Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go ... another easy one:

pitamakan2011-03-13a.jpg
I believe I've seen that in St. Paul!

I should know that one pretty well, since I've only seen that lounge from the outside. :D

This is probably an easy one (especially for any locals), but I love the photo.

20081132.jpg

As the token Montanan here, I guess I'd better step in. That looks like the grounds of the Izaak Walton Inn, up in Essex.

Not exactly the Amtrak station, but pretty close!

Just discovered this thread...what fun!

Since we have so little to go on, perhaps we can narrow this down to a route. The closest full car is a diner given the lack of windows on the lower level and the sightseer behind it. There are more than 3 coaches behind the sightseer, so it's one of the longer trains--either an Empire Builder or a Texas Eagle carrying through cars. (I'm ruling out Coast Starlight as the car next to the diner that's barely seen is not a Parlour.)

Equipment subs or deadheading cars would spoil the logic, but it's as good as I can do.

Montanan, are you willing to tell us that this a EB or TE that we're looking at?

Since we have so little to go on, perhaps we can narrow this down to a route. The closest full car is a diner given the lack of windows on the lower level and the sightseer behind it. There are more than 3 coaches behind the sightseer, so it's one of the longer trains--either an Empire Builder or a Texas Eagle carrying through cars. (I'm ruling out Coast Starlight as the car next to the diner that's barely seen is not a Parlour.)

Equipment subs or deadheading cars would spoil the logic, but it's as good as I can do.

Montanan, are you willing to tell us that this a EB or TE that we're looking at?
No idea what station it is, but I can say for certain that the train in the photo is not the Empire Builder. On the EB, the sightseer is not next to the diner, but separated from it by the Seattle Coaches as the sightseer is part of the Portland section. If I had to guess what train that is, I would say either the Sunset Limited SAS-LAX consist, the Southwest Chief, or the California Zephyr.

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent detective work!! And you're almost correct as far as consist goes. :)

And I am willing to tell you that this is neither the Empire Builder nor the Texas Eagle. :D

Back