Movies returning to lounge cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtabern

Conductor
So... do you think movies will return to lounge cars?

Apparently Railway Media and their digiplayers are now out of business! I just learned this after taking a trip out of Union Station in Chicago this weekend --- and seeing their set-up totally gone.

We chatted about this over in this topic about a week ago or so. :)

The general consensus seemed to be that Amtrak won't bring back the movies to the lounges.

I've heard 2nd hand talk of them returning to the Starlight's PP Car, but nothing else. Even there, the genre I've heard discussed was more on the "Classic Hollywood" than the "new release" category. Truthfully though, I would think that some classic films would be ideal for showing aboard trains - North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train, even that 1930's Milwaukee Road location shot film whose name escapes me at the moment.

You could watch "Union Station" on your way to Union Station!

Did anyone ever see the movie where Lucy and the gang take a trip to California or someplace and takes a train? She finds a bad guy in the train and keeps pulling the emergency cord?

Did anyone ever see the movie where Lucy and the gang take a trip to California or someplace and takes a train? She finds a bad guy in the train and keeps pulling the emergency cord?
YES. And Fred and Ethel kept coming back to the sleeper with food all over their clothes. :lol:

Now if Amtrak were really clever, they'd figure out a deal with Apple to place a server on say, a lounge car, and perhaps offer "the iTunes Hot 100." Audio, video, whatever you can get onto a server that's bulletproof enough to survive Amtrak service. Oh yes, wi-fi within the train to get it onto your laptop, iPhone or iPod Touch would IMO mark Amtrak as a hospitality company to watch.

Paging Mr. Fremaux...

(i'm sure he'll drop me a check in the mail for this one... :D )

Now if Amtrak were really clever, they'd figure out a deal with Apple to place a server on say, a lounge car, and perhaps offer "the iTunes Hot 100." Audio, video, whatever you can get onto a server that's bulletproof enough to survive Amtrak service. Oh yes, wi-fi within the train to get it onto your laptop, iPhone or iPod Touch would IMO mark Amtrak as a hospitality company to watch.
Paging Mr. Fremaux...

(i'm sure he'll drop me a check in the mail for this one... :D )
Cool idea Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, if they don't have enough money to even fix the dents in some of those older Superliners, where will they find the money to do such a passenger-friendly thing?

And Amtrak, clever?? (hahahhahahaha)

In my lifetime? (hahahahahahahahaha)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back