Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was there in Greensboro in 2010. I don’t post pictures here. Next, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
The photo was taken on July 2 this year when I was there to transfer from the Carolinian to the Crescent. Although I was never there, I have heard it is much better than the old Greensboro station. If you don't post pictures, I have another one.20170720_204052.jpg
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
bagel.jpg

I thought I vaguely recognized it. But I was there 4 years ago.

It's one of the largest Business Class/First Class lounges that I have seen, and there is a second large area with conference rooms you can use.

The service on VIA Rails Corridor Business Class was excellent.

Ken

I was there in Greensboro in 2010. I don’t post pictures here. Next, please.

The photo was taken on July 2 this year when I was there to transfer from the Carolinian to the Crescent. Although I was never there, I have heard it is much better than the old Greensboro station. If you don't post pictures, I have another one.
attachicon.gif
20170720_204052.jpg
Does anyone have any guesses for this one?

You know, Business Class on the Maple Leaf isn't eligible to use it. The Maple Leaf isn't really a Via Business Class offering (they sell it a $1 upcharge Toronto-Niagara Falls on the Via ticket in conjunction with the Amtrak Business Class purchase). Only Business Class passengers on the Via Corridor trains and Sleeper Plus and Prestige on the Canadian are eligible to use it (plus Via's elite frequent travelers). Bottom line, while it is an Amtrak serviced station, Amtrak passengers can't use it.

I haven't ridden the Maple Leaf in a very long time, so I am somewhat fuzzy in the details of its operation....

I realize the VIA Rail crews run the Amtrak equipment between Niagara Falls, Ontario and Toronto, and I believe the Amtrak LSA locks up the Amtrak supplies at the border...but does s(he) get off at the border, to ride the next day's return trip, or, "ride the cushion's" in and out of Toronto? I believe a VIA Rail "LSA" has their own stock to work that portion....

It is a Via train between Toronto and Niagara Falls, ON. It is staffed by Via with Via stock. The Via attendant gets off and removes their stock at Niagara Falls, ON. The Amtrak operating crew gets on at Niagara Falls, ON. I think the Amtrak LSA gets on at Niagara Falls, NY, don't remember. Also not sure if they stock the train while everyone is clearing customs or the Amtrak stock remains sealed on the train.

While it a Via operated train (with Amtrak equipment) in Canada, the "Business Class" is not a Via offering and does not give access to the Business Lounge in Toronto.

It would be neat if for no one other than railfans, that instead of paying rental fees for using Amtrak's equipment on its portion of the Maple Leaf, that VIA Rail would supply the equipment on a pro-rate basis...

That's the way they used to do it on the Chicago-Sarnia-Toronto "International"....

Probably better that they don't though, for other operational reasons....

The Amtrak LSA does board at Niagara Falls and he brings the pop on board. You can see the picture of the rack of pop near him as the train pulled in to the station.

DSC_3749e.jpg

Another good thing is that the VIA LSA has good Canadian Beer and Coke on offer rather than the standard Amswill filtered water and Pepsi products.

And they take American dollars, but if your Credit Card issuer doesn't charge foreign currency fees the prices,are better too.

And as was said, if youre in Biz Class on Amtrak in the nice 2x1 Seating in the Cafe Car, VIA only charges $1 for the upgrade between Toronto and the border!

Thanks, I rode it last year, in BC so was in the cafe, but still didn't remember where the LSA got on. Looks like he brings on the stock, too.

That $1 Via upcharge for the Business Class doesn't get you access to the lounge in Toronto, though. They don't consider it a Via BC product.

I can't identify it....but I like it!

Its Art Deco style would be appropriate in a place like Cincinnati Union Terminal... :)

The decor looks like New York Central pinstripes.

There was a period when United Airlines planes' paint matched the decor of their Chicago terminal, and it gave a feeling of seamlessness to travel.

The decor looks like New York Central pinstripes.

There was a period when United Airlines planes' paint matched the decor of their Chicago terminal, and it gave a feeling of seamlessness to travel.
Yes...I can see NYC, Henry Dreyfuss style in that....

but I can also see PRR, Raymond Loewy style as well....as in pinstriped GG-1's.... :)

I recall some streamliner era city ticket offices in several cities that mirrored the streamlined planes, ship's, and train's of their companies.... :cool:

Back