Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone who can, please post the next one, thanks.....
Okay, I'll try...

The rules say inactive stations are allowed, and many people use that rule to post pictures of former stations. I'm going to mix it up by throwing a future station out there.

So, here's a future Amtrak station, currently under construction:

aaa.png

Ooooooh - tough, tough one.

I have no idea where this is but I like the concept of 'future stations'. I might use it for my next entry.

Could you give us a hint or two? For instance, will this station be replacing an existing station nearby? How many trains (more-or-less) will stop here?

I'll give it a few hours to see if anyone knows it right off the bat. If not, I'll come back with hints later today.

Miami, Fla.
Nope.

A little bit of background on the picture. I didn't take it (my helicopter's in the shop). I got it off of a website. It is up to date, though and accurately represents the construction site as of a few days ago. There's not much of a building here, yet; just a foundation. However, this building-to-be has a pretty distinctive design, and tracing the outline of the foundation matches the shape of the building pretty well.

Someone who can, please post the next one, thanks.....
Okay, I'll try...

The rules say inactive stations are allowed, and many people use that rule to post pictures of former stations. I'm going to mix it up by throwing a future station out there.

So, here's a future Amtrak station, currently under construction:

aaa.png
It couldn't be Denver, CO, could it?

It couldn't be Denver, CO, could it?
It could not. Sorry. I don't know anything about Denver, but I would hope they're further along than this.

Here's a hint:

This building that's under construction isn't just the Amtrak station. It's a new multi-modal transit center that will contain an Amtrak station, but also link local bus service, local shuttle service, and other transit.

New London, CT??
Nope, sorry.

I think I'll give a hint for every incorrect guess. So, here's the next one:

This station will be replacing an existing station in this area. In fact, if you were able to zoom out of my picture just a little more, you'd probably be able to see the existing station appear in the upper left. As it stands, you can just see the parking lot adjacent to the existing station in the upper left hand corner of this picture.

Norfolk, VA
Nope. Here's another hint:

This is a pretty busy station already. Amtrak has something like 11 trains each direction stopping at this station (per day), and there are another 14-15 commuter trains each way on the weekdays. All this and freight traffic too!

Burbank, CA?
No, but you're closer, and I'll explain why in my next hint:

I'm by no means an expert in these things, but the first time I traveled to the east coast from my home in the western US, I was struck by how much darker the soil is there. Rich dark brown. Thousands or millions of years of lots more vegetation growing means lots more vegetation decomposing and adding more organic material to the soil.

In contrast, the dirt where I'm from (Tucson) is very pale in color, presumably because we've long been a desert, and don't have nearly as much plant matter adding to our soil. So using my own very limited experience as a guide, I would analyze the picture this way: The dirt in this picture is not quite the same color as what it would be in my area, but definitely a little bit lighter than what I would expect from some place like Virginia. So, not necessarily the dirt of a harsh desert like Tucson, but definitely the dirt of somewhere in the Western US.

Sacramento, California!!
Nope. Good guess, though, since Sacramento is in the process of creating a new intermodal center. I think they're renovating the historic depot for that purpose, though. In contrast, this station that I've posted is a brand new purpose built building. It's not a renovation or a repurposing of the old station; it's going in next to/near the old station. And that old station is most definitely not what most people would consider historic.

That's not really a hint, but more of a clarification of previously posted info. Here's your hint:

All around the area surrounding this station, there's signage of all types. Signs on commercial buildings, billboards, or whatever. There's one particular letter that appears with greater prominence on a lot of the signage around this part of the city, and that letter is "A". In fact there's a real Big A just south of this station.

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

This station that's under construction is the ARTIC, or Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center. This new building is being built just to the east of the current Anaheim station (and just north of Angel Stadium, aka "The Big A"). The new center will be the central hub for the Amtrak station, Metrolink station, OCTA busses, ART (Anaheim Resort Transportation) shuttles, and whatever BRT, streetcar, monorail, or moving sidewalk system Anaheim eventually decides to do to bring people from ARTIC to Disneyland. This station was also heavily sold to the public as the Anaheim station for the California High Speed Rail, assuming it ever gets that far south.

I lifted my picture from the project website at http://www.articinfo.com. Here's another showing a rendering of the finished station:

Exterior%20-%20Aerial%20Shot%20from%20Above%20031212.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job, Aaron! I like the way you fed us the hints, and gave us a nice detailed explanation of the station. Well done! :hi:

Very impressive! Anaheim should be justifiably proud.

I'm fresh out of original images, so I yield the floor to whomever has a pic to post.

Going back to Anaheim....... very, very impressive.

I should have been closer to figuring that out....... I was Google Earthing that area just a week ago looking to see how close hotels were to several SOCAL stations. Just didn't pay close enough attention.

Back