO the BART station is in the upper level of the north side of the International Terminal.

An alternate from SFO is the Samtrans KX bus. It is an express and an easier trip than BART. However, it only runs once an hour. There are marked bus stops at the Taxi level in SFO. I do not know how close to the Ferry Building it gets. You may have a several block walk.

For Oakland there is a bus to the BART Stadium Station.

Correction: San Jose. Forget San Francisco. The airport isn't even in the city!

You can take the free VTA 10 bus from SJC to either the Santa Clara Caltrain station or the Metro/Airport VTA light rail station. Take either to Diridon station in downtown San Jose.

You can walk about 3 blocks south of the PDX station to get on the Red line light rail (TriMet) to the Portland (PDX) airport. The end of the red line is right outside the baggage claim which is very handy for those arriving in Portland Oregon by air.

I once got off a NE Regional at BWI which has a shuttle bus to get you to Departures at the BWI airport (Baltimore Washington International).

Correction: San Jose. Forget San Francisco. The airport isn't even in the city!

You can take the free VTA 10 bus from SJC to either the Santa Clara Caltrain station or the Metro/Airport VTA light rail station. Take either to Diridon station in downtown San Jose.
The Capital Corridor now stops at the Santa Clara (Caltrain) Station, its called Santa Clara/University Station in the Amtrak timetables.i

You can also take the Capital Corridor to a free connection (in the getting off the train direction only), by asking the conductor for a Try Transit Transfer and using it on AC Transit Route 73. If your coming from the Oakland Airport taking AC Transit Route 73 is also cheeper than the AirBART (the advertised shuttle bus to BART) costing $2.10 instead of $3.00. I've taken it, it was nice and empty and think we made just one extra local transit stop.

You can walk about 3 blocks south of the PDX station to get on the Red line light rail (TriMet) to the Portland (PDX) airport. The end of the red line is right outside the baggage claim which is very handy for those arriving in Portland Oregon by air.
I think the Red Line stop is MUCH farther than 3 blocks. A much easier (and shorter) way is to go 1/2 block south to the front of the Greyhound station and board a Green Line train. (You must pass this stop to get to the Red Line anyway.) Take the Green Line to ANY stop between Rose Garden and Gateway and transfer to a Red Line train to get to the airport. (The other direction, the stop is at the back of the Greyhound station.)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the east coast, Alexandria, VA is a place you might not have thought about. The ALX Amtrak station is right next to the Metro King Street Station. By Yellow or Blue lines on Metro, Reagan National Airport is less than 10 minutes away; cost is $1.85 to $2.25 depending on time of day.

Motels are quite close to the King Street/Old Town Metro-the nearest I can think of is an Embassy Suites across the street from the Metro exit, but there's a Hilton and a Hampton Inn less than a quarter mile away and plenty of others within a half-mile. Old Town Alexandria is well known and popular for its shopping and food amenities.

Obviously, Washington D.C is another potential Amtrak location near the Reagan National Airport. Metro Red Line serves Amtrak WAS Union Station; to get between WAS and Reagan National, you'd transfer between the Red and either a Yellow or Blue train. The shorter trip is via the Yellow line, with a transfer at Chinatown-Gallery Place; using the Blue line, the transfer point is Metro Center. Cost is about $2.05 to 2.70.

Landing or taking off from Reagan National can be a thrill! On a clear day with a good seat and takeoffs/landings in the right direction, you get to see nation icons like the Washington Monument, Arlington Cemetery, the Capitol building and Mall as you fly above the Potomac River.

That's a good one Golden grrl, I completely forgot about the Metro interface. If you're coming off the corridor its not too hard to access via Regional/Silver Service/Crescent.

Back