Most scenic route from east to west

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the best thing to do is to take the Zephyr to Oakland, spend a night there and then catch the coastal train to LA. Thank you for all your help
Actually you'll want to spend the night in Emeryville since that's where the Zephyr Terminates.( I wouldn't recommend staying in Oakland,even around Jack London Square where the Rail Station is)

There is a Nice High Rise Hotel just across the Tracks from the Station ( used to be Hyatt, not sure now) and several Major Hotels close to the Station ( HIlton,Marriott)that a Cab or Ride share can get you to/from quickly.

As far as staying in Oakland, is the "Z Hotel Jack London Square" what was formerly named the "Inn at Jack London Square"?

We stayed at the Inn at Jack London Square for a couple of nights in 2014 and it was fine. I think it is also used by some Amtrak employees instead of the places at Emeryville which are considerably more expensive. However you have to watch the hotel names carefully in Oakland as we were advised against staying at the "Jack London Inn" which was different hotel in the area.

Last edited:
The Hyatt House at Emeryville is actually directly adjacent to the station. There are several restaurants nearby, too. A very safe neighborhood, and easy access to the rest of the Bay Area via the EmerygoRound.

As far as staying in Oakland, is the "Z Hotel Jack London Square" what was formerly named the "Inn at Jack London Square"?

We stayed at the Inn at Jack London Square for a couple of nights in 2014 and it was fine. I think it is also used by some Amtrak employees instead of the places at Emeryville which are considerably more expensive. However you have to watch the hotel names carefully in Oakland as we were advised against staying at the "Jack London Inn" which was different hotel in the area.
There are three hotels/motels at Jack London Square. I've stayed in all three. The Jack London Inn is the bottom ranked (one stay was enough), the Z Hotel mentioned above is the mid-rank and the Waterfront Inn is the top ranked. All three are within rolling distance of the Amtrak station. There are good restaurants in the area.

I am resurrecting this thread and wonder if all you helpful people are still out there. Our dream trip has, sadly turned into a trip for one. My husband died in September of 2022 and I have finally gotten to the point where I think I shall resurrect our bucket list and make it my bucket list. Quick, before I die unexpectedly too. This may be a bit of a SKI trip (Spending the Kids' Inheritance) since I'll only do it once and want comfort and ease.

So I've have taken your good advice and am holding a reservation for mid June on the Cardinal from Charlottesville to Chicago (roomette) , the Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville (bedroom) and then, the next day on to Los Angeles so that I can see the great architecture in Pasedena.

Travelling alone, I am now focusing on safety as well as ease. Do any of you know of a goo hotel in a good part of Emeryville. What is the safest way to get from LA Union Station to Pasadena at 10 pm? And similarly, if anyone is from near Pasadena, where would you stay in the historic district? I am hoping to find a guide there to make sure I don't miss any of the wonderful old houses/buildings. We did the Library and Museum eight years ago when we had a grand at UCLA.

Thank you Bee Lady

Oh yes, and is there a bedroom number from Chicago to California that is better than the others that I should ask for for best views, quieter, etc. And how about the Cardinal, what side should I sit on head west?

Thank you !!!

I am resurrecting this thread and wonder if all you helpful people are still out there. Our dream trip has, sadly turned into a trip for one. My husband died in September of 2022 and I have finally gotten to the point where I think I shall resurrect our bucket list and make it my bucket list.
I am sorry for your loss. Good for you getting to the point where you are ready for this adventure again!

In Emeryville I would heartily recommend the Hyatt House Hotel. You take the pedestrian overpass from the Amtrak platform and you are in the hotel parking lot.

Have you thought of adding the Sunset Limited to your trip, IMO it is one of the great train rides of the world with varied, interesting and sometimes very beautiful scenery through all 5 states. Not always traditional beauty, but everywhere there is something to see.

It's a differnt ride to the others you have chosen, but it doesn't fail to charm for many.

Wish you well on you adventure, I'm sure your husband is proud of of you.

Have you thought of adding the Sunset Limited to your trip, IMO it is one of the great train rides of the world with varied, interesting and sometimes very beautiful scenery through all 5 states. Not always traditional beauty, but everywhere there is something to see.

It's a differnt ride to the others you have chosen, but it doesn't fail to charm for many.
I think many would disagree with you. OTOH, the scenery on the Zephyr & Builder are universally acclaimed.

I think many would disagree with you. OTOH, the scenery on the Zephyr & Builder are universally acclaimed.
There are many opinions are there are train travelers. Agree the Zephyr and Builder are top of the list, but I, too very much enjoyed the Sunset/TE rides I have had provided great enjoyment,

I would in part agree with you but to be fair I did write "Not always traditional beauty"

Starting and ending in two of the great cities of the US, crossing deserts, prairie and swampland with mountains in the distance is a pretty good mix for any rail journey. Add to that close-up extensive views of the world famous southern border with Mexico and it's an always fascinating ride on a great train.

So yes, maybe for the majority the classical idea of scenic beauty is bettered by the Zephyr and Empire Builder, but don't forget the old chestnut, ' Beauty is in the eye of the beholder '

Thank you for your help. I'll the Zephyr this year and perhaps do the Sunset next.

