Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, try this one on for size. It's still standing but the route it served was discontinued several years ago.

hinkle4.jpg

Detroit Central
Ryan, Detroit is correct. What a shame this formerly grand station has nearly gone to ruin.

Your turn to post a picture.
Why are there so many offices above the hall, though?
That was the headquarters for the NYC subsidiary Michigan Central Railway. I don't know if they used all of that office space, but more likely leased some of it out........
That makes sense but the building still looks more like an old skyscraper than a station.

Detroit Central
Ryan, Detroit is correct. What a shame this formerly grand station has nearly gone to ruin.

That was the headquarters for the NYC subsidiary Michigan Central Railway. I don't know if they used all of that office space, but more likely leased some of it out........
That makes sense but the building still looks more like an old skyscraper than a station.
Another NYC Lines station with a grandiose office tower attached, was the former Buffalo Central Terminal, although done more in the Art Deco than the Classical style....

When you think about it....there were many other examples around the country of large office buildings attached or built over the stations or terminals....

And I mean from the beginning, like Union Station in Chicago, as opposed to when Union Station was rebuilt in the '60's......

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit Central

I understand the top three or four floors were never used as office space and the interiors never fitted out.

Here we go -

Probably very easy for many of us BUT I think that this active Amtrak station needs it's moment in the sun while it is still an active Amtrak station.

Who can name it first?

579734_10200221332992255_1258714188_n.jpg

111116.36.jpg

I'm not sure how easy or difficult this one will be, but here's a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
No takers? You mean I actually posted a picture no one got .08 seconds after I posted it for a change?? Either that or there's massive disinterest in anything I post. ;) Pride and ego will allow me to think it's the former and not the latter. :lol: Here's a clue: For those of you who know Jimhudson, his reply should get you on the right track, so to speak. ;)

Since Jim thinks it is easy, I assume it is in Texas. Since I have never been to Texas by train (but will in April :) ), I have no idea what any of the stations look like. I will guess Taylor, Texas.

Back