Most untapped market

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny.menhennet

Conductor
I know that this may be annoying for some, and I'm sorry, but I find that my favorite posts/threads to read are the "What if's" (ex: If you could start one route, what would it be? -type things). So I was wondering what every member thought was the most underserved market in the United States. Whether you consider this to be a market entirely not served or something that's not served enough in your opinion, I'll leave it up to your discretion. If you'd like, a train service that would solve the needs of that city/area. I love the type of discussion that these threads produce rather than purely fact/number-based ones, and there is not likely to be argument, because we all have our own ideas of what would be best.

To start off, I'd say a few markets really worthy of more service would be:

1) overnight/more daytime frequencies SoCal-Bay Area - If you look at the best schedule times for the route, padding aside, you could make an LAX-SJC run in 8:10. Corridor services operating under 9 hours could be very successful here, as could an overnight so you don't waste a day. There is a lot of business travel between SoCal and the Bay Area, and an overnight service that would allow you to not waste a few hours in the morning/evening would be awesome. It is just not tapped well enough, because driving the 5 is god-awful, and on busy weekends you can have traffic jams literally in the middle of nowhere. CalTrans has 4 slots on the route, two of which are kind of being used already. Just extend those two to SF, add another frequency in between, and then an overnight. It would be SO nice. My dad had to drive his huge Expedition up to San Jose just for the weekend two weeks ago to pick up a lot of stuff for our house under construction in Phoenix. This was the week/weekend following the gas price spike, where at a few stations, it was $5.60, and almost could not be found below $5 for a few days. He had no other choice, because he had to pick it up and he was going to a football game. So if Amtrak had been an option overnight, I guarantee you he would have used it, and he would have been able to check almost all of the large boxes with little cost. I can't stress enough how sucky the drive is becoming on the 5 - worse and worse every year.

2) Bay Area-Reno

3) Phoenix-Tucson corridor (sheer lack of demand and proximity - I'm ignoring political climate)

4) Cascades service both directions from Seattle - low BNSF caps are frustrating

5) wish we could get even more frequencies out of the NEC, to continue generating more revenue to offset other losses

6) CHI-DEN. Needs more capacity for sure. I know at this point it's unrealistic to ask for a day train, given the sheer distance, albeit nice track. What would be nice would be an 10pm departure from CHI, leaving Omaha at 7am, Lincoln at 8am, arriving Denver at 3pm, then heading to Grand Junction arriving at 11pm. Not only would this provide an overnight ride from CHI to both Omaha and Denver, providing more capacity, it allows another frequency over the Rockies to accommodate and hopefully minimize the capacity demands currently straining the CZ. It would allow people to not miss a whole day travelling this section. Coming back, the consist could leave Grand Junction at 6am, arriving Denver at 1pm, it could get to Lincoln by 10:30pm, Omaha by 11:30pm, and then Chicago by 8:30am. Same reasons work for the frequency in the other direction.

7) maybe MSP-Williston day train

8) FTW-SAS, but via Waco. Many large cities but 1 daily train.

9) The OBVIOUS LA-Vegas run. 'Nuff said.

I'm going to stop calling out more services, because I don't want to start sounding even more ridiculous than I already do. I understand that all of these require cars Amtrak doesn't have, and I realize these plans cost money and often would not have political support. Some of these are obviously not as important as others, but they are ALL worthy of more service on some level. I'm open to hearing ideas either about what I suggested or your own. Hope I don't bother too many people with this.

Los Angeles-Las Vegas should be restored as the #1 priority followed by New Orleans- Florida as #2.

PIONEER and BROADWAY should be restored. Ditto for Chicago-Florida service.

On the it's-never-happened-yet list as far as Amtrak goes are:

Dallas/Ft. Worth-Denver route

St. Louis-Tulsa- Oklahoma City route

Atlanta-Dallas route

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Gotta be the Gulf Coast through the South to Florida! I favor running the CONO from CHI-Florida since I dont think well ever see a Train run through the South from CHI-MIA via Kentucky,Tennesse and ATL! All the others are Good ideas soon as Equipment is available and the Freight Railroads agree to let them run! We all have our Faves, keep the ideas coming Johnny, thats what the Young are for, lots of old folks catch the "It Won't Work /Can't be Done Disease!"

