Name a legendary Amtrak worker (Good or Bad)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony owns this place, Alan helps run it (with the rest of the moderation staff).
Then why does Anthony never post here in topics?
Never posts?

He's got more posts than you with 2,891 in the books.

And right at the top of very forum is his post on the politics guidelines.

Anthony pretty much only posts when he has something really important to say. When Anthony "speaks," everyone listens. :lol: :lol:

For someone so young, he is brilliant. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to add a name here -- to the "legendary good" list -- after a trip I did over the weekend between La Plata, MO and Chicago, IL.

This was on #4(6/22) that got into Chicago on Sunday, June 24th... #0430 sleeper. His name was Victor and he was THE BEST sleeping car attendant I've had in more than 400,000 miles on Amtrak -- I joked with him that I wish my fiancee and I weren't just going from LAP-CHI in his sleeper -- I wish I was coming in from Los Angeles so I could experience his great service.

Anyway, where to start? In the short 5 hours we were on the train... he brought around HOT TOWELS for everyone with a slice of lime on them. I told him I *NEVER* had this on a sleeper before, only on First Class Acela runs (when/if they actually remember to do it). It was a very nice touch before lunch.

He also did some light narration about Fort Madison, Mississippi River, Galesburg, Aurora, and Chicago... interesting facts.

Around Galesburg, he brought around fresh oranges and strawberries to everyone's room. YUMMM... they must have been fresh strawberries from Southern California... and I'm guessing it was from his own money?

THEN, just before Naperville he did his "last sweep" of beverages... bringing a tray to everyone's room filled with cups of the various juices that Amtrak has... plus water, and half-cans of Pepsi products (non-rev stuff I'm sure that the diner and lounge didn't want to carry into Chicago)

And then at the end he carried everyone's bags down the stair well.

I actually tipped him $20, what I normally tip an average attendant for a 2 night trip.

At Chicago Union Station, I thanked him and sorta half-jokingly inquired... you were doing all of this because either... (A) you're still new and haven't got Am-burned out yet... or (B) you knew that Joe Boardman's right-hand man was riding from KCY-GBB on the train that day.

He said, NO, to both... he's been with Amtrak for 34 years and is one of the top 10 in senority at the LAX crew base... and he had no clue about the brass on board. :)

We have Dennis on the CZ right now and I could not be happier he is a great guy and very personable. He seems to go out of his way to help. It has to be hard when every room is full.

We have Dennis on the CZ right now and I could not be happier he is a great guy and very personable. He seems to go out of his way to help. It has to be hard when every room is full.
I had Dennis for a SCA on the 5 back in early May. Great guy (the only SCA I've ever had that actually brought clean hand towels and wash cloths into my roomette during the 2nd day). I'd rate Dennis as the 2nd best SCA I've ever had behind only Ralph (older, lanky black gentleman) who I had on the 6 only days earlier. Ralph worked harder than any SCA that I've ever seen, cleaning all the bathrooms and using a carpet sweeper in the hallway several times a day. When I commented about how busy he kept himself he said simply "Hey, I live here too". :)

I was in room 2 on both trains so I got to know both men pretty well. Ralph was especially helpful in suggesting places to eat and see while in Chicago (although he did have to call his wife :help: to get the name of his fav downtown restaurant, Grand Lux Cafe, which he couldn't remember).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back