MORE Newbie Empire Builder from Montana Questions!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scutterbear

Train Attendant
hey again everyone. Thanks again for the last Q/A session. You folks are really very nice and helpful and I appreciate that so much since I am new to train travel.

I do have a couple more questions, if you folks would be willing to help me with them.

1. I did book a roomette on both empire builder and city of new orleans.

Empire Builder - Room 013 - Car830

CONO - room 003 - car 5900

I have no idea what that means? did I do good? :eek: ) And please tell me they are upstairs so I can see better.

----------------------------------

2. On the train in the roomettes, do they provide you with a blanket and pillow each night or should I bring my own?

----------------------------------

3. On the CONO, my train will pull into memphis at 6:30Am. So I am wondering, should I bring an alarm clock with me to put in the room or will the car attendant wake me up before it's time for me to get off the train?

------------------------------------

4. On this trip, I was kind of hoping to just spend as much time ALONE as I can. I've had one day in the last two years all to myself. I kinda need some ALONE time. :eek: ) So I was wondering when it comes to eating the included meals, can I request to have those brought to my roomette instead of me having to do to the dining car? And if so, who do I make that request to and when?

I know folks enjoy meeting and talking to lots of other people, and that might be nice at a later time. for now, I want peace and quiet. :eek: )

---------------------------------------

5. I will have a four hour lay over in Chicago from about 4pm to 8pm. What do I do while waiting? Is there anything at all to do at the CHI train station? Or do I just find a bench and sit it out for the four hours?

I probably won't be up to being too adventerous so I probably won't go far from the train station, other than to find somewhere to smoke a ciggy a few times. LOL, I am a chicken I guess, but I don't want to get lost in the big city. :eek: )

-------------------------------

I think that is about it. I am sure that I will have more questions but I leave tues so I will have to wing it from that point on. I am going to carry my camcorder with me and will take video. I have a youtube channel so once I get home and get the vids done, I will let everyone here on the forum know and will post links in case anyone is interested in watching them. I thought it would be neat to do some in-train vids as they were helpful to me watching others.

Thanks ladies and gents!!

Mark

Mark,

1. Well, I can tell you that on the EB, you're downstairs next to the family bedroom, and on the CONO, you're upstairs, first car next to the diner, right next to the SCA (who is in room #1).

2.) Yes, you get a blanket and pillows. And a sheet. ;)

3.) Your car attendant will wake you. No need for an alarm unless you want one. I use my cell phone for that.

4.) Yes, you can request from your SCA that meals be brought to your room.

5.) Since you're in first class, you will have access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, and you should use it. Personally (although I don't know what is right near CUS, others can/will chime in), I would see what is close to the station in Chicago and get out for a bit.

Hope this helps!

-Sav

savoirfaire did a good job of answering your questions. I will add the following:

1. I have never noticed that much of a difference in view between lower level and upper level roomettes. Maybe in a town, on the upper level you have a better view over buildings, but out in the country, the view seems pretty much the same to me.

2. You will also be provided with towels, so you don't need to bring those.

5. At Chicago Union Station, there is an attended baggage room in the Metropolitan Lounge where you can store any hand luggage you have with you, so you can unburden yourself if you do decide to go out and see a bit of the city. (You will be a couple of blocks from the tallest building in the USA; even if you don't go up in it, you ought to at least walk over and look up at it.)

Although you can use the Metropolitan Lounge to park your bags, while at Union Station you should locate a map of the facility and walk over to the Great Hall. It was the station before the decison was made to construct the current commuter passenger rat maze. It is one of the classic structures of the railroad era.

Mark,

While everyone is correct that the attendant should wake you, I'd still set my own alarm just to be safe. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally they do forget. Or worse, they wake you so late that you only have a few minutes to get your stuff together and get off the train.

As for meals in the room, understand that things might not be prompt and quite as hot as if you were in the dining car. Be patient with the attendant, as they do have many other duties to perform. And be sure to tip the attendant after each meal delivered.

The car numbers are displayed on a variable number sign right next to the door of each car. It's not the painted on inventory numbers you see high up on the cars. The number also indicates where your car is in relation to the other cars on the train. In both cases your sleeping car is right next to the dining car.

Sounds like a fun trip. This is something I would do in Chicago if I was you. Check out the Grand Hall at CUS. Leave all your bags or whatever you have at the Metropolitan Lounge. You will like that place if you want privacy. Walk out of CUS to "Jackson Street" and either go to Giordano's Pizza a few blocks away or check out the Sears Tower. (Its called the Willis Tower now) Those would be two things I would do. You may only have time to do one though. Also, I have always brought my own pillow and inside my pillow case I stuff an extra blanket, then I take that and bungee cord it to my carryon with wheels. That way if you don't like Amtrak's pillows or you need another blanket, you have one.

Part of the train experience is getting to know people. Obviously that doesn't sound like its in the cards for you this trip but please be courteous to others who may try to strike up a conversation with you. Train travel is almost expected for folks to "get to know each other". On a plane they would think your crazy, on a train its kinda natural. If you do get board or lonely, you can always go about the train and meet people. One thing though I may try if I was you, at least eat one meal on the EB in the Dining Car. You will be placed with other folks but at least try it once and do it at the start of your trip. That way if you enjoy it, you can choose to either eat in your room or go to the dining car.

I've heard the Memphis train station is in a rough part of the city. Be careful. Have fun on this trip and kick back and relax!

Hey folks - Sorry about the double empty reply. I'm new on this board and I don't think the confirmation code thing works on my Mac. Now if only I could clean it up...

The points I was trying to make to the original poster are:

(1) drop your bags in the Metro Lounge and hit the great hall. Don't sit in the Metro Lounge, it's damn boring and you'll be run over by luggage carts and wheelchairs. Walk due west from the metro lounge, past the ticket counters and the Metra area and there you are in the Great Hall. As a bonus there is a great bar/restaurant there (can't remember the name) that looks like it's been there forever. Popular place for travelers and locals to eat and relax, I've even taken to-go onto my trains. There are stairs from the hall up to street level if you need (cold) air.

(2) The Sears Tower (now Willis Building) is neat but to get to the top is 15 or 20 bucks and takes some time. You are subjected to a history movie and significant security screening. If you have the time and can pull it off the views are great. It's a couple of blocks to the east of CUS.

But odds are your inbound will be late, you'll want to be boarding as soon as they call for CONO, so your 4 hour layover will likely be reduced to the extent you won't be able to go far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back