I have to agree that it's not likely we'll ever see CHI-MIA service without some MAJOR investment in the infrastructure. I just calculated the average speed from just north of Marietta to a bit south of Chattanooga on CSX. The average speed limit is about 51 miles per hour. Not bad for a LD train overall, but bad for corridor type service...but that's just the average of the speed limits. Actual speed would be slower once stations are added in, and once the train has to be stopped on a siding for an oncoming freight in single-track territory... For reference, the trip time at this average speed from Marietta to about the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (CSX crosses the TVRM just west of the TVRM Grand Junction Station) would take 2 hours, 46 minutes. A drive from Marietta to Chattanooga proper would only take right about 2 hours, Google says 1:49, but I'll give 10 for traffic and stops.

Johhny covered most of the obvious ones, yet I'll repeat just because according to me too they are some of the most underserved routes that'd love to see more Amtrak service-

SFO Bay Area to Los Angeles: This size of urban areas should have at least an hourly train in each direction, but since that's not happening, at least 4 services each way, taking something around 7 hours would be great. I believe a lot of the CS route is single tracked, so that would have to be doubled all the way for any kind of sustained corridor service to work.

LA to Vegas: Enough said, nothing to add.

Dallas-Houston-San Antonio triangle corridor services. Perfect distance and population to sustain multiple-runs a day corridor service with 4-5 hour running time between each city pair

Extension of NE corridor southwards: Washington-Charlotte/Raleigh/Durham-Atlanta: Surely urban areas of this size deserve more than one or two passing-by trains per day.

Florida Corridor services: Miami-Tampa-Orlando triangle plus offshoots to Jacksonville/Gainesville (college crowd). Multiple seating-only services per day

One west coast to east coast service bypassing Chicago. I can't single out which route, but anything southerly than going all the way to Chicago and coming south-east again.

Michigan to Canada via Detroit/Windsor. Not only would it save a lot of backtracking and/or bussing for those of us wishing to travel east, it could open up a route to Niagara Falls, Toronto, and other tourist destinations.

I agree with the L.A. to Las Vegas route, or even Kingman to Las Vegas. Basically, anything that doesn't require a bus to Las Vegas in the middle of the night.

For a number of these the inability to achieve good average speeds makes them non-starters. That means almost all routes through Appalachia. The issue is not track condition, but alignment. Poster child for explaining this: Atlanta to Birmingham. 4 hours for 165 miles by rail, 2 hours 30 minutes and 145 miles by road. The maximum speed on the rail line is 79 mph, but because of the curves the train never gets that fast.

MSP - Kansas City - DFW - Houston/San Antonio. Would require work to get Dallas - Houson up to a decent speed, but otherwise track an alignment are fairly good. It is just a matter of getting past UP.

Two mroe trains between New York and Chicago via Buffalo and Cleveland. Need to get a before the start of the business day arrival on both ends and a mid to late evening departure on both ends, leaving the current Lake Shore Limited to split the difference more or less as it does now. Would be nice to get enough speed out of the line to get a fast daytime train like the 1950's amd 60's City of New Orleans between Chicago and New Orleans. Never could understand why both New York Central and the Pennsylvania did not do this sort of train when they were running the 16 hours Twentieth Century and Broadway respectively.

Do a similar set up between New York and Atlanta. Would be nice to have a decent morning arrival time in Charlotte Southbound.

1: Some kind of service from Novato/San Rafael,Ca to the Capitol Corridor/San Joaquins

2: STL - East Coast, or at least STL - IND or PIT

3: KC - Omaha

4: STL or KC to Springfield, MO

I think Pittsburgh needs some love. Every time I've ridden the Pennsylvanian, it's been packed full.

