More new rider questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbark

Train Attendant
I have a couple of questions regarding the train trip I'm planning. They have probably been answered over and over since this is such a great forum and all bases get covered.. but here goes.

I'm going to Sacramento from Indianapolis (yes I live less than a mile from the Beech Grove facility) and on the return trip would like to go from Sacramento via Seattle or Portland and possibly stop over in Glacier for 2 nights so I'm looking to book through the Multi-city avenue.

According to the schedules I've seen, 1 night stay over in Seattle or Portland will be required to catch the Empire Builder east to Glacier. Any suggestions on a nearby hotel? Once in Glacier, we plan to see the park as much as we can in 2 or 3 days before catching the train back to Indy via Chicago. Any suggestions on what to see or where to stay while in Glacier?

We are planning on sleeper accommodations on all long legs of the trip. My husband is considered handicapped due to knee replacement surgery. Would it be proper to try to book the Handicapped room?

If we get detoured on a bus, does Amtrak refund or credit for the purchase of sleeper accommodations?

Which way is the most scenic route on the Coast Starlight, Sac to Portland or Sac to Seattle?

I've seen folks talk about taking a GPS system to follow their travels... Any specific type I should buy?

Any suggestions to make this trip better?

Thank you! :D

According to the schedules I've seen, 1 night stay over in Seattle or Portland will be required to catch the Empire Builder east to Glacier. Any suggestions on a nearby hotel?
There are several hotels in downtown Portland. That public transportation, including light rails, are part of free fare zone. You might want to check with hotels.com.

I can't say about Seattle area, since I'm not well familiar with it.

We are planning on sleeper accommodations on all long legs of the trip. My husband is considered handicapped due to knee replacement surgery. Would it be proper to try to book the Handicapped room?
There are some roommettes located on that same level as handicapped room. Generally, handicapped room is usually reserved for wheelchair/motorized cart. About two weeks before the departure date, that available room will go sale to anybody. In additional to that, there are several bathrooms and a shower. In upper level, there is one bathroom.

However, there is no access to other cars on lower level. Only the upper level has access to all cars, accept for crew car. The stairs is quite narrow and steep.

If we get detoured on a bus, does Amtrak refund or credit for the purchase of sleeper accommodations?
Yes. You'll have to call Amtrak reservation for it.

Which way is the most scenic route on the Coast Starlight, Sac to Portland or Sac to Seattle?
Between Portland and Seattle is mountains, but not too steep. You will see the waterline (Pudget Sounds) as you are getting closer to Seattle. The tracks are roughly followed along I-5, if you want to check on the map.

For Empire Builder, if you are taking Portland, the scenic is along Columbia River, depending on the time of day. If taking Seattle, you will follow along the Pudget Sounds before turning east toward the Cascades. Both trains will meet at Spokane in middle of the night, joining as one unit.

Once in Glacier, we plan to see the park as much as we can in 2 or 3 days before catching the train back to Indy via Chicago. Any suggestions on what to see or where to stay while in Glacier?
There basically are four stops on the EB for Glacier Nat'l Park: Whitefish, West Glacier, Essex, and East Glacier. Choice of hotels will depend on the time of year you are planning to take the trip, and how far in advance you plan to make reservations (since some places may sell out for some dates in the summer). The major lodges/hotels by/in Glacier (e.g. Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier and Many Glacier Hotel up in the park itself) are only open in the warm weather months. Also some of the smaller mom/pop motels in East Glacier only operate in the warm weather. And the EB itself only stops in East Glacier during the warm months (see the schedule for when it switches to the alternate stop: Browning, MT).

The Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier Nat'l Park is of course only open during the summer (this year the last stretch opened on July 1, 2008 when they finally finished the last bit of snow plowing). It is this road which is the key to really seeing the park, unless one is really in good shape and ready for some long hikes with back packs. Having just been on that road on July 3, 2008, I'd highly recommend going to the park when it is open. You can either drive the road yourself, or park near the start and ride the shuttle buses (which are "free"--i.e. they increased the entrance fee from last year, so you're paying for the shuttle system whether you use it or not!).

Here is a quick summary of my limited experience with lodging/vehicle rental in the Glacier Nat'l Park area.

Whitefish, MT has a lot of places to stay, and since there is skiing in the area, AFAIK, most are open year round. I stayed in the Good Medicine Lodge (only nine rooms as I recall), but a great place. Open year round. Breakfast included in the price of the room. And the owner will give you a ride to the depot (about half a mile). You can make an auto reservation with Hertz which has a desk right in the Whitefish depot and pick up your rental vehicle right there at the depot. The drive to the west side of the park from Whitefish is not too far, and scenic in any event. Good Medicine Lodge has a website.

For a more rustic experience, and to stay in the mountains themselves, the Izaak Walton Inn/Hotel in Essex, MT is very nice. Breakfast included in the price of the room. The train stops right around a little bend from the Inn, although they have a red van that meets the trains each day anyway. And you can reserve a rental vehicle right at the Izaak Walton Inn--they had about six available when I was there in July. In the Inn, there are a lot of railroad photos/items, which are quite interesting to browse. I like the Izaak Walton Inn. And the mountains around it are beautiful. The Izaak Walton Inn has a website.

In East Glacier, I stayed once at the Glacier Park Inn/Hotel. It has quite a history, dating back to 1913. Huge tree trunks hold up the main lobby (photos of this abound in books about Glacier Nat't Park). It's worth going inside just to see the lobby. However, this is more expensive than the other two places mentioned above. And breakfast was not included in the room charge. Several car rental places are in East Glacier--I rented from the Sears Motel (about three blocks from the Glacier Park Inn/Hotel). The Glacier Park Inn/Hotel (and the other lodges up in the park itself) also can be seen on a website).

The main thing is to call/or use the internet to make reservations for both hotel and rental vehicles as far ahead as possible if stopping in the Glacier area during the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a LIST of hotels near transit in many locations - including Portland and Seattle!

Between Seattle and Portland or Seattle, the Coast Starlight has only one route. It will get to Portland before it gets to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back