Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YES! We have a winner, Washington Union Station it is. :hi:

The car in Amtrak livery is car 10002, the "Corridor Clipper", one of Amtrak's track geometry inspection cars. I didn't note the name on the PV; interestingly it wasn't there when we first pulled into WAS (see below), when I snapped the picture below; after a brief stroll on the platform during our short layover for the engine swap, when I returned to our roomette about 15 minutes later & looked out the window once again, the PV had suddenly appeared. Anybody recognize this magnificent car?

Last edited by a moderator:
My best guess (and it is purely a guess) is that it's the Norfolk Southern "Blue Ridge" - if I zoom way in on the picture of the PV, it looks like the first letter in the name is a B, and it looks very similar to pictures of the Blue Ridge that I've been able to find online.

Here's the next one:

6345517299_d4ce635bcb_z.jpg

My best guess (and it is purely a guess) is that it's the Norfolk Southern "Blue Ridge" - if I zoom way in on the picture of the PV, it looks like the first letter in the name is a B, and it looks very similar to pictures of the Blue Ridge that I've been able to find online.
Yes, that definitely resembles the car we saw, but we weren't able to see the open vestibule from our vantage point, however the color and paint scheme looks the same. My less-than-ideal smartphone camera and the less-than-sparkling Viewliner window didn't provide for the clearest image. Thanks!

Yes, that definitely resembles the car we saw, but we weren't able to see the open vestibule from our vantage point, however the color and paint scheme looks the same. My less-than-ideal smartphone camera and the less-than-sparkling Viewliner window didn't provide for the clearest image. Thanks!
Another possibility might be NS office car 'Buena Vista' ...

Okay, I have a different "best guess" now
rolleyes.gif

After re-looking at the Blue Ridge and re-looking at your picture, the second window from the left of your picture wasn't sitting right with me since it was noticeably shorter than others, so I was having doubts that it was the Blue Ridge. I also noticed that the car number of Blue Ridge was ME 101, and it looked like the car in your photo had an "NS" number, so I pretty much threw out the idea of it being Blue Ridge.

I also didn't think it was Buena Vista, as I wasn't really seeing the tiered window pattern that both sides of the Buena Vista seem to have on the back end.

So I'm glad my OCD kicked in
wacko.gif
and decided to pursue it further. My "new" best guess is that it's NS 32 - Research. Here's one pic of NS 32: http://www.railpictu...o.php?id=227376

And a page full of pictures of NS 32: http://www.rrpicture...e.aspx?id=28346

Ok, time to keep this one moving. I hope nobody minds if I jump in. This is probably an easy one, but it's what I have handy. This station isn't in very good shape anymore and I wish it would get a rehab.

station.jpg

Wasn't paying attention, or would have got that one. Left from there back in 2006 for our trip MTP-SLC in a CZ bedroom. You're right about the TLC needed.

Marshall, TX it is! That track in the foreground is a freight line heading east. A tunnel takes travelers from the parking area, under the track, to the station. The TE, turning north, runs on the other side of the station.

Back