Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to wake up this thread with a new post.

Guess this station!

f1aCiwF.jpg

Clues:

• Birdbath appears intact so area may have mild winters as freezing rainwater would have broken it or, as It's also empty, it hasn't rained recently.

• But weeds and trees seem healthy, so there may be a lake or stream close by.

• Sun's shining on far side and right side of station and is high in the sky, so the station and camera are not facing West or North so must be facing kind of East or South.

• Above clue implies station is on West or North side of tracks - depending on which way the tracks really run

• Lots of trees across the tracks, all deciduous

• No Kudzu on the utility pole, so it's probably not in the SE part of the country.

• Boulder indicates area not swampy.

• Doesn't appear to be wheelchair accessible.

• It's not in the Mountain time zone

Absolutely no idea! :p

Clues:

• Birdbath appears intact so area may have mild winters as freezing rainwater would have broken it or, as It's also empty, it hasn't rained recently.

• But weeds and trees seem healthy, so there may be a lake or stream close by.

• Sun's shining on far side and right side of station and is high in the sky, so the station and camera are not facing West or North so must be facing kind of East or South.

• Above clue implies station is on West or North side of tracks - depending on which way the tracks really run

• Lots of trees across the tracks, all deciduous

• No Kudzu on the utility pole, so it's probably not in the SE part of the country.

• Boulder indicates area not swampy.

• Doesn't appear to be wheelchair accessible.

• It's not in the Mountain time zone

Absolutely no idea! :p

This is high quality detective work!!!!!! Let me compare your deductions with fact -

1. I am not sure if I would call winter here 'mild' as winter in this location is typically harsher than where I live in North Carolina.
  2. There is a creek or river nearby........ just around the curve to the left of this image the tracks cross a small river.
  3. This Amshack is, in fact, oriented on the west side of the track. I was facing eastward when I took this photo at around 10:30am in July 2014.
  4. This station is not in the southeastern United States. It is therefore NOT a stop for the Crescent, Silver Service trains, Carolinian, or Palmetto.
Here are two additional clues........ in this photo it is about 10:30am local time and this town is in a place where it's citizens have historically spent more time than most thinking about what time it is in their town as opposed to what time it is in other parts of the country..... or even in other towns not too far away. ALSO, notice that there is a freight train in the photo. I would have liked to have gotten a passenger train in my picture but the fact is that the next passenger train is not due to stop until after dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat me to it John! Dyer was my guess since it obviously wasn't in Arizona which also has some strange time keeping problems and Bus Stop type Stations! ( You are now entering The Twilight Zone!)

Except for the color above the windows and facia, it pretty well matches the Dyer station shown in the Oct 2013 Street View image of Google Earth. But the newer overhead view when not in Street View (aerial imagery) that's dated about 4 months ago doesn't show that type of station. It shows a new parking lot (no weeds or birdbath) and a station with a gable roof about 70 feet long. My guess is the photo in the Post #5212 is one of the old Dyer station before it was replaced and the surrounding area tidied up some time after Oct 2013. Maybe. Sort of. :blink:

Active and unstaffed station........ anyone recognize it? The birdbath might give it away.

attachicon.gif
DSC02580.JPG
I think this one was posted in the past, but I ain't going to go through 262 pages looking for it. :D

Ohhh..... me neither Amtrak Blue. I was going with something out of the ordinary that was on the laptop I was using this morning......which happens to be the same laptop I had with me on the trip last summer when I took this photo!

Back