On the trip west from Chicago, is there a good side/bad side of the train? Currently I just reserved my tix (not bought yet) and have been given room
E room in car 0532.

I just noticed that most of you seem to have positions on trains. Clearly you love trains and love working on them. I love them too ever since I travelled with my mum from Chicago to Boston to see grandparents in Salem in the 40s. As a little girl I was most impressed with real white linens, silverplate and white china and men who served us fabulous food. They wore handsome white jackets with a double row of brass buttons.

Now....I'm going to see if I can transfer my husband's reward points before I buy the tickets.

Oooops. I've been given this from Charlottesville to Chicago

Accommodation: Roomette 8 In Car 5100

Is that the best room to have?

We are partial to the Southwest Chief which essentially follows the same route as the Santa Fe Chief and the Super Chief, once the preferred trains of the Hollywood movie stars and other VIPs. (One didn’t just travel from Chicago to Los Angeles, one “Chiefed it.”) Scenery-wise, there are the red sandstone bluffs east of Gallup, the Sandia Mountains, Apache Canyon, the Santa Fe National Forest, Shoemaker Canyon, and Raton Pass, to name just a few highlights.

Eric & Pat

Last edited:
I just noticed that most of you seem to have positions on trains. Clearly you love trains and love working on them.
The "positions" are based on factors like post count with most of us being rail enthusiasts with no formal connection to Amtrak.

Now....I'm going to see if I can transfer my husband's reward points before I buy the tickets.
Transferring points is almost never worth it as many points will be lost in the transfer. You can buy tickets in anyone's name so long as you control the account. For that reason it's usually better to book a different leg/direction from each account instead of transferring.

Transferring points is almost never worth it as many points will be lost in the transfer. You can buy tickets in anyone's name so long as you control the account. For that reason it's usually better to book a different leg/direction from each account instead of transferring.
I'm not familiar with the Amtrak program's specific rules but many of the similar airline and hotel programs do provide for a "penalty-free" one time transfer of points in the OP's unfortunate situation. It usually requires proof of the situation and relationship in writing as opposed to electronic. That said, your advice if one has access to the account is by far the easiest route. That's what I've told my wife to do should the problem arise.

Wish you well on you adventure, I'm sure your husband is proud of of you.
I decided to take the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from St Louis to LA. I was sort of reluctant to do so because of what I heard. I absolutely loved it. I liked it so much I am doing it again this year. Very interesting changes in scenery

I decided to take the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited from St Louis to LA. I was sort of reluctant to do so because of what I heard. I absolutely loved it. I liked it so much I am doing it again this year. Very interesting changes in scenery
If only the Sightseer Lounge,2nd Sleeper and Traditional Dinning could be returned to the Eagle between CHI and SAS!!!

Last edited:
On the trip west from Chicago, is there a good side/bad side of the train? Currently I just reserved my tix (not bought yet) and have been given room
E room in car 0532. Is that a good room? Should I ask for another? Thank you.

Ooops, No. I have room B.

If only the Sightseer Lounge,2nd Sleeper and Traditional Dinning could be returned to the Eagle between CHI and SAS!!!
Hey move change.org has a petition to return the Sightseer Lounge Car to the Texas Eagle. And I mentioned in another post Amtrak is putting 5 Sightseers Lounge Cars along with 18 other Super Liners back in service between now and Oct1. And the prices for for Texas Eagle Rooms just dropped dramatically for October in the past week, so maybe the Lounge and second sleeper will be returning. We can only hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
E room in car 0532. Is that a good room? Should I ask for another? Thank you.
There’s no way to know which side of the train your room will be in till you board. The cars can be oriented either way.

In addition to what joelkfla just said, I don't think there's really any way to tell if the bedrooms in your car will be on the north or south side of the train.

FWIW, the north side is best for photography as that'll be the shady side with no sun glaring off the dirty windows. But as far as which side has the best scenery, see for yourself by following along the route using Google Earth or the FRA Safety Map with Imagery selected as the Base Map.

You can also look at the no longer published but archived Amtrak Route Guide for each route.

Last edited:
There’s no way to know which side of the train your room will be in till you board. The cars can be oriented either way.
Supposedly some people have figured it out by looking at track side video and working out which set is going to be theirs and then analyzing which way the cars are oriented, but that probably only works a few days out (assuming no last minute changes) and requires a level of dedication I do not possess. I'm not sure how you'd change anything (and avoid being penalized) even if you figured out you were going to be on the "wrong" side anyhow.

In the past I would tell people to head to the lounge car when passing through exceptional scenery but these days they may not have a lounge car to visit. Hard to imagine it would take more than 5 minutes of planning and 15 minutes of moving to orient an inbound car/cut so that people can choose what they want and Amtrak can sell the more popular side/car for a premium. I'm sure they have their reasons but it's clear a lot of people would like to choose and some would pay.

Hard to imagine it would take more than 5 minutes of planning and 15 minutes of moving to orient an inbound car/cut so that people can choose what they want and Amtrak can sell the more popular side/car for a premium.
The sleeping cars of the NYC's 20th Century Limited were always oriented so that the bedroom windows looked out on the Hudson River.

Back