National Park Service and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel N. Weber II

Engineer
When the discussion of Amtrak and dome cars comes up, there's typically the argument that at least some believe that Amtrak is supposed to be a cost effective provider of transportation from point A to point B, and some believe that using federal Amtrak subsidies for providing more than a minimum level of comfort on the train is inappropriate.

It appears that the Cardinal runs through the New River Gorge National River, which the National Park Service is responsible for. Wouldn't it be appropriate for the National Park Service to pay Amtrak to run a dome car through parts of their park which aren't otherwise readily accessible, on the Cardinal and/or a dedicated local train? The National Park Service is also responsible for conservation, which would seem to imply that making better use of the existing track would be better than constructing something new, even ignoring any questions of cost.

This appears to be saying that the National Park Service gets about $2.7 billion in federal funding each year. How does that compare to Amtrak's funding, and what is an appropriate ratio of passenger rail funding to park funding?

I'd like to see any number of entities step up to the plate, and refurbish some old High-Level equipment (or other) like has been done with the PPC.

Be they public or private, refurb them, IBM/Nature Conservancy/RNC (I can dream)/NRA/RTT/Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation/Google/etc., etc. mount their moniker on a wall inside the car, and get exclusive use of the car, say for two weeks out of the year. Other than that, a set runs on the EB, another on the Chief, and so on down the LD trail.

Amtrak basically gets the cars for a zero-dollar lease, and pays only for normal upkeep and wear and tear.

Alan/Anthony, to your knowledge, has any organization ever approached Amtrak with an idea like this, or has Amtrak ever floated this idea out to anyone?

(or imagine sleepers on 66/67, "brought to you by, Motel 6.............") haha

It could work..................NO, it doesn't fit the "normal" business model, but what's wrong with thinking "outside the box" for the greater good of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Google Street View and Amtrak could work something out for Google Street View to have twice daily images along the routes with daily service in each direction in a way that would be profitable for Amtrak. (Of course, this might involve cab cameras in P42s and not refurbished passenger cars.)

:hi: Outstanding idea! I dont know how Federal Law is written in regards to Amtrak cutting deals but they seem to be able to get sponsors for national Train Day, they advertise etc. etc.

With Warren Buffet now owning BNSF perhaps they would be amiable to a partnership in this area, other companies also as the previous poster suggested! Id even be willing to pay a little extra like in the old days when they had extra fare trains to be able to ride in a dome/lounge car,even more for a Pullman sleeper! Looks like win/win for everyone to me! :cool:

I'd like to see any number of entities step up to the plate, and refurbish some old High-Level equipment (or other) like has been done with the PPC.

Be they public or private, refurb them, IBM/Nature Conservancy/RNC (I can dream)/NRA/RTT/Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation/Google/etc., etc. mount their moniker on a wall inside the car, and get exclusive use of the car, say for two weeks out of the year. Other than that, a set runs on the EB, another on the Chief, and so on down the LD trail.

Amtrak basically gets the cars for a zero-dollar lease, and pays only for normal upkeep and wear and tear.

Alan/Anthony, to your knowledge, has any organization ever approached Amtrak with an idea like this, or has Amtrak ever floated this idea out to anyone?

(or imagine sleepers on 66/67, "brought to you by, Motel 6.............") haha

It could work..................NO, it doesn't fit the "normal" business model, but what's wrong with thinking "outside the box" for the greater good of all.
I've never heard of such a thing, but that's not to say that it hasn't happened. My guess however is that Amtrak doesn't want to have a bunch of different cars floating around, even if someone else helped pay to get them on the road. They want a standard uniform fleet throughout both the bi-levels and the single levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back