Also, some Washington - Pittsburgh trains would probably work too, given the traffic I see on I-70 and the PA turnpike. Or at least extend the MARC trains to Cumberland.

I know, between the curves and the grades on that route, it might not be as fast as it could be. I think the best the B&O could manage in the good old days was 6 hours. (The current Capitol takes 8 hours). You can drive it in 5 hours. Maybe they could shave some time if they used Talgos.

I think Pittsburgh needs some love. Every time I've ridden the Pennsylvanian, it's been packed full.

Also, some Washington - Pittsburgh trains would probably work too, given the traffic I see on I-70 and the PA turnpike. Or at least extend the MARC trains to Cumberland.

I know, between the curves and the grades on that route, it might not be as fast as it could be. I think the best the B&O could manage in the good old days was 6 hours. (The current Capitol takes 8 hours). You can drive it in 5 hours. Maybe they could shave some time if they used Talgos.
Looking at my Official Guide of the Railways from 1941, the Cap took about 6 hours, 30 minutes to get from DC to Pittsburgh. If it was only like that now!

If there is to be a discussion on the most untapped travel markets in the US for Amtrak, one place to start should be with the top city/metro region air travel corridors. Here is a Brookings Institute list from 2009 that I found linked to on wikipedia with the top 100 city/metro region pairs. It is not up to date - post-recession likely shuffled the order & numbers - and one should not get picky about the exact rankings. The busier corridors obviously also have a lot of connecting traffic, so it is not a clean city of origin to final destination list, but the list shows useful info to consider for a "untapped" market list for Amtrak.

The untapped markets really should be no more than 500-600 miles apart for a viable corridor service. That is not to say that LD trains can't be considered, but LD trains are more viable if they can operate over busy corridor segments for large portions of their route. The top city pairs are:

1. NYC/Newark to Miami/Fort Lauderdale: the Silvers

2. LA/Long Beach to San Francisco/Oakland: There is a market for the Coast Daylight and the CA HSR.

3. Atlanta to Miami/Ft Lauderdale: big gap in the Amtrak system.

4. Chicago to NYC/Newark: LSL; Bring back the Three Rivers?

5. Atlanta to NYC/Newark: One often maxed out Crescent.

6. LA to NYC/Newark: long trip on Amtrak.

7. NYC/Newark to Orlando: the Silvers

8. NYC/Newark to London: ok, difficult to do by train.

9. LA/Long Beach to Las Vegas: X-Train and Xpress-West are looking to fill this gap.

10. LA/Long Beach to Phoenix: An argument for a LA to Phoenix day train if UP were to cooperate and Arizona was interested.

Below the top 10 is where one finds a number of city pairs where there should be passenger rail corridor service.

I'm with Sorcha - I'd like to be able to get from Michigan to Canada or the east coast without driving to Toledo or having to go to Chicago first.

Since this is talking about UNtapped instead of POORLY tapped markets, I'll go with the following:

1. CHI-MIA, I've always thought that this needs service for through pax plus that it will serve many new markets in between.

2. NOL-MIA, needs service, obvious gap in the network. Lots of people are missing out on trains.

3. SLC-LAX, restore the Desert Wind, Las Vegas needs service and people on CZ route can now travel to LAX.

4. SLC-PDX, restore the Pioneer, again, lots of people missing out on trains.

5. MSP-DAL, Amtrak needs this north-south connection. It will also serve many new markets.

6. DEN-DAL, Amtrak also needs this connection and it serves new markets.

7. NYP-STL, restore the National Limited, great for through traffic, better connections to Texas, greatly improves service in Ohio and Indiana.

8. CHI-SEa/PDX, restore the North Coast Hiawatha, large amounts of people left unserved after that train was cancelled, poor transportation options in those places.

