National Parks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I dont drive, so I'm looking for Rail Travel to get me as close to National Parks as possible. Any suggestions?

RF

THANX

edit: I guess I'd need a Park with Tour Bus service as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak also offers bus connections to Yosemite NP from Merced, CA. But my favorite would be Amtrak to Williams or Flagstaff, AZ. Then this outfit to the Grand Canyon. The good think about the Grand Canyon is no car needed (maybe a mule, though). Flagstaff is a lot more interesting town than Williams, but if staying in Williams you also have the option of taking the Grand Canyon Railroadf right to the south rim.

Amtrak also offers bus connections to Yosemite NP from Merced, CA. But my favorite would be Amtrak to Williams or Flagstaff, AZ. Then this outfit to the Grand Canyon. The good think about the Grand Canyon is no car needed (maybe a mule, though). Flagstaff is a lot more interesting town than Williams, but if staying in Williams you also have the option of taking the Grand Canyon Railroadf right to the south rim.
Thanx,

I got several results to Yosemite stops! Any suggestions?

RF

EB with Glacier and CZ to the Rocky mountains come up off the top of my head--
EB to Glacier is great! The train stops right in front of a few of the lodges (or off-park motels, which can be nice, too.) in East Glacier, West Glacier, or Essex. There are then tours and shuttle vans to many places around the park. We took the Going to the Sun red bus tour from East Glacier, and a shuttle van to Two Medicine Lake for hiking and canoeing. I would highly recommend Glacier Park. I hope to do it again sometime soon!

EB with Glacier and CZ to the Rocky mountains come up off the top of my head--
EB to Glacier is great! The train stops right in front of a few of the lodges (or off-park motels, which can be nice, too.) in East Glacier, West Glacier, or Essex. There are then tours and shuttle vans to many places around the park. We took the Going to the Sun red bus tour from East Glacier, and a shuttle van to Two Medicine Lake for hiking and canoeing. I would highly recommend Glacier Park. I hope to do it again sometime soon!
Just a point of clarification; the EB doesn't stop in front of the lodge in Essex -- it's about a quarter mile away. The lodge does have a van that will take you and your luggage to the lodge. But the "platform" is nothing more than a short stretch of rough ground. We took the EB this past May to Essex and back.

The Capitol Limited stops in Harper's Ferry, WV. The best lodging is the Hilltop House. However, at this time the hotel is undergoing a renovation to be completed 2011. If you visit their web page they have recommendation of other close by lodgings. http://www.hilltophousehotel.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Yosemite, Glacier and Grand Canyon NP by train.

It worked fine, if you need a decent stay in West Glacier go to: www.glaciervistamotel.com and ask the manager if she will pick you up from the train and maybe even drive you to the park.

Sunset Limited stops in Alpine, 75 miles from Big Bend National Park. You can rent a car, jeep, or boat in Alpine and some other communities.

Independence Hall NP in Phila is served by many Amtrak trains as well as local trains and subway system. Not all national parks are out west.

Thanx,

I got several results to Yosemite stops! Any suggestions?

RF

Merced stop on the San Joaquin line is the closest

This may not count since it's in a major hub, but... Gray Line has daily tours from downtown Seattle to Mount Rainier National Park. It's an all-day trip (about 10 hours, including a half-dozen photo stops and a long lunch break at the visitor center) and you'd probably need a place to stay on either night, but I did it in June and would highly recommend it!

for the ultimate rail travel to a national park, take the Alaska RR to Denali! The train stops right there. Only problem is you need to fly, drive, or cruise to get to the Alaska RR. ;)

And since you didn't specify USA, VIA Rail can take you to Jasper and others.

Speaking of National Parks, but a bit off topic:

In just a few days PBS will air a brand new series by Ken Burns about the National Parks. I am totally excited about this. It has me thinking about the parks and how I'll get to them by train.

Cheers,

David

Speaking of National Parks, but a bit off topic:
In just a few days PBS will air a brand new series by Ken Burns about the National Parks. I am totally excited about this. It has me thinking about the parks and how I'll get to them by train.

Cheers,

David
Is this a different series than the one they did on the great national park lodges, a short time ago?

Oh, I just used your link and I see it is different. I'll be sure to watch. thanks for the tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back