My Son's intermodal Adventure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP_Lovecraft

Service Attendant
One of the many benefits of having children is that I can do something as completely frivolous as traveling to Boston for no other reason then riding on various forms of rail, and claim to my wife that it is solely for the benefit of my son.

My son is also loves trains, so we figured we would try and ride as many different types as time would allow.

To start, we board the Amtrak Downeaster from SAO (Saco, Maine) to HHL (Haverhill, Mass).

liam1.jpg

Why not take the Downeaster directly into North Station, Boston? Because that would be too easy.

Instead, we get off in Haverhill so we can catch the MBTA Commuter Train.

liam2.jpg

The first thing my son says is: "Dad, where is the cabbage?". God bless him.

Fortunetly, the Downeaster was on schedule, and we were only at the Haverhill Station for a few minutes. It was not exactly in a good part of town.

The MBTA Commuter Rail was a nice ride. Not as comfortable as Amtrak, but not supposed to be. The 3x2 seat arrangment had every packed in like sardines. My son though, was completely amazed.

Next we get off in Malden. Why not North Station? Because despite what the MBTA claims, the North Station Train Station, and North Station Subway Station are not the same place. However, at Malden they are. We hop on the "ORANGE LINE" subway. I could not even get him to sit on the Subway. Instead, preferred to act like a fool holding onto the bar.

liam3.jpg

We connect to the Red Line, and head for South Station. You might notice below my camera has a bit of a shutter-lag.

We had lunch while watching the trains come and go.

liam4.jpg

We saw an Acela in the yard. Nobody was looking so we stopped on. Then, about 5 seconds later, we heard "Doors will be closing". Yikes, and jumped off! Train left about a minute later. The Amtrak regional was also in the yard, including all sorta of MBTA Rails.

liam5.jpg

Then we decided to take a short from from South Station to Back Bay station on one of the new Double-Decker type trains.

liam6.jpg

Its a pretty short ride. When the train stopped at Backbay, I was on the 2nd floor, and my son was somewhere on the 1st, running like mad through this train.

liam7.jpg

Then back to South Station, to catch the Red Line.

liam8.jpg

Then the Green Line trolley. We were heading for Science Station, so we could hop over to the science musuem to pick up some toy trains. Unfortunetly, we are not very savvy. Twice, the train went "out of service", and we had to get off, and catch another Gree Line. We were told this is normal, and we should pay more attention to the destination displayed on the train.

liam9.jpg

Then back on the Green Line to North Station, with the much-hyped bridge in the background:

liama.jpg

Train on the Train. Conductors were all super-friendly. At one point that asked my son if he would like to sit with the Engineer (Or, whatever that guy is that sits in the back of the train. Not sure what he does).

liamb.jpg

Back in lovely Haverhill to catch the Downeaster.

liamc.jpg

Something like 11-12 assorted train rides, and since most utilized intercity transit, I hardly paid anything.

Trains through the eyes of kids is the best way to see things!! Thanks for the informative report.

How old is he?

My love of trains started before I can remember, since I lived along the SP mainline (the Coast Line) in California--literally, my backyard fence ran up against the ROW. I watched trains every day.

I don't remember whether my first train ride was Amtrak (I did SLO-SEA-SPK-PDX-SLO when I was probably about seven or eight), Metrolink, or the Red Line (my grandpa used to work in downtown L.A. and lives in Simi Valley, so even though he drove every day, I got him to cave and take Metrolink/Red Line with me a couple times a year...that was probably more like when I was 9 or 10, though).

I never grew up--I still get on trains just for the heck of it and run all around them like a 9-year-old would. I can stare out the windows (especially the forward-facing railfan window on cab cars...well, before they started roping them off) for hours on end and never tire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back