9. CHI-Winnipeg, connection to Central Canada.

Michigan to Canada via Detroit/Windsor. Not only would it save a lot of backtracking and/or bussing for those of us wishing to travel east, it could open up a route to Niagara Falls, Toronto, and other tourist destinations.
A Chicago-Michigan-Toronto service is being discussed by Amtrak, VIA, and the numerous US & Canadian government agencies involved. I found and posted a link to an Amtrak presentation on border issues in the Meteor-Vermonter thread a few days ago that included a possible CHI-TWO service. But this would be in the long term, not anytime soon. Michigan state officials are interested in restoration of service to Toronto. But I expect little will happen until after the CHI-DET corridor improvements are in place with reduced trip times and increased ridership. Then the idea of adding a CHI-Michigan-TWO daily train with a Customs facility at the border might get come to the forefront, but it will take cooperation and support from MI, at the federal level, and on the Canadian side.

If there was a CHI-TWO day train, that would obviously open up connections from the Mid-West to VIA trips in Canada.

(The current Capitol takes 8 hours). You can drive it in 5 hours. Maybe they could shave some time if they used Talgos.
Last Thanksgiving, Alexandria to Pittsburgh took 11 and a half hours to drive. The drive back took 9, but only because I bailed on the interstates at Breezewood after it took 45 minutes to get from the exit lane to the tollbooth. The drive for Christmas, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and, for who knows why, Presidents Day weekends all exceeded 6.5 hours.

I already have my Capitol Limited tickets waiting for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Even just a second train, morning or mid-day departure from DC, that just ran DC-Pittsburgh or DC-Cleveland would be incredible.

How about a train bypassing Chicago, like the Crescent star was going to do before that project died. A NYP to Meridian to Dallas/Ft. Worth train, then continue up to Denver. This market i can see as travel time between NYP and Dallas/ Ft. Worth can be cut and the Denver market served.

1. CHI-MIA, I've always thought that this needs service for through pax plus that it will serve many new markets in between.
Love this idea. Right now, we have to backtrack to Chicago (or drive to IN) to catch the LSL and then transfer to the Silvers. Ugh. CHI to MIA would be so much better, and they might get a lot of families and spring break crowds traveling that route.

A Chicago-Michigan-Toronto service is being discussed by Amtrak, VIA, and the numerous US & Canadian government agencies involved. I found and posted a link to an Amtrak presentation on border issues in the Meteor-Vermonter thread a few days ago that included a possible CHI-TWO service. But this would be in the long term, not anytime soon. Michigan state officials are interested in restoration of service to Toronto. But I expect little will happen until after the CHI-DET corridor improvements are in place with reduced trip times and increased ridership. Then the idea of adding a CHI-Michigan-TWO daily train with a Customs facility at the border might get come to the forefront, but it will take cooperation and support from MI, at the federal level, and on the Canadian side.

If there was a CHI-TWO day train, that would obviously open up connections from the Mid-West to VIA trips in Canada.
Great to know. :) Thanks for the update.

I'll jump off the wall for a moment and suggest Long Island.

Now, I'll wait for the snickering to stop. Yes, you've got the LIRR, but that doesn't change the fact that you sometimes have to change trains twice (Jamaica and Penn) or the fact that time advantages for rail travel along the NEC get killed off pretty badly once you spend an hour+ getting to Penn Station. This is the biggest reason I prefer the Long Island/Tunnel version of the NextGen NEC project, actually.

Moving along, I would argue that Roanoke is pretty far up the list at the moment. I'm not sure that a service operating more or less parallel to I-81 could generate requisite ridership (being so much slower than the NEC), but there are some places along this general line that could do with connections to the NEC and/or elsewhere (Winchester seems to be a long-term candidate for access to the NEC).

Chi- Indianapolis Should be 2x daily

Chi- Cincinnati Should be 1x daily

Chi- Louisville / Nashville Should be daily

Chi- MSP Should be 2x day

Chi-Toledo/ Cleveland Morning departure to evening departure back

KC St Louis / Indianapolis/ Cincinnati and or Columbus Daily

MSP Omaha KC Daily

Denver OKC Dallas Houston Daily

NOL Biloxi Mobile Pensacola Tallahasee JAX Daily

CHI To Atlanta To Florida ( can be continuatinon of Louisville or Cinci service)

BOS Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back